Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2020 McMordain's crashed Spaceman Spiff ship  (Read 7029 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2020 McMordain's crashed Spaceman Spiff ship
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm really tempted to do that one, but it would be hard to store and transport, if I do it with a proper height  :)

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 12:30:37 AM »
So looking forward to this as a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan,no pressure mind :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 01:10:12 AM »
I'm really tempted to do that one, but it would be hard to store and transport, if I do it with a proper height  :)

Make it modular for transport?  Magnets or connecting dowels?

Am I helping?   ;D
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 04:45:24 PM »
Ahoy!

I apologize for the lack of updates. Things happening in my life distracted me and made hard to concentrate on the BSC. As these things are still ongoing, I may not be able to finish the project in time (which wouldn't be the first time anyway  lol ).
However I do not plan to just give up and as I had this weekend all to myself I did make some progress.

Last week I made a quick test of my planed building method using cardboard and paper. I helped me decide the dimensions and provides an useful visual aid.
This method does not give it an as nice curve as I would like, but this is the best I could come up with.
You can also see what I plan to use as thrusters.

Yesterday I cut out the base circle of the structure and the 16 "ribs" which will hold the panels. I will sand these to the same profile, then, after I attached them to the base ring, I will glue a 3-4 mm wide strip on top of them, which will hold the panels. I still have to figure out how to cut the space for the engines.

@Sinewgrab: It depends  ;) I thought the same for the columns as well, but I still think it wouldn't be a good gaming piece.

I decided to make version A, the ship sinking into a swamp. I like the C (and B) more, as working on the inner parts of the ship would be fun, but I definitely couldn't finish that version in time. At least with A I still have a chance.
What I have to decide is if I want to cut the ship after I done the body, or before assembling the parts. I'm thinking the former would be easier, but I'm not sure.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »
That looks good to me. Your styrene circle is cut very cleanly- what are you using to make the cuts?

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
That looks good to me. Your styrene circle is cut very cleanly- what are you using to make the cuts?

For straight cutting usually an xacto knife or a craft knife, if it still has a sharp blade. I cut along a steel ruler, lightly, until I cut through. If the plastic is 3mm or thicker, I usually just cut halfway through and snap of the piece. Then clean up the edge.
For curves, up to 2mm, I use a very sharp xacto knife. I cut the piece to a rough shape, then use files and sandpaper to smooth it to the required form.
For circles I either use circle cutters or a handheld jigsaw, if the plastic is thick (2mm or above). Then as above, it is just a matter of filing and sanding down the edge.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »

For curves, up to 2mm, I use a very sharp xacto knife. I cut the piece to a rough shape, then use files and sandpaper to smooth it to the required form.
For circles I either use circle cutters or a handheld jigsaw, if the plastic is thick (2mm or above). Then as above, it is just a matter of filing and sanding down the edge.
Straight cuts are fairly straight forward; I find getting a smooth curving edge a lot more difficult. I have used both a dremel rotary tool and saw max to cut plastic before but they tend to melt the styrene which I'd have thought would happen with a jig saw too. The new dremel moto-saw looks handy; doubles a as a scroll saw too. :D

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Straight cuts are fairly straight forward; I find getting a smooth curving edge a lot more difficult. I have used both a dremel rotary tool and saw max to cut plastic before but they tend to melt the styrene which I'd have thought would happen with a jig saw too. The new dremel moto-saw looks handy; doubles a as a scroll saw too. :D

By handheld jigsaw I meant this kind. I use a metal cutting blade for plastic. I had no problem with melting the plastic so far  lol

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 03:00:00 AM »
Ah, Ok, I have a similar one too.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
That's just charming

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
I'm sorry to be a disappointment, but I'm a little low on energy and motivation to finish this project on time. I still like the basic idea of the build and enjoyed making it so far, but I rather not rush it, just to finish it for the competition.
I made some progress since last time anyway, so here is the current state of the project:

I put together the base parts of the ship and made some foundations for the panels that will cover it. I also fiddled whit the engines a bit (not pictured).
At this point I decided I do not want to cut this up once it is done... Too much work went into it, so I will make this as proper model. Which left me at square one (this was last weekend). This also demotivated me a little and this being entirely my fault doesn't help either... lol

I thought about what to do.
Because for the terrain piece I do not need a whole ship, I thought I could make half a ship from card, which would be faster than making it from plastic.

So this where I stand currently. I'm not ready to give up yet enterally but with the currents speed this is going it is unlikely I will make to the finish line.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
Cool project, it's like a Leonardo de Vinci tank morphed into a space ship :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Keep going mate, it looks inspiring already

:)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
Keep going mate, it looks inspiring already

:)
yes keep going great shape so far :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 04:40:54 AM »
The styrene one is really nice- I can see why you want to cut it up. Judging by it though, your new one will look good too; in fact, the start is already shaping up nicely.