Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This sculpting lark is easy ;)  (Read 2719 times)

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: This sculpting lark is easy ;)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
He's coming out fine and dandy!

You give him a name?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
You give him a name?

lol Not yet. But he could well be a Raymondo... ;)

How  many show? if you stay true to the script the number of statues to smash will add up quite rapidly.

Eight performances I think, Peder.
But actually, although the play starts with 10 figurines on view, most of them 'disappear' as the murders occur. So a core set will be re-used night after night.
Only one 'little soldier' is actually seen getting smashed on stage in real time, and another is brought in as already smashed (so we'll use the same broken one for that every night).
So allowing for tech and dress rehearsals etc. plus any accidental breakages, I think we'll need to cast 25 in total. Maybe a couple more to be on the safe side. It's a long time since I've used plaster of Paris, so I'm not sure how long that's going to take... One a day maybe?
Luckily, the production isn't on until the end of March, so hopefully we'll have long enough.
That's why I'm making the master now though! Because I suspect making the mould and getting the casting process right is going to be the tricky bit...  ::)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »
lol Not yet. But he could well be a Raymondo... ;)

Eight performances I think, Peder.
But actually, although the play starts with 10 figurines on view, most of them 'disappear' as the murders occur. So a core set will be re-used night after night.
Only one 'little soldier' is actually seen getting smashed on stage in real time, and another is brought in as already smashed (so we'll use the same broken one for that every night).
So allowing for tech and dress rehearsals etc. plus any accidental breakages, I think we'll need to cast 25 in total. Maybe a couple more to be on the safe side. It's a long time since I've used plaster of Paris, so I'm not sure how long that's going to take... One a day maybe?
Luckily, the production isn't on until the end of March, so hopefully we'll have long enough.
That's why I'm making the master now though! Because I suspect making the mould and getting the casting process right is going to be the tricky bit...  ::)

I suppose you will be casting it in plaster?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
I suppose you will be casting it in plaster?

That's the plan :)

Anyone with any advice on using plaster-resin, dental plaster etc., vs good old-fashioned Plaster of Paris etc., gratefully received!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
The finished master...

The boots are deliberately lumpy and vestigial - he needs to have some bottom-weight in order to stand up stably.

I got the attitude of the right hand within the sword basket hilt completely wrong - it should have been modelled with the hand turned back on the wrist at a much more acute angle, but unfortunately I didn't have time to redo it as I had to hand it over to the practical fellow who has agreed to work out how to cast it. To be fair, at stage distance, no-one will ever see it, but still irritating  >:( lol

Apparently it's now calculated that 35 breakable statuettes and 10 'solids' will be required. The guy who has agreed to work out how to cast it, has a cunning plan... We shall see...  ::) ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »
That’s worked out nicely!  Bugger the wrist angle, they look perfectly serviceable to me.

Of course if your chap’s ‘cunning plan’ doesn’t succeed, the producer could always change the title  to ‘Ten Little Garden Gnomes’ and whip down to the nearest garden centre. It’s  not like the play’s author will object.  :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
Lovely work Richard. Just been watching the TV series you are working on.

Best regards,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
Well done!  :-*