Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heart's Necromunda: Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Finished  (Read 3279 times)

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Heart's Necromunda: Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Finished
« on: January 04, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
Hey, long time no post.
I recently started getting into the idea of Necromunda and wanted to start a project log for it. This stuff was all painted for the Analogue Hobbies Paint Challenge so far but I have such a pile of it growing I'm sure I'll still be chipping away on it when the challenge is over.

So first up is the Delaque Gang. My plan is to paint each gang right out of the box and then pick one or two factions to "main" and probably expand on.

The instructions give you build options for "Named" characters and I just followed those as I haven't actually played yet. I originally started with some Cawdor stuff but these were such a blast to paint they kicked something loose and I now own all of the plastic set. So much for a small project XD

The "project" is probably going to culminate in either a campaign or some sort of convention game with some sort of elaborate board but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Everything I read about Necromunda makes me excited but there are a few in our group who have had some bad experiences with the old edition so I'm reserving judgement until I play.

Next up Cawdor.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:37:09 PM by hearts261 »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Delaque Gang
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »
Those look great.  The Delaques are one of the gangs I don't have yet for Necromunda but they are probably the ones I will get next.  Your paint job really makes them look like creepy weirdos, which seems to be what you want.

We have a guy playing Delaque in our league this spring.  They are 1-0 so far. 

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Cawdor Gang
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »
Thanks, I'm reasonably happy with them. The Necromunda stuff I've painted thus far is coming out real dark and a little grimy and I think that fits the vibe well. Rakarth Flesh is one of the few GW paints I still swear by.

Next up is Cawdor batch 1. I say batch 1 for a couple of reasons. First of all a tiny bit of backstory.
When New-cromunda was released I paid 0 attention to it. On launch the Goliaths and Escher did next to nothing for me and the thought of yet another game to collect was not my speed. It wasn't until the Cawdor release that I took notice. I bought the box on release day and built it that night saying "even if I don't play these models are too cool" I ended up asking on the Necromunda Reddit what book I'd need, only to be told there were 3 separate books just to play with this one box. So back on my to-do pile they went until Dark Uprising and Gangs of the Underhive compiled all the gangs into one book.

So batch one here is the plastic box set, right out of the box. I went all in on Cawdor and picked up a couple packs of bomb rats as well as the Headsman from Forgeworld. I'm also working on a bit of a conversion for the Cawdor Brute but I'm waiting on some bits from a friend to finish it.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Delaque and Cawdor Gang
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »
Great stuff, and yes the release of Necromunda in regards to rules has been a mess, but then so are all GW games these days.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
Thanks
It's not so bad from what I can tell if you pick up that Comprehensive PDF that's floating around but yeah, walking into a shop off the street and trying to get into the game is a bit intimidating.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Hive City WIP
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:28:03 PM »
I've begun working on the actual terrain for the table but not at all in the way I was thinking when I originally picked up Dark Uprising.

Based on the old White Dwarf Article I've started my own Hive Table. I figured between my growing obsession with Necromunda and the new Judge Dredd stuff among other things I could justify the cost of a Proxxon cutter and the time to build something just a little crazy

The whole board is going to measure out to a whopping 28 x 36 x 42" and is going to have a degree of modularity to keep things interesting. Each corner will have its own Point of interest and the first corner in question will have an elevator shaft.

I have a lot of lofty ideas for this one but for now its in its infancy. For scale purposes here's a couple figures placed on the board

I've detailed a little bit more of the build process on my blog here https://gamingwithmitten.blogspot.com/2020/01/hive-city-table-1-plans-and-first.html but in general, the walkways are 60mm deep and on 1" board. the structural board is 1.5" and the height between floors is 3 inches.

All this took about an evening of work. So provided I don't get bogged down too heavy into something else, this should be slow and steady progress.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »
I have a lot of lofty ideas

I see what you did there - this is looking very promising.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Goliath Gang Added
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
I've been chipping away at the two tables for the eventual games but in the mean time I cracked out another gang for the project.

Next up on my list is the Goliath Gang.

I really have a love-hate relationship with these guys. I didn't find much initial attachement to the "melee faction in the gun game" but as I put the washes on the figures they grew on me a bit. I think I'm so excited at the prospect of playing the game that my mind is running wild at the narative posiblities that it all excites me now.

In particular I love the idea of "mining colonies using improvised gear" so the respirators, wrenches, rivet guns ect do all work for me. I think I wrote them off as Beefy without Purpose" but again, they have grown on me. In terms of time spent, these fell somewhere between the other two, not as quick as the Cawdor, not as laborious as the Delaque

The day is getting much closer for me to actually roll some dice now and I think within the next update or two I'll have a playtest post.

Offline TimbotheGreat

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 04:23:38 AM »
Really nice stuff here. I look forward to seeing the progress on the old white dwarf themed terrain. I all ways wanted to play on that when i was a kid.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »
Thanks. I have done a little more but not enough for another wave of photos yet. We cleared off the table for the playtest of the Hoth Game we're gonna run at a local show in 2 weeks and then I've spent the entire week in bed with the flu and haven't done much of anything. I've been chipping away on the Forgeworld bounty hunters but nothing concrete yet.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »
Nice figures, but that board looks majestic.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Another Tables worth of Terrain
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
Well, I did say in the last post about terrain that I'd make some "slow and steady progress if I don't get bogged down in something else"
I ended up finishing out the AHPC X with this stuff and am just getting around to posting it here. This is the Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Bundle. I love this stuff and want to get a little bit more. The kit could use some extra stairs and maybe one more small hex platform but otherwise I'm super impressed with it.

and here it is all laid out in a pile

Definitely worth the price and I'd say hopefully enough for a game. With everything up in the air right now I may just play a solo game for the time being, we'll see.

In the mean time I have all the new Goliath Stuff built and on my work bench now.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Finished
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »
Very nice work. If I may ask,who is that mat from? I like the Death Ray Designs stuff, but can't find shipping costs to the UK on the site.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Finished
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »
Thanks!
The Mat is a cigar box mat. I'm not in love with it for the base of this but it will do. Generally I love their mats because they drape really nicely and it's easy to slide foam hills under them but with this sort of layout it doesn't really matter.

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Re: Heart's Necromunda: First Bounty Hunter and Van Saar Gang
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
It's been a while since I finished anything, apparently I only work on necromunda during the AHPC now.

Here is Ortruum 8-8, one of the Forgeworld Bounty Hunters

and here is the starter gang I finished for Van Saar. I'm trying not to buy anything for a little while because I'm totally buried in WIP stuff but I really want to get my hands on the new van saar kit.