Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Astor's Frostgrave - Wizard and Apprentice 17/01  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Astor

• Librarian
Astor's Frostgrave - Wizard and Apprentice 17/01
« on: December 31, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Hi All!

I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years due to various things, but for the past year I've been saying I wanted to get back into it, particularly after picking up the Frostgrave Rulebook at Games Expo this year.

My plans never quite reached fruition, despite buying some sprues and other bits, but my partner surprised me with some bits for Christmas which has rekindled my motivation. I think having 12 days off for the holidays has helped, however!

So here's a project log both to share what I'm doing, and to keep me motivated as I venture into Felstad.

I don't think it needs saying any more than it has already, but I love the plastics! They're so versatile, and I love that they're compatible with pretty much anything. My first warband, however, is pretty much standard, with a few exceptions:

My Wizard (I haven't decided what school he belongs to yet, but I'm thinking Elementalist) is a mix of the Wizard and Barbarian sprues - I wanted to create a band that looked as though it had been in the city for some time, and some of the Barbarian bodies were perfect for this.

One of the Thugs uses a Barbarian body, and the other parts are from Fireforge's Forgotten Worlds Northmen infantry/command sprues - I tried to pose him as if he was cautiously searching through the ruins for something.

And a Knight/Templar type character, again using Fireforge's Northmen, and a Barbarian head. I plan on using a few more Northmen bits for soldiers/men-at-arms.

I had hoped to start basing/painting, but when I dug out my hobby supplies, it seems I misplaced my sand!  :o

Though I suppose I do have a city to build, too!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:04:29 AM by Astor »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dipping my toe in icy waters!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
great start / kit-bashing.

look forward to seeing more.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »
Great work! Love the barbarian head on the knight, really fits your description of having been in the frozen city for a while.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »
Very nice and good mix of kits. Got me thinking of getting some fireforge goodies as well. Thanks for letting us see your work.
I should be painting right now.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:13:50 AM »
Some really nice kit-bashing there!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 07:33:27 AM »
Some great kitbashing. Thanks for the inspiration!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »
Thanks all! I've still got a second Warband to build, so there may well be more kitbashing...  :)

Very nice and good mix of kits. Got me thinking of getting some fireforge goodies as well. Thanks for letting us see your work.

They're really nice kits - I only picked up a single troop + command sprue from Ebay as I knew I wouldn't need a lot, but I'm very pleased with them - the Bowmen/Undead sprues look great, too!

Since I'm still waiting for my new basing materials to arrive before starting painting, I've kept myself busy building my version of Felstad!

All of the building are TTCombat. The MDF 'revolution' passed me by somewhat, but I'm sold on them now! They were a dream to put together! I've got a few smaller bits from Blotz (a fountain and a shallow pool/well) on the table now, though I'm planning on adding a statue to the fountain as a centrepiece.

I couldn't resist having a tinker with the Bell Tower, however. I probably won't use it often, but I've added a plastic floor so I can put a flickering LED light (thanks to a cannibalised tea light) inside for a bit of flair when playing.

Hoping I can throw some paint on these over the weekend once I've primed them.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
Very nice work on the figures, very inspiring. The Knight/Templar especially.

The light in the tower is a great idea, but flickering green light might be more in theme.

I would suggest using Rustoleum Rust effect spray (other brands are available - suede effect has been recommended elsewhere) on the outsides of the buildings to give the MDF some texture.

A Sally4th pillbox.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:21:19 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
looking great.

kinda suprised there hasn't been more about those TTF 'ruins' kits - as they look very well done AND very good value for money ...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
The TTCombat stuff is certainly cheap and robust (it is also quite large scale). I am using them for Malifaux and not Star Wars.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
Took far too long to get my brushes and paints out...

I'm still working on the warband above, but I wanted to play around with some Fireforge plastics I had lying around, as I like the figures, and wanted to see what I could do with some Frostgrave bits and some green stuff...

Firstly, two thugs. The one on the left is all Fireforge. The one on the right is a Perry body (I think it's from the 2015 Salute freebie?) with some Frostgrave arms. The fur cloaks are the first things I've sculpted with green stuff in years, so was impressed that they didn't just look like blobs!

Next, two thieves. The head on the right is from the Salute freebie...

I'm terrible at 'batch painting', and wanted to try and give each figure a bit more time, so I've only painted one so far, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

That's one off the mountain, at least...  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 09:05:48 PM »
Great stuff! Excellent kitbashing and brushwork.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »
fantastic.

amazing result re: your first efforts with greenstuff.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
Thanks, guys!  :)

Between working from home and other things, I've really been able to motor on with some painting this week - the humans are still on the table, but the evenings have yielded some skeletons ready for random encounters. O was going to buy some of the Mantic skeletons, but managed to pick up some of GW's 'Deathrattle Skeletons', which I preferred the style of... though they're incredibly fiddly - I wish I hadn't gifted away the old WFB Skeleton Warriors Regiment, as they were much more hefty... I still have the metal command accessories, though.  :D

And I think Army Painter's 'Dry Rust' is my new favourite thing!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
they've come out great - really look as tho' they mean business !