Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: And the new Perry Miniatures range is...  (Read 22780 times)

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Re: And the new Perry Miniatures range is...
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2019, 02:09:32 AM »
This is exciting, I for one am glad to see the Perrys doing something other than Napoleonics or the WW2 for which they have been doing lots of lately. Their Cape wars range is very good and a lot more obscure I would have thought?

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2019, 03:05:10 AM »
Sigh. And the Perrys finally get me. 28mm Sharpe Practice, here I come.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »
Well, with regards to it being an obscure topic...

Look, this is a hobby where there are entire companies that make a living on selling you Weird War II mechas. What’s one man’s “obscure” is another man’s fantastic topic.

But going beyond that, yeah, you’d think there’d be SOME interest in this war, given the fact that the tech and the strategy was very similar to the U.S. Civil War, only you have tons more colorful troops, bunches of cavalry, and entire batteries of breechloading Armstrong rifles to play around with, not to mention everything from desperate skirmishes (including some really interesting fleet boarding actions) to large pitched battles.

Let me second Candido Lopez as THE visual source for this war and, indeed, for the tactics of the time in general. He was a much more observant and faithful portrayer of what he saw on the battlefield than any other contemporary artist I have seen, anywhere.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 03:27:48 AM »
It also gives you a shit load of naming rights, everything from streets, neighbourhoods, town plazas and metro stations through to middle price department stores.  :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »
Well I've waited about 50 years for this range. My interest was piqued from the short article in Tradition magazine. I just couldn't bring myself to do it in 15mm back in the day. I have followed the other attempts to do this range in 28mm, but they have either died on the vine or been slow to produce. I hope they do some Paraguayans wearing the chiripa. I have the uniform information. I just have to wait for the figures.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2019, 05:47:56 AM »
I’m sure they will but even if they don’t there’s a very nice existing range of 28mm Paraguayans wearing a mix of clothing, including chiripás from fellow LAFer Nuno Pereira at Kingscarbine Miniatures:

http://kingscarbinepaintshop.blogspot.com/p/paraguayan-war-range.html

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
Well I've waited about 50 years for this range. My interest was piqued from the short article in Tradition magazine. I just couldn't bring myself to do it in 15mm back in the day. I have followed the other attempts to do this range in 28mm, but they have either died on the vine or been slow to produce. I hope they do some Paraguayans wearing the chiripa. I have the uniform information. I just have to wait for the figures.

First heard about it by a south american teacher at university 30 years ago. My curiosity was aroused by the fact that Paraguay male population was nearly extinguished and survivor had to resort to polygamy. Then I enjoyed the series of articles in Wargames Illustrated in the 90s. Until now, i have waited for an exhaustive range…even had bought hand made figures from a south american war gamer…
Even in my wildest dreams, i wouldn't have expected such a range to come from the Perry twins. As has been said elsewhere, they can allow themselves to produce a range for a very small market but I hope people will be interested by this fascinating conflict and make of this range a commercial success  ;)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
Personally speaking it's a great opportunity to poke my nose into a conflict that I have only heard a little about.

To be fair, I don't think I'll be purchasing any of the models in the immediate future, beauties that they are, rather I might be reading up on the subject with a view to possibly investing some time and money in the future.

i think it's great that companies like the Perry's have the flexibility to produce quality miniatures that expand into conflicts that are less well known outside the English speaking world  8)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
I’m sure they will but even if they don’t there’s a very nice existing range of 28mm Paraguayans wearing a mix of clothing, including chiripás from fellow LAFer Nuno Pereira at Kingscarbine Miniatures:

http://kingscarbinepaintshop.blogspot.com/p/paraguayan-war-range.html

Yes, but is it even available at the moment? Last I knew Kingscarbine was becoming Rifleman Miniatures, and I got a message in May that this was happening this year (2019) but nothing seems to have moved?

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »
Yes, but is it even available at the moment? Last I knew Kingscarbine was becoming Rifleman Miniatures, and I got a message in May that this was happening this year (2019) but nothing seems to have moved?

I asked Nuno yesterday about the figures, the Paraguayan ones are still available and the range kicks off with more figures in February. :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
Try asking Nuno direct. Nice chap.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »
Oh I did earlier this year - hence the reply I had in May  :D

Just a bit wary as Capitan/Battlemodels/whatever they call themselves now never replied to any of my queries to them (about a different range) so never really got an idea of where things stood with the Rifleman Miniatures thing, but if one can order from the Kingscarbine blog site still then great! Cheers.

Anyway, sorry to have segued from the discussion of the Perry range.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2019, 09:46:58 AM »
A question; more for reference really, but going on the scale of say the Perry Carlist War range, how would Kingscarbine /Rifleman Miniatures fit with the Perry range?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
<snip>

By the by, if anyone is looking for painting references, aside from the battlefield paintings of Candido Lopez and the afore mentioned Foundry book the University of Toronto has published an online version of Barosso’s Uniformes do Exercito brasileiro, which is an excellent guide. Worth googling, the original goes for upwards of  $1,000 in mint condition.

Do you have a link for that online version? I tried Googling and there were lots of dodgy looking links.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
A question; more for reference really, but going on the scale of say the Perry Carlist War range, how would Kingscarbine /Rifleman Miniatures fit with the Perry range?

I'd wait a little before attempting to answer that question. Perry figures can vary in size and bulk even within a given range. Not long ago, I ordered a Perry Napoleonic French Old Guard Eclaireur command pack with the intention of using the officers as colonels and ADC's for both the Napoleonic wars and the 1st Carlist war. It turned out that the sculpts (Alan's) were noticeably bigger than the FCW figures (Michael's) and even some of Alan's earlier Napoleonics. 

Give Nuno a few weeks until the first batch of Perry figures is released and I am sure he'll produce some comparison pics.   

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:16:01 PM by Arthur »