Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hoplites anyone?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
Hoplites anyone?
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:14 PM »
With the wealth of new(ish) games out there today for this period, what is the overall state of Greek Hoplite figures?  I think these broadly break down into the period with what I would call the classic bronze cuirass versus those with linen?  I'm sure that's an over generalization, but is it useful to break out early from later hoplites?

I'm aware of the following, although not really clear about how they stack up and mix together from a size/style standpoint.  And just as importantly, which ones have readily available shield transfers?

Wargames Foundry (LBMS transfers)
Aventine
Lucid Eye / Footsore
Lucid Eye / Ziggurat (seem really large)
Crusader (LBMS transfers)
Victrix (plastics, LBMS transfers)
Gorgon (Spartans / Estruscans equipped as Greeks, LBMS transfers)
Old Glory (I think these are later period/linen armor?)
Warlord (plastics & metals - early & late, LBMS for at least some - seems like multiple figure lines hiding here)
1st Corps (bronze & linen, LBMS transfers)
Vendel Miniatures - not sure they're still around?

I'm sure I must be missing some, but that's why I'm asking!  I'm looking to build small armies for Clash of Spears / Mortal Gods but want to make sure I get what I actually need!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Hoplites anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
The Foundry ones are of two types - the older Perry-sculpted ones (which I have) and the later Steve Saleh ones which are quite a bit bigger. Both nice figures but not to mix in one unit.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
Mirliton make a few.

Vedel Miniatures are now produced by Thistle and Rose.
Black Tree Design did but don't seem to be making them any more.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
Victrix Greeks are beautiful and really got me hooked on 28mm figures. They are taller and would work with Aventine. 

The Warlord (formerly Immortal) figures are smaller and would work well with Old Glory.  If the Perry Wargames Foundry Greeks are more like 25mm they will work with these as well.

Wargames Factory mage Greeks too (plastic) but they are not in production any more. Their bodies fit well with Victrix and with some green stuff or other putty you can put extra Victrix heads onto the Wargames Factory bodies (their head sculpts are pretty limited but the bodies are nice).

Victrix Greeks are in standing poses.  The Warlord ones are in phalanx thrusting spears in an attack.

You can swap out the Warlord heads (they are small) with Victrix Macedonians and Successors to make more 28mm sized figures.

The Victrix Greek heads are just too big to fit on the Warlord bodies. (The later Victrix figures have slightly smaller heads - the Greek heads are big!)

Hope this helps.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
I have painted quite a few warlord ones 50 odd figures, they are very nice but much smaller and finer than my Foundry ones. I have also painted the BTD figures which were very nice also.

I am selling the warlord miniatures (painted and unpainted) as I prefer the Foundry miniatures as they have more character figures and rank up better for my Spartans and Athenians.

Cheers
Matt

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 12:39:59 AM »
In that scale transfers would spoil the fun.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 09:53:41 PM »
Here are a few of the figures noted above- This is mixed unit of old 28mm hoplites cobbled together from various units onto new bases, some with new shields.
Some of the shields are hand painted, some are old transfers, some are my own home printed transfers.

The majority of these are Old Glory, then there are some Newline Designs, and some outliers. One of the old Foundry, and a Warlord plastic hoplite that just got tossed into the mix. Some mix better than others. I agree that Victrix heads are huge and make them compatible with the later Saleh Foundry figures- which are also large headed.

I'd say that Vendel can be combined with Victrix to some extent. Gorgon are very nice but also fairly large in scale.

JJonas

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »
As the Oracle speaketh, old Hoplites never die.
Re-base all comers and get stuck in!!!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:27:07 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
I also have painted the black tree for a customer, they are very large in comparison.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:21:01 PM by bluewillow »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
Victrix Greeks are beautiful and really got me hooked on 28mm figures. They are taller and would work with Aventine. 

The Warlord (formerly Immortal) figures are smaller and would work well with Old Glory.  If the Perry Wargames Foundry Greeks are more like 25mm they will work with these as well.
[...]
Victrix Greeks are in standing poses.  The Warlord ones are in phalanx thrusting spears in an attack.

You can swap out the Warlord heads (they are small) with Victrix Macedonians and Successors to make more 28mm sized figures.

The Victrix Greek heads are just too big to fit on the Warlord bodies. (The later Victrix figures have slightly smaller heads - the Greek heads are big!)

Hope this helps.
Just adding to that; the Victrix plastic hoplites do mix rather well with the Warlord plastic Macedonians - the latter not being Immortal figures, but their own range in their bulkier scale.
~Ad finem temporum~