Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Definition of a 'project'...  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Definition of a 'project'...
« on: January 05, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
So, wot's a project?
Is it from opening the parcel containing the goodies needed for yer latest braynwave? Or can a project be tickling up and re-basing old and dilapidated figures you've had tucked away for ever?
Depending on the Brethren's answer is whether or not I've completed mi' first 'project' of the twenties!

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Definition of a 'project'...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »
So, wot's a project?
Is it from opening the parcel containing the goodies needed for yer latest braynwave? Or can a project be tickling up and re-basing old and dilapidated figures you've had tucked away for ever?
Depending on the Brethren's answer is whether or not I've completed mi' first 'project' of the twenties!

???
You have - well done!  :D

To paraphrase Jerome K. Jerome in Three Men on the Bummel: 'A (modelling) project... I should describe as a journey, long or short, without an end'.
That's how I see it - it can be a rebased old model to a gigantic army with a 12' x 8' games board to match. It's without an end because you can extend it all the way from a single model to a gigantic undertaking.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
Thank you Sir, first project completed in the roaring twenties!!!

:-*

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
My projects start as soon as they come into my head. For example, I have post-apocalyptic Metro 2033 inspired project that I've had in mind for years - but haven't started because I have enough figures from enough "in-progress" projects already.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
Anything from a set of Jump Off Points (completed today), to an entire army plus terrain, markers etc.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »
When someone says "project", I consider that to be an ongoing effort to create and game in a particular IP/era/genre in a given scale.  This encompasses table making, terrain buying/building, miniatures buying/building/painting, etc.

I currently have a handful of active projects, or games which I own miniatures/terrain/rules for and game, or pursue gaming. If someone says they're doing a little hobby project that's probably something a little less inclusive.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:54:06 AM »
First finished project of 2020...

Jarl Putrid Son Of Putrid leading his band of cutthroats…

Lord Bada Boggweede and the Warriors of his Great Hall…

:)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 08:23:04 AM »
Very nice! But surely that would be Jarl Putridson... ?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
Certainly not, it's all based on that load of old bollix that was on BBC2!
Very authentic like, right down to all the Saxons having kite shields and the Vikings having round ones...
so any moron watching can tell which sides which.

>:(

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »
Certainly not, it's all based on that load of old bollix that was on BBC2!
Very authentic like, right down to all the Saxons having kite shields and the Vikings having round ones...
so any moron watching can tell which sides which.

>:(

Well, as I don't have a TV license, that would explain why I didn't get the reference :)

Gabbi

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 08:31:31 AM »
Never thought about this, but in my mind, I think a project can be anything from buy, build and paint everything for a new game (so models and terrain) to the more focused small project (that is often part of a larger one) like let's finish these 12 dudes you need to field and you don't enjoy painting :)

Online SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
I'd say a project is anything that requires a bit of planning.
So finishing off those 12 unpainted figures isn't a project, but rebasing an old army, or painting up a couple of hundred figures or making terrain modules is.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:45 AM »
When someone says "project", I consider that to be an ongoing effort to create and game in a particular IP/era/genre in a given scale.  This encompasses table making, terrain buying/building, miniatures buying/building/painting, etc

That’s pretty much the definition I use; a “project” is a scale/period combination.

I don’t really have a consistently used term for the “ bunch of related stuff”, say a single DBA army which  might  be a piece of a project. “ Sub-project”, I suppose...