Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Porlock (Blood & Plunder Con demo, 23Feb20)  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Port New Porlock
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
Looking superb. I will follow this with great interest I am working on a Blood and Plunder game myself. I live about 30 miles from Porlock.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
Their used to be a riding school I  Porlock that my Father and Aunt went to some 40+ years ago. My father was so enchanted with the area that it has been a destination for us nearly every trip.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (pirate board)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 04:20:27 AM »
So I finished the Island that the ruined lighthouse will go on. This island is made up of 3d printed sections and I chose this method as a bit of a test. I found their to be several advantages and disadvantages over more tradition scratch building methods.
First the Pros: Time - While the total amount of time it took to print was longer then if I had made it from scratch the actual time its printing allows me to do other things. So  the time I actually spent working on it was less; Durability - Each section is made of 3d printed plastic and clipped/supper-glued to each other. This makes for an overall more durable finished product then if made from foam while still being light.
Now the Cons: Variety - while there are a number of options available to print and each section can be rearranged as you see fit, you are still limited strictly to those combinations; Play-ability - The only problem I can see with play ability is the steepness of the slopes. I had made a simple round hill before and when flocked the models would slide right off. This one is a bit better since the dirt/sand texture offers a bit more friction but not great.
Overall I am very happy with the end result as it will fit the needs of why I made it. I'm not sure I'll use it as a primary method for making hills but it is certainly an option.

A figure for scale.

With the WIP old lighthouse.

And the underside so you can see all the sections I had to print.

For those who are interested here are the links to the 3d STL files:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2736851
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3204618
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3208621
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3682951
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2686090

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (pirates & civilians added)
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
Finished up some pirates and civilians for New Porlock.

The recent batch.

Pirate Captain and officers.

Melee armed crew.

Musket armed crew.

Civilians.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:19 PM »
Coming along nicely, what make are your civilians?

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
Civilians are from Perry Miniatures

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
A small (WIP) modular coastal fort to guard the harbor. Files from http://www.laserdreamworks.com/3d-printed-terrain/

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 2/3/20)
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »
My amazing and supportive wife was tired of seeing photos of my terrain and games for this setting on a blue cloth or dining table cloth. So she ordered me a new 6x4 one from FLG Mats as a gift. As soon as it arrived I had to take some photos.

You may notice some terrain in this one, I also did several different test setups of New Porlock, more photos on that to follow.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 13Feb20)
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
The mat looks great and I really like your ships ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 13Feb20)
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »
Since I got the new mat in I had to do some test setups to get a feel for how much terrain I still need and the space to use.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 16Feb20)
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
great setup :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 16Feb20)
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »
Finished the modular coastal fort. Files for the 3d prints are from 3d Printed Terrain: http://www.laserdreamworks.com/3d-printed-terrain/

The parts can be re-arranged to make different variations.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (updated 17Feb20)
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 01:40:34 AM »
Finally finished the last of my 16th-17th century sailors, landing party, pirates. Collection is a mix of Perry Miniatures, Galloping Major, and Wargames Foundry. For big land games I'll use them with Muskets and Tomahawks as a custom unit. I'll also be using them with Blood & Plunder. For small games I'll be using Fistfull of Lead.

Here is all 54

I divided them up into 3 rough groups. The first is just generic sailors who could really be any faction.

second are those that, to me, have a distinct pirate feel to them.

Third are those the feel more like navy sailors.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (54 Sailors, 20Feb20)
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:23 AM »
Just got back from the first annual CoastalCon in Beaufort SC. I ran a Blood & Plunder demo set in my fictional Port New Porlock which I started this thread to document my progress on. It was the first demo game I ever ran at a con and it was lots of fun.
Rule Changes:
I only timed the rules a bit. We didn't use Captains, Brake Points, or Fortune. Each player had 2 units of 4 and I only took 1 of the special rules for each. I also kept every armed with the same types of weapons such as if they had muskets, everyone with muskets and the same kind.
Scenario:
The English Frigate HMS Hunter had just arrived to New Porlock to deliver cannons for the newly constructed Fort Thomas and pick up valuable trade goods for the return trip. With the arming of the Fort, New Porlock could become a base of operation for the English and a challenge for the French and Spanish in the area. To counter this, a near by Spanish colony has sent a small force to attack the town. When they learn the English will be hanging a French Privateer Captain, they enlist the help of his crew for the attack.
Their are 6 objectives (marked with gold coins) which the attackers must secure/destroy. Any objectives left on the table at the end of turn 6 go to the defender. 1) burn the tavern; 2) burn the merchant headquarters; 3) free the privateer captain; 4) loot the cargo in the market; 5) spike the cannons at the Fort Thomas; 6) set HMS Hunter on fire. After the first 2 games it became apparent that the fort and frigate where a bit out of reach for this scenario. I changed it for the rest of the games so that their where 3 loot objectives in the market which ended up being more reasonable.

Here are pictures of the table setup. Game pictures to follow in separate post.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Port New Porlock (54 Sailors, 20Feb20)
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:24 AM »
Here are shots from the 4 demo games I ran. 1st & 4th games were Draws, 2nd was an English victory, 3rd was Spanish/French victory.