Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690791
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Mountain Men/Inspired by Man In The Wilderness  (Read 1787 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
28mm Mountain Men/Inspired by Man In The Wilderness
« on: December 20, 2019, 03:32:53 AM »
The 1970s film Man In The Wilderness is a story of survival in the face of the violence of man and nature.   Let me say to the more bloodthirsty among you that the fighting in this 44 picture collection is found in the second half of this gallery.  The first half is really focused on the scenery.  In part that is due to the fact that the landscape was an essential element of the movie that inspired this collection, and it is also because, in putting this collection together, it captivated my attention.   This is the first time I have attempted a winter layout… it was fun, but a challenge.  I hope you will enjoy the seven sample pictures I have posted here, and move on to view the whole gallery.  As I indicated above, the first half of the gallery is focused on the scenery because while I love the Foundry mountain men and Indians, nature is the main character in this story.  Please check out the complete gallery at www.warin15mm.com Version 2 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3019 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3019a by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3020b by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3883 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3900 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_3913 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm Mountain Men/Inspired by Man In The Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:47:33 AM »
As a fan of the French and Indian War and mountain men, I'm off to devour this gallery.  I'm sure to return and make more comments shortly! 

And I'm back.  I watched much of this develop on Richard's Weekly Workbench feature on his blog and the gallery doesn't disappoint.  As a critter-meister, of course, I love the creatures.  Can't say I saw the earlier movie but I am a fan of The Revenant.  Nice figures and good terrain.

I'm also salivating in anticipation for what Richard discusses is still coming in his writeup alongside the photographs.

I do have one disappointment though (sorry, Richard), he made me wait too long to satisfy my 'blood lust'.   lol

Go have a peak!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:07:13 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »
Wow, most impressive!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
FifteensAway and Clearco, thank you both for taking the time to write and for the kind words.  Looks like my love of mountain men and the great outdoors isn't shared by many.  To those who are viewing this posting and don't have my love of the scenics/terrain features but are interested in 28mm mountain men, believe me the Foundry mountain men are wonderful figures.  Within their Old West line there are about/maybe more 10 different packs of mountain men... really a great assortment.  And as I said in my write-up about the collection, putting together a winter terrain was a great learning experience... one I plan to incorporate in future projects.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
I remember the film from way back . Was John Huston the captain ? I vaguely recall they were moving a boat overland from one river to another. The Foundry mountain men were a lovely range , one of their best , I have quite a few of them .

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »
posters to viewers 40:1.  Plenty of people looking but, as always, only a minority of folks post.  And Mountain Men is a bit of a niche.  I think, also, the winter bit is a bit 'chilling'.  I'll bet your greener mountain man post once displayed will get more results.  We shall see.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Great collection and interesting terrain - it works really well.

RMZ

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Always love any table with effort put into the terrain....looks great and very in keeping.  I’m a big fan of the simple snow drift cut outs, great idea....what did you use please?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
Ramirez and Digits, thank you both.  Very glad you enjoyed the terrain.  The large snow patches are made of felt.  The white felt was purchased at a fabric store and came in pieces that are about 9" x 12".  They tend to cost between 50 and 80 cents per piece depending on whether the store is having a sale or not.  Given the fact that I didn't want the entire table covered in white, I think the felt patches cut in different shapes worked out well.  I included a rather detailed write-up about this collection with the 44 picture gallery on my website.  Thanks again.  Happy Holidays and New Year.  Richard

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
Cracking terrain and figures :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
I never have enough time to look at your site, great stuff

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 05:58:12 AM »
gamer Mac, thank you.  As I said previously, doing a terrain dominated by snow was a new learning experience for me.  I am currently working on a 15/18mm Peninsular War collection... now snow, but when that is done I plan on turning my attention to work related to my Gordon Institute for Archeology and Paranormal Study.  I have used it in a couple of my previous 28mm collections and while engaged in the 15/18mm Peninsular War, I am collecting the elements for a Gordon Instituted Loch Ness scenario as well a establishing a Gordon Institute far north based of study for things coldly mysterious and that will involve more snow.  Thanks again for taking the time to write and for the kind words... always appreciated.  Richard

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
An absolutely superb gallery with some nice ideas for scenery.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Holy crap that's amazing WI15mm!!  :o

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 02:46:14 AM »
Sunjester and Bravo Six, thank you both for taking the time to write and for the very generous words.  Very much appreciated.  If you are interested and find some time, there are more than 20 many-picture galleries dealing with different subjects on my vanity website.  The 15mm/18mm galleries are military/historical in nature and the 28mm are Pulp/Adventure/Sci Fi/Victorian Gothic.  There are a few more 15/18mm galleries than 28mm galleries, but it's almost 50-50.  I was fortunate to have two of my collections featured in Wargames Illustrated this year... a 15/18mm FIW collection (one of my favorites) and a 28mm Post Apoc collection that offers a lot of crazy fun.  I also post my current work (WIP) on my Weekly Workbench each month and those are shifted over to my Workbench Archive at the start of the next month.  Hope you'll take a look at www.warin15mm.com

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 01:07:10 AM »
Happy New Year!