Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Prehistoric tribe versus tribe rules?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Prehistoric tribe versus tribe rules?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
I still think Primeval would do the trick. The Honor mechanic will give the battles a mechanic to determine when a side will break/lose, and why each combat is important. Otherwise, line em up, throw a few rocks, wait for hand to hand to resolve itself, and end.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
Tribal plays fine with small warbands. A bonus is the hunting and creature rules in Primeaval.

Offline Mac

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
We use Tribal Primeval.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102684.msg1274801#msg1274801

We are also creating some custom cards, which Mana Press and Eureka say they might publish.

Offline Mac

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »
We have played the Primeval campaign right through, here are a few shots.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 01:05:32 AM »
Looks great.  I placed an order today for two tribes of Lucid Eye minis (birthday gift to myself).  Still need to source out animals.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
Another vote for Tribal/Primeval. Since my Neanderthals and Cro Magnon aren't completed yet, we've played it with both North European Bronze Age groups and even Minoans. Both worked perfectly.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
Leadasbestos,
                     That is a nice set and nice figures.  Funny though, the Lucid Eye figures are all bundled up, while those are just the opposite.  I guess one could not use them together.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
I just watched a fascinating documentary on the demise of the Neanderthal and their interaction with more modern humans.  What rules are out there that handle skirmishes between tribes of 6 - 12 figures?  Hunting could be a side thing, but tribal action should be the main focus.  I want simple rules.

While I have a number of paleo hunting games on my shelf, for a low-figure count low-tech skirmish game, my recommendation is Steve Jackson Game's The Fantasy Trip Melee.  A new edition of this is back in print, and it has always been superb for small action combat.  Melee is just the combat system from The Fantasy Trip RPG; stick with stone-age tech weapon choices and you're good to go.  Add Wizard if you want to bring fantasy shamans to your tribes.

Melee is designed as a boardgame to be played on a hex grid, but converts easily enough to open miniatures play if you put the figures on hex shaped bases.  Or with a little pencil waving, any other preferred basing.  Basic critters like bears, wolves, and snakes are covered; adding others to taste is simple.
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/the-fantasy-trip-melee