Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689611
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rump UK! EM-2 and Ideology.  (Read 4118 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Rump UK! EM-2 and Ideology.
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
Tore from my post on the VBCW FB group.
After watching "it happened here", SS GB, and am currently reading Dominion. I was thinking of running some Pulp style "Resistance" games in a world were the baddies win the Civil War. The UK stays natural in the war for Europe and sent volunteers to the now stalled German Soviet war.
Now the question is where do all the separatist factions fall under this idea. Did Scotland and Wales gain independence? Are they occupied and still fighting? Does Canada still hold out for the restoration of Albert?
Does Ireland still control the Northern Island?
Should the US and Japan still have a Pacific war separate from the conflicts going on in Europe? with the European Axis nations deciding that a war across the Atlantic is just not worth it, or is Europe and the US in a state of cold war now?
Thinking set in this late 40s early 50s.
Could have early mods, skins, Teddy Boys and greaser's having fist fights in the streets with BUF youth and axillary organizations.
Then those beatniks and rock 'in rollers get radicalized and join one of the many anti-BUF factions. So smaller scale insurgency actions in the towns and the cities.
But some locations in the North and West are still under martial law. With flying columns of rebels still acting out. Causing responses from rapid reaction in parachute and early heliborne cordons in the moors and highlands. Lead by a brutalized Soviet front Major, whos actions only inflame the insurgency!
Could also have a not Vietnam style conflict going on in India with young men trying to smuggle themselves to Ireland and then Canada to avoid being called up. 
If this is to political let me know. Just want to have AVBCW with jets, helicopter's and early assault rifles is all.  lol
My blog with the same text, but with pictures. https://commissarmoody.blogspot.com/2019/12/rump-uk-em-2-and-ideology.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:05:02 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Rump UK! EM-2 and Ideology.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
That is just too horrible for so many different reasons.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
Thanks!  :D

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 01:08:21 PM »
Taking a step back.
Cold War, what do you think?

Vs

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
Worth reading the Draka books by SM Stirling, The Man In The High Castle and Robert Harris's Fatherland.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
And to borrow from Ken MacLeod, it is "former".

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:19:52 PM »
hahahah!
Yeah, but being UK maybe a centurion or Churchill tank... but since Churchill is now a Icon of the hated resistance. (who are all communist, no matter what their political strip is) Maybe they would be called Mosley Heavy infantry tank.
I am now trying to figure out all the places to source the figs I want to us. WW2 resistance and interwar figs will still work in the hinterlands. But the city folks are going to be more of a problem.
And Finding lose EM-2s rifles is going to take some time. I am debating on the Warlord K47 grenadiers. Or maybe just getting some lose SA80s from say TAG and run those as EM-2 rifles. Not every one will get one, but its the newest thing for the army.
And I'll have to give those books a once over.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
You have to also think about whether the USA pulled out Plan Red, and Britain's response.

Or a Kennedy (snr) - Von Ribbentrop pact?

You could call it Earth-X.

No British hardware would be available - though Panzer 38(t)s continued to be built, no other occupied country's  tanks continued to be built (unless you know better).

Assuming the Soviets held the Volga, British industry would be assimilated to supply the meat grinder.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Yeah i was debating on that. If i stick with the AVBCW as the point of divergence, and not the UK loseing to the Germans.
I would see the Mosley click going neutral like Spain and kind of retreating from Europe. With only a BEK British Expeditionary Korp being node to the anti-Bolshevik crusade with the more fanatical going into some SS British Frikorp when their rotation is over. Most of the regular military is going to the colonies to try to maintain them in the Empire.
With the political paramilitary forces being used in the UK counter insurgency.
As for Canada I was thinking of it being the location Albert and many of those with means, fled too after the Civil War. I want to use them as the main support base for the anti-Mosley Goverment.
So supplies, spies and commando raids come from Canada. And nether side has the means to really knock each other out.
As for the U.S. Japan doesnt have much reason to flex on Peril Harbour with the UK still giveing them oil. But who knows, maybe they still just really wanted the Philippines, and the Dutch east Indies. Or the Navy just wanted to prove it was better then the Americans. So ill say the Pacific war happens, but for some mcguffin like the Kennedy pact. The rest of the Axis dont help Japan.
So the U.S. now pretty much owns the Pacific, but aside from some Hawk's in the state department, and OSS doesnt really do much else to support one side in the conflict over another.
I am trying to not make the world to dark, and have a few players.  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 02:20:37 PM »
Also, that would mean I dont get to use cool 1950s British jets if the Germans dont allow them to make things.  :D
Or American 1950s helicopters.
But yes, wheeling out the king tiger's would be pretty over kill on a flying column of a dozen or resistance fighters. So a old Pz-35 or Vickers light tank or armored car makes for a better game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:37:59 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
So yes Canada is still indapendent, but what about Australia and New Zealand? Would they stay part of the Dominion?
I could see South Africa being on board with the changes.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
My comparison was of American and German tanks.

Without British gold (initially) and then Lend-Lease and payment in kind later, how much interest would there be in tank development? Especially if the pact included non-participation clauses.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:22:11 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
It would be quite a manpower challenge to dominate the remote parts of the UK. Have you ever looked up Durness on a map?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 12:42:07 AM »
My comparison was of American and German tanks.

Without British gold (initially) and then Lend-Lease and payment in kind later, how much interest would there be in tank development? Especially if the pact included non-participation clauses.
Ok, now i understood what you were saying.
The USA had already started it re-arming in the 30s with the cavalry combat cars. Takeing lessons from the conflicts going one then. And they would be fallowing the conflict from both sides of the war being a natural power that  is.
Not saying they would be makeing tons of M-46 tanks mind you. But they would have an idea as to whats going on. Look at the developments Swedish arms went thrue during the war as a example.
But the big trump card the U.S. has is the oceans and the A-bomb. So there is some intrigue right there. The Germans just cant seem to get the science right and need more uranium.  :D
And if they do go to war with Japan, that would be a huge instinctive to rearm and modernize.
Still havent decided weather the US and Japan should fight or just come to an agreement as to spheres of influence.
Because if they do fight over the Philippines and in China, that would be the excuses i need for them to develop tanks, paratrooper/commando doctrines and helicopters for military us.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 12:45:34 AM by commissarmoody »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 12:48:54 AM »
It would be quite a manpower challenge to dominate the remote parts of the UK. Have you ever looked up Durness on a map?
Yep, thats why i see this idea as viable. Even in a police state.  I have also taken part in cordon and search operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. And have seen first had how effective and ineffective they can be sometimes.  lol