Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686505
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2020 McMordain's crashed Spaceman Spiff ship  (Read 7026 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
BSC2020 McMordain's crashed Spaceman Spiff ship
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:13:53 AM »
I will probably build something for Necromunda/general sci-fi themed.
No idea what, though, at the moment...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:29:34 PM by McMordain »

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2020 McMordain's something something wrecked ruin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 07:50:47 PM »
Look forward to seeing what you come up with

:)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2020 McMordain's crashed Spaceman Spiff ship
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
I was thinking hard what to do, then I remembered my (embarrassingly still unfinished) BSC2017 entry. I used some cinema cup lids in that build with a clear plastic half sphere as canopy. Even back then I thought this would be a great base for a small saucer like space craft, and as I love Calvin and Hobbes, Spaceman Spiff's dashing red spaceship instantly came to mind.

As he almost always wrecks it when landing, I decided that I will build a crash landed Spaceman Spiff spaceship. I also want to play around with the model water I bought for my BSC2018 entry but did not used, so it will be in a pool of some toxic alien goo. Depending on how the build goes I may also do one or two additional pools to go with the centre piece.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
Cool! I'm a fan already  8) :-*

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
A big fan,I'll shall  look forward to this :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:17:13 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »
A big fan,I'll shall forward to this :)

Me to. This should be good.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 09:56:53 PM »
I love this idea! Are there any not-Calvin or Spaceman Spiff minis out there?
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:14:35 AM »
Ooo...I'm watching this with interest!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 12:34:30 AM »
never heard of this

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
Soaceman Spiff is a character that Calvin creates from the Calvin and Hobbes books. Should be a cool build.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 04:17:02 PM »
I did some research to get some reference pictures (which definitely did not turn into reading Calvin and Hobbes comics for a couple of hours...  ;) )

on Flickr

These show the landing gears, the fins at the back, and the cockpit. There is some variation in the main control device, sometimes it is a wheel, other times it is one or two sticks. I will probably go for a wheel. The two tanks(?) behind the pilot seat is very distinctive, they are a must have. The first two pics also show that there is some panelling on the surface of the ship, which is good, as I didn't want to make it with a simple smooth surface.
My main problem is the engine. The last picture is the only one I could find which shows the ship form behind and under. It looks like there is a hole there for some kind of exhaust, but it's not much. I guess I have to come up with something myself.
Also while I would like to make this as close to the original as I can, this will be a terrain piece for 28mm sci-fi and Necromunda, so I will do it a bit more realistic way. I may add some guns to it as well. I have to also decide if I want to make it as a freshly crashed ship or something that has fallen a long time ago.

I had to search for the basic components for the build for a while as I did not remember where I put the clear plastic spheres...

This shows my original idea. Unfortunately the shape of the lids are much more different than I remembered. I think it would be too much work to cut the rim and shape the edge of the ship from something (foam or GS). I don't wan't to use it like as it is either. So I will look for some small plastic plates with a suitable diameter. Hopefully I will find something useful.

gamer Mac: You can read Calvin and Hobbes here for free, if you are interested. As Elk101 said Spaceman Spiff is on of Calvin's imaginary characters, who mostly appeared in the longer and colored Sunday cartoons.

marianas_gamer: Aside of some home-made stuff I couldn't find anything Spaceman Spiff related in miniature form.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
I love this idea! Are there any not-Calvin or Spaceman Spiff minis out there?

Yeah probably nothing official, or anything that's inspired by Calvin and Hobbes specifically, but there's a lot you can do if you have the imagination, and I feel I should at least mention Maledrakh's recent LPL entry for those who might have missed it:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121206.0

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 06:30:02 AM »
nice start
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
Well things didn't go as planed in the last two weeks... Sickness and too much work put me behind schedule :(
I had to order some materials as well. Finding a webshop with a good stock of Evergreen plastics and acceptable shipping is hard.
I also did some (horrible) sketches of what I have in mind.

The A version is half submerged in a swamp/pool of goo (like Luke's X-wing on Dagobah). Version B has the ship stuck between to tall columns of rock (but don't ask me how did it get there lol).
The last one, version C is a crashed on the ground, mostly striped down ship, with an abandoned temporary shelter. I ruled out version B, as I don't think it would be a good gaming terrain piece.
Which leaves A or C. And I can't decide between the two  o_o
However I run into a problem, I couldn't find any plastic plate with a suitable shape, to use as a base for the ship. This means I will try to build the entire thing from scratch (that's why I need to order some stuff). I will do some tests with cardboard in the next few days, to get the dimensions and shapes right. Hopefully by Sunday I will decide what to do exactly  :)
Hopefully next time I can post some pics of some actual work  :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 11:55:48 PM »
I love the idea of "jammed between two rock columns, don't ask how it got there".

Seems like the sort of thing Calvin would do with his sled when he and Hobbes went hurtling through the woods, only with trees. Do that one!