Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Sagrajas 1086 Blog Entry  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Battle of Sagrajas 1086 Blog Entry
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:18:35 AM »
Apologies for a lack of pics of painted wee toy soldiers for the Sagrajas 1086. I managed to leave my camera at a gig in Leeds which a friend picked it up for me and brought it back up North. I have not been able to retrieve my camera as of yet as my mate works quite erratic shifts.

to make up for it here is a description of the battle of Sagrajas from what I have managed to glean so far.

It will be followed soon by a description of how I plan to go about putting together the battle as it was quite a spread out affair and needs to be made to fit the table top.

https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2019/12/battle-of-sagrajas-1086.html

Cheers

Picture is of the painting of King Alfonso VI of Leon-Castile:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:04:49 PM by Atheling »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Battle of Sagrajas 1086 Blog Entry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 07:28:31 PM »
Good stuff, Darrell. There’s an article and scenarios about the battle in the pipeline for a future issue of WSS which you’ll doubtless pick up.  Looks like you have collected quite a lot of information there already.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
Good stuff, Darrell. There’s an article and scenarios about the battle in the pipeline for a future issue of WSS which you’ll doubtless pick up.  Looks like you have collected quite a lot of information there already.

Thanks James  :)

I've got a copy on order. I bought the La Batalla de Zalaca 1086, Castilla y Leon frente al poder almoravid, Jose M Gonzalez Lanzarote, Guerreros y Bataillas and used Google translate! Quite an experience.... obviously the literal meaning of the text got a bit lost in translation at times  lol

I've got a few other (more serious) history books to read yet so my view of what happened at Sagrajas is not written in stone.

Back to the painting table! :)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »
Good read, Darrell. Just a minor thing. I think that you want to mean "fonsado", not "fossata". A "fonsado" was, literally, a call to arms, a muster of knights and council militias for a specific operation, whether an "algara" (chevauchee/raid) or to meet an enemy army, as it happened at Sagrajas/Zalaca.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »
Good read, Darrell. Just a minor thing. I think that you want to mean "fonsado", not "fossata". A "fonsado" was, literally, a call to arms, a muster of knights and council militias for a specific operation, whether an "algara" (chevauchee/raid) or to meet an enemy army, as it happened at Sagrajas/Zalaca.

Thanks Antonio. It really does seem that words can get *very* lost in translation  o_o.

I'll amend the post ASAP.

Thanks for your input  8)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »
Great stuff mate, look forward to the photos

Cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
Great stuff mate, look forward to the photos

Cheers
Matt

Me too! I'm still painting away but there's no sign of my camera yet- it's a tricky one as my mate's shifts are erratic.....  :?

I might just have to update my camera! :D