Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Broadening the Fantasy collection (SS&SS made me do it!)  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Broadening the Fantasy collection (SS&SS made me do it!)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
Heyhey. Since the lockdown (and an initial drought of no gaming at all) I managed to get my brother to play Sellswords&Spellslingers with me and for some weeks this has become a fixture now. Apart from all the stuff I should be painting this kind of thew off my painting plans. The Sharp Practice 1809 project got delayed a LOT now and if I have time to work on my own stuff it now is SS&SS related.

First off, here's a Halfling Hot Pot:

Not my own mini, I just got to paint it. These little chaps I will send off along with the Heroquest set I painted recently.

Then I cleaned the last batch(!) of Super Dungeon Explore figures and primed them. While the primer was drying (and primer can barely dry for long enough), I worked on some more generic baddies for my own Sellswords&Spellslingers collection. I still had some Mantic and Wargames Factory zombies built from back in 2012/13 when I was working on my modern Zombie skirmish collection. I got out some sprues of Mantic zombies (which in general are OK, just a bit limited in pose and for some reason they're huge). The thought of building and painting just 10 to 15 generic Mantic Zombies bored me so much I almost fell out of my chair. So I got out some more bits and hacked up their arms for some more variety. Over the next hour or so the theme went from "zombies" over "demonic, flayed looking lanky viking tribe" and "swamp ghoul people" to "generally nasty wild family Glühwürmchen. The kind of people the postman prefers to forget about on his tour".

I added some bits, a 13th dude (based on a Warlord Zulu warrior body and other bits), and some Green stuff. Now they're curing. I'm aware that these aren't enough for a full Sellswords&Spellslingers Scenario (for which I usually calculate with at least 20 baddies required for a gang of 4 characters). But they'll work OK as allies of the scenario's nasties, for a scenario event, or something like that.

Not perfect, but at least they look a bit different to the regular Zombies now. And I intend to stick to that theme for the paintjob as well. :D Because who's got the time. There's plenty of other stuff to do, and these are just for myself after all.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
Some great kitbashing there! I really like the character you put into those zombies... odd as that is to say.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Lovely job, I look forward to seeing the results in glorious colour!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
@Rick W.: Thanks. :) Putting a hat on them helps. :D

@Sunjester: Cheers!

Right, between drying times on things I SHOULD be painitng, preparing blogposts, and so on I quickly painted these up:

Kinda crusty-looking, but that's the theme, isn't it. :D Not sure when they get to see action, but I'll let you know.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 10:31:01 PM »
Great work on those zombies

8)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
What a lovely bunch of zombies.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 07:22:01 AM »
They look great, can't wait to see pics of them in action.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »
@AKULA: Thanks. Well, at least they're done, right? :D

@Melnibonean: :D Cheers. One of the more 'off' bits I've done lately. But it's good to have them.

@Sunjester: Me too! The whole SS&SS thing ground to a halt a bit recently, but I'm sure it'll start up again. Once The Supplement is out at the lastest, I suppose. ;)