Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Westfalia Chris' LPL 13 portfolio  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Westfalia Chris' LPL 13 portfolio
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
Since it appears to be de rigeur, here's a thread showing my submissions for this year's league.

The key idea was to have a thematically-linked selection of images of recently-painted figures for a Lost World game which I shall be taking to a couple of German conventions in 2020. Also, it was a last-minute participation to make up the numbers and to avoid issues with the Swiss system due to scoring patterns at the given field size.

As they made landfall on the hitherto uncharted island, little did Professor Percush and his assistant Douglas know of the perils awaiting them.

The first encounter with the local natives went reasonably well. Yet, the eerie atmosphere prompted their companions to desert the resourceful researchers.

Still, the unfaithful mariners may have had the right idea, since an ill-advised examination of the local religious practices prompted the nonplussed natives into violent exclamation.

Led before the fair but cruel island queen, the professor and his assistant were sentenced to be cast into the Gate of Death, a mysterious edifice of indeterminable age and make.

As they made their way through the curiously monotone caves, the intrepid explorers encountered horrifying terrors from aeons past.

Emerging into a vast cavern, the professor was stunned to recognize creatures from antediluvian times. Being accosted by leering labyrinthodons, the baffled boffins were only saved by the intervention of a savage who proved to be as courageous as she was comely.

Making their way through the spacious caverns, the party found themselves attacked time and again by strange creatures which seemed to have sprung from the minds of frivolous French novelists and illustrators.

A cruel civilization from a forlorn age! As the heinous Hyperbolemurians seized the two trespassers, Aiela, the ardent amazon managed to evade their captors' notice and followed them as they took the captives to their sunken city.

Fearing for his hold on the remants of Hyperbolemurian civilization, the High Lord (having failed to hypnotize them, for they are stalwart British gentlemen) sentenced the two to be fed to the monstrous Megalosaurus.

In a dazzling display of female fortitude far too shocking to be made public, the ardent amazon Aiela sprung her new friends from the arena of doom just as the ground was ripped asunder by tectonic trembles and volcanic vigour. Dashing to an underground lagoon, the three fugitives were amazed to be rescued by a US Navy submarine which, in a tremendous stroke of luck, had made its way into the forbidden underworld just in time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:23:59 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Westfalia Chris' LPL 13 portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
Nice theme Chris, well done.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:14:23 PM »
Those dastardly Hyperbolemurians deserved it.   lol
All these entries will make for a really nice looking gaming table.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:24:36 PM »
Interesting to see these portfolios, you definitely have a unified theme going on. Well done :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
I'm glad to see them assembled like this in story form. Together they add up to something special. Seeing them like this is really quite different to seeing them one week at a time, and makes me think they should have placed higher. But hey, not much anyone can do about that. The LPL can be a cruel mistress.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
An excellent assemblage Chris - and it tells a story too  8)
What more could one want?
Great stuff  :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Very good to see them altogether like this.  I thought them all excellent entries, but I have a soft spot for the type of movie.   ::)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »
I'm glad to see them assembled like this in story form. Together they add up to something special. Seeing them like this is really quite different to seeing them one week at a time

Totally agreed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect all the dots while paying quick, weekly visits to the forum during my own adventures. I definitely noticed the general continuity, though, and enjoyed it greatly. I wrote somewhere "a damn good story may buy you extra votes" and it happened a few times. :)

Many thanks for the late participation, no matter if it required cutting some corners. I appreciate it a lot. Am I going to see this adventure live in Hamburg?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 02:19:28 PM »
Totally agreed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect all the dots while paying quick, weekly visits to the forum during my own adventures. I definitely noticed the general continuity, though, and enjoyed it greatly. I wrote somewhere "a damn good story may buy you extra votes" and it happened a few times. :)

Many thanks for the late participation, no matter if it required cutting some corners. I appreciate it a lot. Am I going to see this adventure live in Hamburg?

Sadly, not at Tactica - I'm booked for Kiepencon in Muenster in late January and Do or Dice in Rendsburg in April.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Hervorragend!!!

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »
Great set Chris

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »
Inspired work, Chris!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
Well done Chris  8)

Great idea.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »
...the three fugitives were amazed to be rescued by a US Navy submarine which, in a tremendous stroke of luck, had made its way into the forbidden underworld just in time.
Nice to know someone still thinks of us Americans in a positive light.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 03:00:57 AM »
Very well done--nice work.