Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689596
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alamo-help to a complete nube  (Read 1504 times)

Offline MartinShamutantis

• Bookworm
    • Shamutantis Helte
Alamo-help to a complete nube
« on: December 29, 2019, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi there,

I am a bit outside my comfort zone here and the topic may be a bit trite, but I am toying with the idea of doing a Sci-Fi campaign based on the lead-up to and the Battle of the Alamo itself. Now, my question is, if one of you could recommend a good scenario or campaign based on the Alamo – the system is not really relevant. I am mostly interested in how the scenario/campaign is structured. So, what great Alamo-stuff is out there? Any recommendations?

Cheers and thanks
Martin

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Re: Alamo-help to a complete nube
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is the old (1981) Ming Enterprises boardgame Texas Revolution. In spite of its age, TR is an accurate, detailed, balanced treatment of the campaign. However, the campaign doesn't necessarily 'lead up' to the Alamo siege and storming; that is an incident that may or may not happen in the course of the campaign:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10584/texas-revolution

There are copies listed for sale in the Geekmarket, and I even see a copy on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ming-Texas-Revolution-Board-Game/dp/B007744ETU/ref=sm_n_se_dkp_US_pr_sea_0_0?adId=B007744ETU&creativeASIN=B007744ETU&linkId=3fbf61c3132a8846b74cb728cdb54443&tag=search-boardgamegeek-20&linkCode=w42&ref-refURL=https%3A%2F%2Fboardgamegeek.com%2Fgeeksearch.php&slotNum=0&imprToken=2xKU20Dubt4.uyPKCyMQ3Q&adType=smart&adMode=search&adFormat=grid&impressionTimestamp=1577628418404
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:19:18 PM by zippyfusenet »
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline MartinShamutantis

• Bookworm
    • Shamutantis Helte
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
Thanks! And sorry for the slow reply. I have ordered both the game and the book now. I am really looking forward to dig into this stuff.

Cheers
M.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
You may wish to also look into a spaceship combat game.

One of the main deciding factors in the war was how poorly supplied the Mexican army was they couldn't get decent gunpowder and other essential supplies.

Relying on an increasingly stretched supply line up from Mexico another reason the Alamo had to be taken as it would threaten that supply line.

The reason for this was the Texian Navy was able to blockade the coastline.

Also the Mexican government was involved in another war/uprising at the sametime.

Sam Houston didn't care much for the navy small as it was. So the exploits of the Lone Star fleet have been rather sidelined in the history of the Tex-Mex war. I assume Houston didn't want to share his glory after San Jacinto and prefer to perpetuate the idea 'his' inspired leadership was the reason for victory.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
On a sci fi note, you might want to read “A talent for war” by Jack McDevitt.
The war happened some time ago but the way it is described reminded me of the Texan War (rag tag, ad hoc forces, volunteers from other human systems and a larger human polity just not quite intervening).

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 05:43:53 PM »
I would go with Legends of the Old West: The Alamo.

It has a great campaign, a list of all the units and heroes that was involved in the siege.