Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late War Panzer Camo patterns.  (Read 914 times)

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
Late War Panzer Camo patterns.
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »
Greetimgs all,

I have a Panzer 4 primed and ready to paint for my late war Germans. It is a mixed force which includes Heer, SS and other elements. Therefore the units have differing camo patterns. My 250/10 has ambush camo for example.

I am unsure wether to paint my Panzer in some of the Normandy schemes or in an ambush camo scheme which seems to be much later in the war and not very common.

For tabletop purposes I sort of wanted my force to be able to represent Normandy all the way to post Ardennes, so I suppose my question is what patterns did Panzer divisions employ at the time of D-Day and is it.possible through all the various in the field repainting could the same pattern have survived until much later on in the war?

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Re: Late War Panzer Camo patterns.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »
I would go with the standard 3 tone camo - it was still in use in 45

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:19:37 AM by Truscott Trotter »

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
Depends how close to reality you want to be. PzIVs weren't painted in the (factory applied) ambush scheme, nor were most halftracks. The three colour scheme above is your best bet for a generic scheme. At the end of the day it's your model.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:21:15 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
The other thing worth noting is that the three colour scheme could easily be a two colour scheme depending on what paint was available. So I do variants where the base colour is dunkelgelb (and often a lot lighter for scale reasons), and either brown or green is applied.

e.g.

or

Also, depending on what the paint was mixed with, it could vary a lot in colour. Your best bet is to find a picture you like and copy it.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
As already noted three color camouflage is a safe option. You have a lot of freedom in how you apply the three color pattern, however, so you can tailor the look so it suits you. It's also worth noting that during 1944 and 1945 it was also permissible for vehicles to leave factories painted in a red oxide or olive green base coat, rather than dark yellow.