Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space fighters combat?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Space fighters combat?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
I've always thought that Ganesha Games' Mighty Monsters style engine (where you roll for 'parts' of a single monster as opposed to the usual SOBH engine of rolling to activate models) could work well for dogfighting - must tinker with that.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »
There were some nowadays very old rules for playing space fighters in battlestar galactica:

Fasa 1979 Battlestar galactica https://de.scribd.com/document/98567493/BOARDGAME-FASA-Battlestar-Galactica

Gabbi

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
Wow, lots of replies, thanks everyone!

Silent Death. Wow I totally forgot this. Never played it. Being an old-ish game I fear it could be a tad too detailed/clunky for what I'm looking for, but I'll check this out, just in case.

5150: Fighter Command. Didn't know this. Will take a look, but generally I'm not a fan of Ed Texeira/THW games. Not the games themselves, but how they are written. I find them very "tiresome" to read. Really, stuff is just organized badly.

Daeothar: I think Blackwolf is referring to the original boardgame by Fasa.

Mighty Monsters. I'm generally a fan of Andrea's games, but I think that this and the giant robots one are among the worst iterations of Ganesha SBH engine. These two feel quite "lazy" to me. There wasn't really a better way to depict giant monsters/robots that treating them as a fantasy warband? (i.e. each part like a soldier). Strongly dislike them (albeit I have to admit that the colored dice mechanic is neat).

Battlestar galactica, Bag the Hun, Squadron Commander. Didn't know these at all. Will check them out.

To everyone, whatever is my opinion on the games, a big thank you for taking the time to post suggestions.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »

Mighty Monsters. I'm generally a fan of Andrea's games, but I think that this and the giant robots one are among the worst iterations of Ganesha SBH engine. These two feel quite "lazy" to me. There wasn't really a better way to depict giant monsters/robots that treating them as a fantasy warband? (i.e. each part like a soldier). Strongly dislike them (albeit I have to admit that the colored dice mechanic is neat).

That's interesting - they're my favourite SBH driven games. I'm always looking for games where you can control a single unit but that are actually interesting - I wish they'd translate the gladiator one too.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
Brigade Models has Squadron Commander. http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Gaming/SCR/index.html No idea about how well it plays, but for free it’s worth a look.

Played it a few times.  It's okay, although I wouldn't put it at the top of any lists.  The minis, on the other hand, are absolutely stunning, especially when seen in person.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
5150 fighter command?

Basically solo rules for generating something that looks a lot like Wing Commander missions.

There’s a conversion pdf with Star Wars stats.
Rules allow dog fights as well as attacking big ships with them. There was (it's now OOP) the ruleset and a supplement with a campaign with linked scenarios and new rules. You can ask Ed at Two Hours Wargames for those rules and I'm sure he'll manage something.
You can read many batreps at my blog: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/5150%20Fighter%20Command