Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (commercial/Kickstarter) Witchin' Hour  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Witchin Hour

• Assistant
(commercial/Kickstarter) Witchin' Hour
« on: December 24, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
Hello all,

I have developed a new skirmish game pitting Witch Hunters and their retinues of righteous men against foul Witches and Cultists.

Februari 1st 2020 will see the launch of the Kickstarter to produce the hardcopy rulebook. This will be a full color 64-page soft cover with stitched binding. (See the attachments for samples of the pages.)
Next to the general rules the book will feature a series of scenario's that form a mini campaign when played in successive order.

There are some new and innovative game mechanics for deployment and activation-reaction of your models as well as a simple but effective way of resolving close combat outcome.

If you are interested and want to follow the progress of us working up to the Kickstarter you can always visit our Facebook page: Within' Hour skirmish game.

Happy Holidays all!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:39:39 AM by Witchin Hour »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: (commercial/Kickstarter) Witchin' Hour
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
Yeah, will get me this one for sure. Burn the witch!  :D
Leadhead

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »
Sounds interesting and would like know more about it, but am sadly not doing Facebook.

But will follow with interest here on LAF :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
.......There are some new and innovative game mechanics for deployment and activation-reaction......

New and Innovative?  Would be interesting to see some examples of what makes them so. 

Offline Witchin Hour

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
Thank you for the responses and interest in my game.

I will try to answer all questions posted here as well as on the Facebook page.
Those not on Facebook can already note the date of the Kickstarter launch, February 1st 12:00 ECT.

As for the new and innovative ways of several game mechanics:
Here is an example (deployment)
Deployment is not a static affair. Instead you have a few deployment points (depending on how big your warband is) which you and your opponent can shift along the table using activation tokens. The amount of activation tokens depends on the composition of your warband. Moving the deployment points is done in alternate fashion, but you can spend as much tokens each time it is your turn, whereby each spent token gives you 2" of moving space for one deployment point.
Once both players run out of tokens models wil be placed at one, or more deployment points (up to the players choice).
In this way you can already start playing while you deploy your forces and try to out-manouvre or out-bluff your opponent.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
Will you have some miniatures released for the game or is it a book only and we'll have to use our own models?

Offline Witchin Hour

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »
There will be no miniatures because there are plenty of good models available.
Frostgrave soldiers (box set) gives you plenty of Mercenary models. They also have a set of plastic cultists which are surprisingly very good as Cultists in Witchin' Hour. Foundry has a lot of Witches and peasants. The book will have a list with manufacturers who given their permission to use their models in the book itself.
And you can always use other types of models. The ruleset is flexible enough. You can start a warband with fighting nuns (mercenary rules) and have them led by a Sister Superior (Witch Hunter rules).
You can even use sci-fi-fi models and apply the normal rules for creating a warband or coven.
Basically you choose a troop-type for your model, which gives it a set of base rules and skills. And then you can equip the model with weapons etc of your own choosing. So it's very diverse.

The book itself contains everything you need to play the game once you have suitable models. The Kickstarter page will also have a list of manufacturers for suitable models, so if you pledge you will have enough time to get yourself some models before the book arrives at your doorstep.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
Check. Got plenty of models myself but was hoping for a couple of mini's especially made for this game. Never can have enough mini's, you know.  lol

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
There will be no miniatures because there are plenty of good models available.
Frostgrave soldiers (box set) gives you plenty of Mercenary models. They also have a set of plastic cultists which are surprisingly very good as Cultists in Witchin' Hour. Foundry has a lot of Witches and peasants. The book will have a list with manufacturers who given their permission to use their models in the book itself.
And you can always use other types of models. The ruleset is flexible enough. You can start a warband with fighting nuns (mercenary rules) and have them led by a Sister Superior (Witch Hunter rules).
You can even use sci-fi-fi models and apply the normal rules for creating a warband or coven.
Basically you choose a troop-type for your model, which gives it a set of base rules and skills. And then you can equip the model with weapons etc of your own choosing. So it's very diverse.

The book itself contains everything you need to play the game once you have suitable models. The Kickstarter page will also have a list of manufacturers for suitable models, so if you pledge you will have enough time to get yourself some models before the book arrives at your doorstep.

Not being critical, just some question. 
Why not self publish via DriveThruRPG vs. Kickstarter? 

I am one of the many that do not use Facebook, not because I am old, but for privacy reasons.  Will you have a website or Blog for errata and updates or will it be exclusive to Facebook?  If you are going to only post content on Facebook, that will be a hard pass for me since I hate to ask others who have an account to get me some content. 

How long from KS to delivery will the book take?  I mean, has the game been written and playtested and you are only missing layout so there will be a quick turn around or will it be a year to deliver like many KS?

Thanks

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
Game looks interesting,however I’m another one that isn’t on Facebook.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Witchin Hour

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
@Pascal and Blackwolf (and others who are not on Facebook):

When the Kickstarter is successful I assume that production time will be around 6 months. The reason for that is that I do not have written all the scenario's yet and I also want to play-test them before releasing the book. But the general rules have all been written and thoroughly tested. Also the layout and design of the rulebook is done.
There will be no immediate need do publish updates etc once the book is released. As I said, all the rules are done and in the book and the book will have about six scenario's. If there will be any more content it would probably be more scenario's. I get these available to those interested in a number of ways. Facebook among them, but I could also e-mail them or indeed, put them on a website. I do not have a website for Witchin' Hour exclusively, but I do have a blog site that I could use for this as well (www.thedesertscorpions.com).
So I do not foresee any problems for those who are not on Facebook.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
Is it also playable without using the scenario's? If not, six is quite limited...

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
As one of the play testers I can state that I enjoyed quite a few games without any specific scenario or with a quickly made up one. The six scenarios in the book offer a quick start for a game (or the basis for a campaign) but the game is replayable either without them or with a scenario of your own.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:15:11 PM by Pijlie »
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Excellent, thanks.  :)

Offline Witchin Hour

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
Happy New Year everybody!
And to begin this year I would like to show you a sample of a spread page from the rulebook. My friend Jan-Willem has done some drawings for the book and tokens and I was able to find some time during the holiday to get it in the book design. (see attachment)
Hope you all like it.