Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690729
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TaltosVT's LPL13 Portfolio  (Read 2733 times)

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
TaltosVT's LPL13 Portfolio
« on: December 24, 2019, 01:12:31 AM »
I finally had a bit of sunlight for photography today, so I assembled my LPL 13 entries for a couple of group photos.

If I've counted correctly, I completed 56 figures overall.  The cabin in the background is a bit of backdrop that I put together toward the end of the competition to add something more than trees to my photos.

Round 1 - Australian Jungle Infanty

A friend from high school has been working on a lot of Bolt Action figures, and I sort of got sucked in.  I found a copy of the 1st edition rules, then bought a pack of Australians on sale.  I really like the Warlords Games figures.  I think I'll be adding to the collection in 2020.

Round 2 - Colonial Townsfolkd

I was really happy with how these figures turned out, especially close up.  It's difficult to see in my competition photo, but some detail photos showed me that I can do a bit of shading.  I'm going to love adding these to a town scene.

Round 3 - Soviet Snipers

I absolutely love the figures from Bad Squiddo, so I had to pick up a set of these for some possible Bolt Action games.  Being hidden snipers, the paint scheme is fairly bland, but it works in game terms.  I actually lost these on my painting desk at one point, so the ladies can be confident that their camouflage efforts work.

Round 4 - British Command

These guys have been sitting in my stash for a year or two now, patiently waiting to be painted for some AWI skirmish games.  He doesn't show up well in the competition photo, but I was particularly pleased with the drummer.

Round 5 - Camp Life

This is probably my favorite set out of everything I painted for this season.  It wasn't done intentionally, but my daughter thought that the figures looked like specific people from our reenacting unit, Warner's Regiment.  "That's me braiding your hair," she said, "And Gerry telling a story. Dave with his beer, and Chrissy cooking."  Looking at photos from past reenactments, she's not wrong.

Round 6 - Plague Doctors

These guys were originally supposed to be for the Horror-themed Round 1, but they didn't arrive in time, so I used them for Round 6.  I was pressed for time, so they got a quick paint job.

Round 7 - British Wounded

The figures are from Colonel Bill's.  Four are from the "Wounded" set, and the fifth is from a set of wagon drivers.  I wanted to keep them sort of generic for scenarios, so I mixed their coat facings.  The wagon came from a Reaper Bones pack that I picked up to see if I liked them.  The wheel with the original wagon was too medieval, so I grabbed a LEGO wheel of the appropriate size and painted it up for a more 18th century look.

Round 8 - Rural Residents

I had sort of mixed results with these.  A couple came out well, and a couple I may repaint.  I like how they tell a story though.  This was the week that I threw together two sides of a cabin to use as a photo backdrop.

Round 9 - Sharpshooter's Revenge

For this round, I had to dig around to assemble a team.  I managed to find bits from a few different purchases and put them together in a scene.  The two militia men on the left were originally Perry artillery figures, but I cut away their tools, buckets, and right arms, then added in a couple of musket arms from a plastic infantry sprue.  Overall I like the scene, but I wasn't at all happy with the paint job.  I think I may strip these and repaint, then base them all together in a vignette.

Round 10 - Continental Command

At this point in the competition, I was was running out of figures to paint.  I found a box of Continental Militia that had been in a drawer for a few years.  The sculpts looked a little too well dressed to be just militia, so I painted them up in the sky-blue faced red uniform of the 2nd New Hampshire Regiment.  Now, when my wife asked why I ordered more infantry, I can tell her that I can't have leaders without men to lead.  :D

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: TaltosVT's LPL13 Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »

Being hidden snipers, the paint scheme is fairly bland, but it works in game terms.  I actually lost these on my painting desk at one point, so the ladies can be confident that their camouflage efforts work.

Something similar happened to me once. I had a bunch of 15mm ninjas, and being ninjas they vanished into the night and I never saw them again. Little bastards!

I do like these portfolio threads, so thanks for doing one, TaltosVT. Nice to see civilians, camp scenes and such. Those are always the sort of thing I mean to do, but put off until all the fighting troops are done, and then sometimes never get around to.

I love these guys...

In my mind, it's the lads back home from the pub (or possibly a grudge match against Cardiff City FC at Ninian Park).  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:26:53 AM »
Now, when my wife asked why I ordered more infantry, I can tell her that I can't have leaders without men to lead.  :D

Great planning!

I really liked the camp fire vignette.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
some lovely and nicely set figures Taltos - great to see them all together