Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any Zanzibar Experts In The House?  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Any Zanzibar Experts In The House?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
He was an important and rich man (and even a district governor for the Congo Free State at one point). So while he possibly wouldn't have worn the swankiest Zanzibar fashions in the field, he'd still probably want to impress his followers, so I don't imagine he'd be shabbily-dressed either. It's not as if he'd have to pick up a machete and swing it himself, after all.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 07:37:37 AM »
... So while he possibly wouldn't have worn the swankiest Zanzibar fashions in the field, he'd still probably want to impress his followers

Sounds fair enough to me!

Dan

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:10 PM »
IIRC, shortly after I traveled through East Afrika in '95/'96 I read The Last Hero by Peter Forbath.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/773652.The_Last_Hero

Very enjoyable, if a little embellished.
I also use the 15mm Irregular riflemen as my Zanzibaris.
The Baluchis from ERM are quite good but a bit bigger than some 15's.
I've put a picute of him at the bottom on my pics.

I took a few pictures of Bagamoyo and Zanzibar.
The pics of Bagamayo are the German Bomba and the Custom house. The third  pic is of the Hotel which Emin Pasha fell off the balcony to his death.
Fourth is a pic of Zanzibar The Sultans palace is (IIRC) the Clocktower on the left and the two white triangles are the church on the former site of the slave market.
The fifth is from the inside of the fort.
The sixth is me, having just recovered from Malaria (nearly died).
This was during Ramadan, and quite sweltering. You would walk outside and suddenly realise you are soaking wet, like a bucket of sweat just tossed over us. You didn't even register getting hot.
The seventh is a comparison  pic. The fellow in white is a Baluchi from ERM

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:31:25 PM by Deflatermouse »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 06:05:37 PM »
IIRC, shortly after I traveled through East Afrika in '95/'96 ...

The sixth is me, having just recovered from Malaria (nearly died) ...
This was during Ramadan, and quite sweltering. You would walk outside and suddenly realise you are soaking wet, like a bucket of sweat just tossed over us. You didn't even register getting hot ...

Dear God, man!  That’s such a horrible experience.  So glad you pulled through it.  Not many do once it has taken full hold of you.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »
I played against two Kenyan twins (18 yrs old) at a tennis tourney, and my gf and I have kinda taken them under our wing. 

They want to take us to Kenya, and evidently can travel freely through neighboring countries, and Zanzibar.  They have family everywhere a gamer would want to go, including Sudan.    We are thinking its a cant refuse thing, so next summer.....Our The Sword And The Flame fantasy trip is a must!

anyway,they say Zanzibar is a lot "the hood" mixed with "Country Club" living...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:59:13 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 08:50:50 AM »
I can’t speak for figure ranges but having lived in Oman for a few years which of course was intrinsically linked with Zanzibar after they ousted the Portuguese I assume that the style of dress prevalent in Oman during the period in question is likely To have been heavily influential in Zanzibar.  There are a few articles and references to Omani historical dress around on the net you could try?

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 03:32:21 AM »
I assume that the style of dress prevalent in Oman during the period in question is likely To have been heavily influential in Zanzibar.  There are a few articles and references to Omani historical dress around on the net you could try?

Excellent tip.  I’ll look around.  Thanks so much.

Dan