Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New SPQR Dacians and Sarmatians on the horizon!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
New SPQR Dacians and Sarmatians on the horizon!
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Just got my monthly warlord membership email in and for a nice change its not all boats, dredd and planes (it's half planes), its a mix of old ad new with some old dacians now in new plastic and 12 including command instead of 42 (I am assuming close to the price of the original boxed set, just with extra unit cards if the other releases are anything to go by).

New heroes, new cavalry, archers and slingers, all seem nice, and you get a mounted version of decelabus as well as the mounted and dismounted generic heroes as this months freebie miniatures.

Somewhat tempted but tbh not a fan of the new plastics and not willing to pay for less, i'd be all over the heroes if they came out in metal though.

Pics for the curious.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Re: New SPQR Dacians and Sarmatians on the horizon!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:10:49 PM »
The slingers and archers look particularly nice to me....I was very resistant to the idea of plastics until I started building Victrix figures and now I can see the benefits of both metal and plastic...will try and get a close up look at these at a show if I can but immediate reaction is “I didn’t have plans for Dacians but maybe I suddenly do”
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:47 PM »
are the Cataphracts going to be metal or plastics?

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »
I've not seen any in person, but Warlord is claiming they are not plastic but a new "Warlord Resin", whatever that means.

http://www.warlordgames.com/warlord-resin-a-new-material/

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
If the figs are in the new Warlord resin then it will be the same material as the new Judge Dredd figs are made from.  It''s a soft resin with a feel very like some boardgame miniatures.
I didn't have prominent mould lines on my Dredd figs so I didn't have to do much clean up but many people report it needs careful handling, ideally taking the mould lines off with a very sharp blade like you do with soft polystyrene figs.  I washed my figs in warm soapy water prior to priming and they took paint very well.  Some people say the material takes paint well even without washing. 
Overall  the opinion in the Judge Dredd community  on the Warlord resin is mixed.  Some think it is OK but many would prefer metal or a better resin. I can't say I like it much myself.  It's not superior to metal in terms of ease of working and details on the figs are definitely softer than those in Warlord's metal figs.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »
Regardless of the material I can't say I like the sculpts. Certainly compared with other metal or plastic mini's on the market or soon on the market.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Funny thing... I think the sculpts are nice, and my own experiences with the new warlord resin have been positive.  I found it better than metal.

Said that I agree with Kommando about the repackaging, it offer you less than before, especially in plastic. What you do get are cards (useful if you play their own SPQR), and bases, that before were lacking.  On other hand, smaller packages could be more tempting for side projects with small nubers o miniatures. The resin on the other hand is a bit less expensive.

Said that I will probably use the upcoming Victrix as the bulk of my force rounded up with some Warlord characters.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
I tried the new warlord plastic with the free mini but find the bendyness and lack of 'heft' was just too off putting, i'd buy all the new stuff in metal in a heartbeat.

I'm seeing that warlord is doing a lot of stuff on the horizon in the new plastic and I hope they do metal versions at some point(like footsore that do resin first then metal).

also be wary of mixing warlord with victrix,  know the very old warlord stuff is essentially 25mm and too small/victrix towers over it, the newer sculpts are bigger but I am unsure if they are big enough.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
I wish this were a serious comment about Dacian / Sarmatian armies, or even the figures, but I'm afraid it isn't. All I can think of is Susages. Is he from an Asterix book?

Without doing some research, for which I lack time, there's no way of knowing whether it's a real name, a pun, or a typo, especially since Warlord lost their credibility with the misspelling of Schiess in their Zulu War range.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 05:59:46 PM »
Susages as far as I can see is a made up name, originally he was just a 'shaman advisor', he got a name and profile in the spqr book.

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
If the figs are in the new Warlord resin then it will be the same material as the new Judge Dredd figs are made from.  It''s a soft resin with a feel very like some boardgame miniatures.
I didn't have prominent mould lines on my Dredd figs so I didn't have to do much clean up but many people report it needs careful handling, ideally taking the mould lines off with a very sharp blade like you do with soft polystyrene figs.  I washed my figs in warm soapy water prior to priming and they took paint very well.  Some people say the material takes paint well even without washing. 
Overall  the opinion in the Judge Dredd community  on the Warlord resin is mixed.  Some think it is OK but many would prefer metal or a better resin. I can't say I like it much myself.  It's not superior to metal in terms of ease of working and details on the figs are definitely softer than those in Warlord's metal figs.
sounds like GW's "finecast". bleh.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »
Susages as far as I can see is a made up name, originally he was just a 'shaman advisor', he got a name and profile in the spqr book.

I hope they now feel better about not being allowed to call their druid Getafix, or their inability to come up with something equally witty. I can't help feeling he should have a canine companion, though.

On a more mature note, does anyone know whether the Dacians / Sarmatians had shamans? If you'll forgive my cynicism, something tells me Warlord probably don't care.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 06:53:19 PM »
I hope they now feel better about not being allowed to call their druid Getafix, or their inability to come up with something equally witty. I can't help feeling he should have a canine companion, though.

On a more mature note, does anyone know whether the Dacians / Sarmatians had shamans? If you'll forgive my cynicism, something tells me Warlord probably don't care.

Iirc looking online they had holy men, no specific mentions of shamans though, methinks warlord sculpted the mini first and having no lace to put him, stuck him in with the king.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
And there I was thinking I was overly cynical. Shame on you, sir.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
And there I was thinking I was overly cynical. Shame on you, sir.

If that was directed at me, I apologise and consider myself duly chastened, sir.