Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Assembling the Perry British 2lb AT Gun  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Assembling the Perry British 2lb AT Gun
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has details on how you attach the gunner to the Perry British 2lb gun? I have really struggled assembling this for some reason, and the pictures on the Perry site aren't very clear.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Assembling the Perry British 2lb AT Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 12:57:36 AM »
Hmmm. Here's my one... Not sure these shots throw much light on the matter. I'll try to do a close-up pic tomorrow for you.
TBH, none of these Perry metal artillery pieces fit together very well, and the instructions are - non-existent (literally) lol
(I had the devil's own job working out how the French 75mm field gun went together...  ::))

Just finishing Colin Smith's truly excellent book, 'Singapore Burning', charting the calamitous collapse of British Malaya and Singapore in 1942. There's a cracking photo of one of these 2 pounders (Australian) in action against Japanese tanks - very very successfully. Two x 2pdrs took out 9 Japanese tanks in one episode.
I'd always assumed these little A/T guns were somewhat puny, but apparently, against the relatively thin-skinned Japanese armour, they were the best weapons on the battlefield  :o

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:43:46 AM »

I don't know how helpful it is for your purposes but this is a great shot of the gunlayer on the real 2 pounder.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 01:47:22 AM »
I'd always assumed these little A/T guns were somewhat puny, but apparently, against the relatively thin-skinned Japanese armour, they were the best weapons on the battlefield  :o

The 2 pounder could take on anything that the Axis had until the beginning of 1942, when the Germans uparmoured their tanks in response. Even then, with the Littlejohn adapter a 2 pounder was still capable of useful AT performance.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 07:34:21 AM »
Thanks chaps, both very helpful. I shall manfully struggle on. My worst flaw is impatience,  so I probably need to take a deep breath and get everything properly lined up and set before moving on to the next step.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »
Here you go... In hideously revealing close-up  lol
Don't know whether these will help because TBH the way some of these Perry equipment pieces fit together involves more than a little bit of a wing and a prayer. You just have to place your glue where you think it's going to fit best. It isn't always obvious where parts are supposed to go by any means  :?

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
FYI, Richard (Capt Blood) modeled the gunner on his own awesome physique!  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
About 30 years ago, possibly  ;)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:18 AM »
Doubtful  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks for that. I really wish the Perrys would at least put a diagram up. For example, is the gun sight support supposed to be tilted? Does the site actually attach to the gun screen etc..  It's surprisingly difficult to find detailed pics online. Or they could have actually modelled an attachment for the gunner's seat. As it is, I suspect his arm is going to get glued to the recoil mechanism just to keep him anchored.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »
I really wish the Perrys would at least put a diagram up.

Come on, the fun of building models is to start by throwing away the instructions!!!!!!!!!!!

About 30 years ago, possibly

Richard, did you do all of the stunts for Sylvester Stalone is his latest Rambo movie?  ;)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
I agree Doug I am sick and tired of manufacturers not producing assembly diagrams for their guns.

Westwind were the only ones I managed to put together without a struggle.

If Rubicon had their out when I got mine I would have bought all my guns from them.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
To be fair, they do have a diagram (well, some annotated photos) on the product page on their website showing where the parts are supposed to go. It’s the second photo.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_75&products_id=3009&osCsid=q4m0d82akom278o1dv9l4rhtq0

I think it’s more that when you actually get the metal parts in your hand, they don’t always seem to fit together too obviously or particularly well (and I speak as No.1 Perry fanboy... )
So the photos on the website provide a good guide, but it’s not like a precision-engineered Rubicon plastic kit where everything fits together beautifully, with guide lines, lugs, recesses and slots on every part (not to mention lavishly illustrated instructions) so there’s no doubt about where every single component goes.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 12:08:38 AM »
I confess, I can't see Rubicon or any other plastics manufacturer producing a British 2lb gun. There's not enough appetite for Early War unless it's fanboi tanks that appear in World of Tanks it would seem (Char B1 bis).

I don't mind, the Perry kit is lovely, it is just a PITA to put together.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »
Here is one I saw online
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club