Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Broadening the Fantasy collection (SS&SS made me do it!)  (Read 6301 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Broadening the Fantasy collection (SS&SS made me do it!)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
Very nice brushwork, more impressive because of the timescale!!!

Online Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
@majorsmith: Well, I have to get stuff done quickly while I got the time to do my own minis. :D Thanks muchly for the comment.

Heyhey, happy new year. These were finished last night already, but my camera's batteries were empty and I had to recharge over night.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_01/beastiesdoneschrift.jpg.c39faf8627598f7cce57813a3c9f06d9.jpg

As mentioned above, these aren't really very showy. Basically just so I got baddies for fantasy gaming as stand-ins for Orcs. :D  Hope you like them!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:49:13 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
blimey, you weren't joking - they really weren't finished in the previous pic - and I thought they looked great then!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Thanks. :) Well, there was the shields to do, basing, lots of detail stuff, and so on. The famous last 20% of the job which take up most of the time. :)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »
Hehey, here's two more dudes I just did because I had them at hand. This whole 'painting just so the things are painted, not necessarily for looking nice"-thing is pretty liberating. :D

Hope you like them. :)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 10:47:05 PM »
Okay, in the end I now also added some swiftly-made flags:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_01/beastfinal1scvhrift.jpg.79db4c52f175e8da1d011a81586aaf26.jpg

...and now that's enough of that! :D

Hope you like them!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »
Really cool horde !

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
They look really good!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »
Wow, they look fantastic.

I'd not heard of the game before. If your collection of beastmen is anything to go by, I like the scale of the warband. I love fantasy skirmish games but find that skirmish warbands are often way to small. 5-9 models is seems to be common and whilst quick to paint, doesn't really feel like a warband on the road, seeking their glory or riches.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
@sundayhero: Thanks very much! :)

@Sunjester: Cheers. :)

@Mallo: Thanks very much for the comment! Sellswords&Spellslingers works a bit differently. My posts have probably been misleading. :D It's a fully cooperative fantasy game in which each player plays one to three characters. Each game represents a quest or the blow-off fight to a quest and it's not uncommon for the characters to fight quite a lot of baddies. So I realized I got to get some baddies done (unless the characters will only fight Dark Elves or Saxons ;) ).

I posted a Sellswords and Spellslingers battle reports here which will probably give you a better picture of how the game works: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=115012.msg1439501. On Halloween the past year we also had a big themed game. https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2019/11/sellswords-and-spellslingers-halloween-special/.

As for games which might fit the bill of what you got in mind - have you tried Dragon Rampant? That works reasonably well. Or of course Saga:Age of Magic. Many people enjoy that one. I haven't tried it yet (since I got turned off by it from playing 2 or three games in 2013 and not really being convinced by it as a historical or wargame. :) ).

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »
One more thing you need to play Sellswords and Spellslingers is loot markers. Slain enemies drop one of these each for the heroes to pick up.

I made 22 such markers now, because usually quite a few of these are lying around (as long as the players are wise and don't waste a lot of time looting!).

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
Okay, since I got the Beastmen, I also got this:

MAYBE it'll be used on Friday already. Depending on the scenario we play. :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
Beautiful

:-*

I also really like the idea of the loot markers

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 11:03:27 PM »
Looking good. I've never heard of  Sellswords & Spellslingers so I might have to have a look at it.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 01:28:47 AM »
@AKULA: Thanks very much. :) Much appreciated.

@Melnibonean: I've been planning to write up a proper review of it for months, but it kept on getting posponed. :D It's a hoot though. Fully cooperative heroic fantasy things. Very much a 'toolkit', but you can do everything with it. AND it's good fun!

You can find SeSo&SpSl (rolls right off the tongue :P ) battle reports of mine here:

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2019/11/sellswords-and-spellslingers-halloween-special/

..and here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=115012.msg1439732#msg1439732