Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Seas L'Orient build  (Read 12200 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Black Seas L'Orient build
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
Here is the base after the wash was dry:

Next I gave the base a heavy wash of dark blue. I thought I might have to do this twice but the first one gave me a great color so I stopped there. Also note by "heavy" wash I mean lots of paint with little water. Here's the base, washes complete:

Be sure that each wash has plenty of time to dry or the next layer will mix and that turns into a disaster.

As a sidelight....

Folks shouldn't hestitate to visit their local art supplier. These folks are having a bit of a hard time ATM (at least here) and their products are just as good, in many cases as those offered by hobby companies... for a third the cost.

I bought this stuff at the art store for this project:

The apricot paint is great and it came in a 60ml bottle which allowed me to take about a third of it and add in a darker color for a shade in another bottle. The brush with a yellow handle I used for the washes and the other brush will be used for dry brushing. Look at those bristles! They cost about 2,50 euros.

The next phase will be dry brushing the base.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
Both interesting and impressive, Ray!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »
Quote from: Ray Rivers
Be sure that each wash has plenty of time to dry or the next layer will mix and that turns into a disaster.
Too true.  Having that problem myself at the moment.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
Danke, Hammers!  :)

Once the blue wash was dried I went back to Foundry Storm Green and painted around the hull and then did a very heavy dry bush with the same color over the entire base. This photo doesn't look very good. It is way more green than the actual base, but it gives you an idea of what I did:

Next I took the Vellejo Pastel Green and went around the haul trying to just touch it a bit to simulate foam and then did a light dry brush over the entire base. I also took the opportunity to paint the base edge dark blue and touch up my ship. Here is what it looks like and a good photo this time:

So that's it; not the greatest but it will do. I'm not going to highlight it with white because it looks quite nice as it is. I will need to varnish it and make a couple more touch ups. For my next ship, doing the base will be the first thing I do, and then I will start painting the ship.

Next up, the masts...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »
I think the sea works well. Looking forward to seeing the masts go on  :)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Danke, Hammers!  :)

Once the blue wash was dried I went back to Foundry Storm Green and painted around the hull and then did a very heavy dry bush with the same color over the entire base. This photo doesn't look very good. It is way more green than the actual base, but it gives you an idea of what I did:

Next I took the Vellejo Pastel Green and went around the haul trying to just touch it a bit to simulate foam and then did a light dry brush over the entire base. I also took the opportunity to paint the base edge dark blue and touch up my ship. Here is what it looks like and a good photo this time:

So that's it; not the greatest but it will do. I'm not going to highlight it with white because it looks quite nice as it is. I will need to varnish it and make a couple more touch ups. For my next ship, doing the base will be the first thing I do, and then I will start painting the ship.

Next up, the masts...

Very nice. My only comment from doing 1/1200 is that it's often easier to touch up the ships hull of you do the base last, because if you accidentally get hull colours onto the base, it's harder to touch up. The other thing is to tack the hull down with a tiny dab of Elmer's or similar, build up the base then remove the hull for separate painting and glue in place when finished on a separate painting base.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2019, 12:11:27 PM »
Wonderful stuff Ray. It’s really taking shape now. The sea looks great! Can’t wait to see it with the masts and sails on ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
Very nice. My only comment from doing 1/1200 is that it's often easier to touch up the ships hull of you do the base last, because if you accidentally get hull colours onto the base, it's harder to touch up. The other thing is to tack the hull down with a tiny dab of Elmer's or similar, build up the base then remove the hull for separate painting and glue in place when finished on a separate painting base.

Ah! Once again some very sensible advice. Thank you!

Wonderful stuff Ray. It’s really taking shape now. The sea looks great! Can’t wait to see it with the masts and sails on ;D

I can't either! Damn I've been at it for 3 weeks and it still isn't finished!  lol

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
I am really impressed by the amount of work you are putting in to this
looking good :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks a heap, Colin!

The Age of Sail has always been one of my favorite historical eras. Never had the opportunity to do it until Warlord released their Black Seas range.

I have a feeling it won't be the last ship I paint.  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
Masts are pretty much ready for mounting (need some slight paint touch ups and varnish):

Again, not the greatest but it will do.

My plan is to start at the front and work back. So the next step will be to mount the bowsprit and foremast, paint the lower part of the spar and then do all the rigging in between. Once that is finished I will mount the mainmast, and do the same thing, until I am finished with the rigging.

I am using nylon mono filament (0.2mm gauge) for the rigging which you can just see it at the bottom left (red circle). There are 2 strings attached to the bowsprit which are destined to be attached to the bow.

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
Masts coming on well. :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »
very delicate work I couldn't handle the tiny threads
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

There are all kinds of things I messed up, but hell, got to get this boat finished.  :)

very delicate work I couldn't handle the tiny threads

Too right! But you get used to it. The nylon is really weird to work with. Believe it or not there is a "right" way and "wrong" to tie a knot with it. What happens is after you make the initial loop you have to figure out which side of the loop to actually attach to the ship. One side will allow you to make an easy tight knot. The other side will want to move sideways and fight you to tie it off. Thankfully I use an Optivisor or it would be just plain impossible to use. If you look at the lower knot on the bowsprit, the line is off to the side...  ::)

Just to be a little more clear about how I will rig the ship... As I put up the masts I will be placing the standing rigging that goes fore and aft of the model. So essentially I will be working on the interior rigging, and once that is finished I will put on the stuff that goes from side to side. These ships rigging are like little forests when you work on them so it is best not to have stuff in your way and have to try to work around something that has been already placed.

Next photo will be after I have the bowsprit and foremast, and it's associated standing rigging, attached.

Cheers all!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Fine handiwork Ray. I think the end product is going to look spectacular.