Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Godtear. Anyone have any experience with it?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Godtear. Anyone have any experience with it?
« on: January 04, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »
Hex-based area combat from Steamforged Games. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/250664/godtear

Purchased a copy of the Borderlands starter and one extra warband for myself for Christmas. (I liked the minis and it was reduced price at Miniature Market.)
From what I can tell, it's similar to Shadespire or Beastgrave, maybe? Anyone tried it out?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Godtear. Anyone have any experience with it?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:53:29 PM »
aaaaand I'm guessing "no" ?

OK. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »
Having had a look at the Steamforged site, the imagery looks more like fantasy, I wonder if you might have got a better response there?

I like their description of the figures being "pre-coloured", ie moulded in different colours.

Tell us about the game.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
There was a lot of detail on the Kickstarter. Some of the figure sets look great.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
As usual, youtube is your best source for this kind of info.  Multiple playthroughs and intro/review videos on this channel (and others, but this is the set I watched): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtClrQJ29RQ

Not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

Also, ye gods, what wordplay.  "Godtear - God tier"  Yeesh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:58:17 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »
Thanks all.

I'm not a competitive/arena gamer. The minis caught my eye more than anything. It was more of a "oooh look! sale, Christmas, cool minis, could be neat" purchase. If it doesn't work as is, I'll make something simple up and use the sets with my grandsons. And any time with them is worth it.

I thought the wordplay was "tear" as in weeping and 'tear' as in ripping. 

I'll give it a once over and get back to you. 

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
The miniatures are very cool, I'm not sure the gameplay is my kind of thing though, but its pretty and production quality looks high, especially for the cost.

Depending on the of the miniatures I might pick up some of the warbands. All I can find is that the minions are somewhere between 28mm and 32mm.

Would you be up for taking a couple of comparison pics? :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
Depending on the of the miniatures I might pick up some of the warbands. All I can find is that the minions are somewhere between 28mm and 32mm.

I'm not sure the game really uses a consistent scale, or at least the figs in the vids seem to be all over the place.  The bosses are definitely larger, probably 40mm-ish or bigger, but even the little minion types vary enough that I'd believe that 28-32mm spread.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 11:16:39 PM »
Don't have figs in hand yet, but it seemed from the online photos the grunts are 32mm-ish and their Leaders/Champions are definitely larger.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:33 AM »
I picked up two crossbowmen off ebay, they are definitely on the larger end of 32mm, if you have any Zenit Nemesis Kingdom of God figures they fit nicely with those. 
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:45:32 AM »
I have the game and have played it a few times. Quite fun. Very simple rules but the strategy in the game comes from the placement of your models and the interactions between the various abilities each Champion and followers have. Less a miniatures game and more of a board game  with minis. Some of the Champions are quite nice though.

Nothing really ever dies in the game. One of the Champions can ever resurrect other Champions.

More of a 'thinking' game than a 'smash things' game as you are working to position your forces to score the most points to sin the turn. Each turn is worth a differing number of VPs.

I quite like it.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
I backed the game on Kickstarter after trying it with my friend's test kit a couple years ago. The rules are nice and simple. Each turn has two phases where you activate each champion and each group of minions, and games last for about 30-45 minutes. I have all of the models currently in the range. The miniature quality is decent, especially if you consider Godtear to be a board game rather than a miniatures game. The models are cast in a medium hard plastic (harder than Reaper Bones, for example) and have some decent detail. They required a lot of cleanup for painting, but overall they're not too bad.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.

TBH, I haven't had the time to unpack it yet. and here I thought it would be a slow winter...