Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690586
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mexican-American War options?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Mexican-American War options?
« on: January 06, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
Considering returning to another of my 'one day I will...' project ideas - the Mexican-American war, and I'm looking for some opinions on the figure options out there;

15/18mm I know Blue Moon and Eureka both do really nice figures and normally I would just opt straight for these, but given I'd quite like to do the California Campaign I need to be able to get hold of suitable figures for US Marines and sailors; would the figures in the existing ranges suffice, or does anyone know where I can get hold of suitable stand-ins?

(I don't know an awful lot about the uniforms etc. of the time, reading up on the war will be my next task)

25/28mm the options seem to be Old Glory and/or 1st Corps, and since I already have Maximilian Adventure on the go in the same scale then it would seem to be sensible to plump for 25/28mm for purposes of scenary etc.
In which case:
- anyone able to point me to decent pictures of the Old Glory range? I've scouted around on google and found a few, but the pictures of the Old Glory figures on the US site rather than the UK one aren't very informative.
- 1st Corps don't have sailors/marines in their range, Old Glory do - anyone know how the two ranges compare?

Any options I've missed out on? Or views on the fgures themselves?

Thanks!

Rob

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:45:16 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
Re: Mexican-Amercian War options?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »
Hi rob
Ist corps do nice range

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
First Corps are definitely my range of choice. Although some of the poses can be a bit "odd",and some of the detail can be a bit exaggerated,oversize hands etc.
The figures are very easy to paint,with plenty of raised detail,perfect for dry brushing,and are very reasonably priced,the "brigade_ deals being particularly good value.
As for sailors "First Corps" have sailors in their "American Civil War" range,and I'm guessing US marine uniforms of the 1840's weren't too dis-similiar from those of the infantry.

Cheers,
Andy

"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:31:54 PM »
I know you didn't ask, but for rules I suggest looking at Gone to See the Elephant by The Virtual Armchair General, chiefly because my name appears in it as a backer.

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Old Glory and First Corp figures are marginally different in size.  But, I find, not glaringly so.

As previously stated First Corp do have some odd proportions.  Large heads and large hands.  But, again, not a game changer for me.

The uniforms for US Marines were NOT close between the ACW and the Mexican-American War.  If you need Marines, just use the standard US field uniform.  For naval personnel, Old Glory does a very nice range of sailors for the Mex-American War.  Additional plus is they can also be used for Naval and Revenue Service for the Second Seminole War. 

I've included one photo of the Old Glory Sailors, but I am afraid it doesn't do them justice with the poor quality.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:41:25 PM »
QRF has a range of true 15mm Mexican-American War figures that cover the California campaign.  They work well with Mini Figs 15mm Mexican-American War.

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
there is also a 10mm option with a US company, not sure of their name but they look good.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Company D is starting a range of us-mexican war in 28mm.

http://companyd.co.uk/online-shop/categories/U.S%20Mexican%20War

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 01:00:55 AM »
1st Corps. The rest...well no comment. :)
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
I thought I would dig out some photos of two of my American battalions for the Mex-Amer War.  This should give an idea of quality and size (even though my photos suck).

#1 First Corp
#2 First Corp
#3 Old Glory
#4 Old Glory
#5 side by side comparison
Each company has it's own stylized look.  What appeals to you is your own individual preference.  As you can see, the First Corp are slightly larger, but not outrageously so.  I hope this helps.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:41:34 PM »
Minifigs 15mm US Dragoons here.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
Thanks all, that's really useful; I see what you mean about the proportions and odd poses in some of the 25mm, although I think I could live with.

Got to admit I'm still drawn towards doing it in 15/18mm though, in which case it would be Blue Moon/Eurkea. I had a look at the QRF range but I'm not keen on the limited number of poses, although they're the only ones to do sailors and the 7th New York.

I'm thinking I could bodge the New York volunteers in their shakos with soem war of 1812 US infantry and judicial use of a needle file and some clippers... sailors in round hats though I can't find options for anywhere in that scale.

Common sense would say 25mm though. We'll see!

Need to do some reading around first too, and finish off what else is on the pile before I start buying, so plenty of time to ponder.

Thanks!