Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The fight at Yb-Gur  (Read 3099 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
The fight at Yb-Gur
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
A Galactic Heroes game. The usual suspects:-
Flatpack (1950s Rocket men); Dicemaster (EVIL !!!!); JC (Shore Party); Vodkafan (Free traders)
and for the first time, though hopefully not the last, Digits (Accountants).

The planet Yb-Gur had once been important & held a prime place in the forming of the Union,
though now it was well past its best. The group of 13 systems breaking away to form a League
weakened it further. As it was in the neighbourhood of various nefarious factions from Yr-Ten-Voc
they often sought to acquire 'goods' from the large scrap yards full of long forgotten & abandoned
projects.  Today though something different has happened. The yard at L-Lew-Sha has started to
show an unusual energy signature. The same signature as used to be used by the Forman class
submarines, and if anyone cared to give the data banks a cursory search they would note that
some 15 years ago the invoices for L-Lew-Sha showed the Union ship 'Arch-Angel' listed. She
was of the Forman class. If the energy signature was true, the sub was still there & it could be
started... a kings ransom in salvage awaits.

I took very few pictures, but I hope the others will add theirs & their views.
First few are of the basic set up (though thanks to Flatpacks generous & early Christmas gifts
of scenery, to myself & Dicemaster, it changed slightly for the game itself)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: The fight at Yb-Gur
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »
Some pictures of troops in action.
1) One from the Shore Patrol
2) & 3) The Accountants take time off, from a fire-fight with the Rocket-men,
            to invoice the stock using spare forms from their utility belts.
4) & 5) Freebooters go looking for the power source, but had difficulty keeping to
           the task, as at least one of the crew kept stopping to tinker with old machinery.
6) & 7) Rocket-men.  They took a hell of a pasting at the hands of the Accountants,
           but were the only ones to get onto & start, the Arch Angel. The jet packs were
           a great help, as it turned out the 'water' turned out to be acid. the only other
           team to even get close, the Shore Patrol, lost a boot,& very nearly a foot, trying
           to wade out to the sub. 

As usual with our games much hilarity throughout our game.
We hope Digits comes again & that he liked Galactic Heroes.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:49 PM »
I very much enjoyed the game and meeting you all!  Thanks also for the hospitality...refilling brew mug, snacks, Christmas present  and card too!

The game is simple to learn and fun to play.  Ok, I kinda gave up looking for the data source when I realised I stood little chance ig getting to the sub with it, so I decided to concentrate on slugging it out with the rocket boys.....if we play again, I’ve three shiny, hardly used rocket packs to use!  lol

Looking forward to the next one, cheers guys.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:22:38 PM »
It was great to meet Digits and to see again all the old crew! A fun game. I didn't take too many photos and they are focused on what my team was getting up to, but here they are, with my version of events:

A view of the scrap yard and the abandoned sub in the toxic lake (maybe liquid mercury?), worth a bundle in salvage. This is before the lads came and two more bits of scenery got added to the scrapyard:

Five factions on the board, all looking for power sources for the abandoned super sub. Here are my nearest opponents, the dreaded Accountants. They got off to an early start poking their noses around the joint:

My Freebooters began to move up the scrapyard methodically from one piece of junk to the next, searching for a power source.

They were slowed by Bong who's trait was to start taking everything interesting he saw apart:

Oh no! An Accountant is sniffing around!

The Robot dealt with him:

Luckily the Accountants very quickly got caught up in a nasty firefight with the Rocket men, who had found a power source early.

Our team found one of the power sources and started moving hell for leather in the direction of the sub. Unfortunately we were in plain line of sight of the other two rival scavenger teams. (The red token denotes the portable power source)

Caught in a terrific crossfire the Tech alien Ploquim is killed. For some reason opponents kept using his big purple head as an aiming point  :(

The rocket men, despite having half their team killed, managed to get two men into the sub with their power source and won the game.  The rocket packs were really useful getting over the toxic lake. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:28:54 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
Ah yes.. the dreaded warbot and his big nasty machine gun......poor Ferret didn’t know what hit him..... :'(

Btw, I got home to message that my walter warbot head is incoming....just a tad late.....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:06:48 AM by Digits »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »
Ah yes.. the dreaded warbot and his big nasty machine gun......poor Ferret didn’t know what hit him..... :'(

Btw, I got home to message that my water warbot head is incoming....just a tad late.....

The Accountants certainly could do with a bit of longer range firepower...

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:52 AM »
Looks like a fantastic game.  Thank you for posting this.  The terrain looks amazing. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments. Pictor the scrap yard was made from...scrap. My wife,
God bless her, doesn't throw anything broken out, I get it. I once made a Victorian
Sci-Fi air ship from an old upright vacuum cleaner. It was about 3' long & a bugger
to store. Looked great though & was nice to skirmish over.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
Rocket-men to the rescue.
Once again, 1950 technology rules.
My rocket men did add to the body count on the game yesterday, but as I was the first to find a “sub starter kit” in a bush, then was able to whiz over to the sub, finally open a hatch, then fall down the stairs into the sub (gotta love these rules lol), I finally got the key in the ignition and was about to sail off into the sunset, as we called time on the game.
Here’s some photos of the action.

Initial layout, with the two new items of scenery that were presents for a couple of the chaps.

Debt collectors on the prowl.

Heroic jet pack men fighting evil, and dying quite quickly.

Ongoing battle.

Grenade !

Jet pack men successfully board the sub

New scenery I put together as prezzies for the lads.

Great game, good fun, good rules, good friends. All the right ingredients for a proper laugh.

Flatpack

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
That looks like it was a hoot! Quite the visual treat too.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
After the game I got more of a chance to look at my prezzie from Flatpack.
Lovely it is too, one of those MDF kits which you provide the (empty) drinks can(s).
Taking a wild guess Flatpack, if I scraped off the paint would it say 'Strong Bow' ?

I love the rules, paint a few figures, give them a back story & a few 'traits' then...
have FUN.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
Great pictures. Forman class submarine made me laugh. I knew exactly what I was looking at! lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
I might have known that a Cook would spot that.
The turret I picked up from a bargain box, years ago, for 50p.
Every time it came to the top of the pile again I didn't fancy
making the tank/armoured car/ bunker etc. so it kept going
to the back of the line. Then about two weeks ago...
Light bulb moment & a little bit of work & there it was.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 09:42:46 PM »
Nice twist of a Sci-Fi sub in the mix.

We don't get too many "wet-navy" vessels in Sci-Fi games, which is a pity.

Good to see you've rectified that.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:45 AM »
Thanks Mako. One of our group is ex Royal Navy.
he was the one who put his foot into the 'water' only to
lose his boot to the acid. The Rocket-men got there
first (finally a use for those humping great jet packs),
but other plans for crossing the acid were being planned.
Digits was busy shooting Rocket-men, hoping to work
out how 1950's Earth technology worked, then 'jump' over.
Vodkafan was planning to use his big robot as a raft,
while Dicemaster was happy just blowing thing up.