Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:55:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Castle scratchbuilt more pics interior secret passageways  (Read 3691 times)

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
Re: Castle scratchbuilt more pics interior secret passageways
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 01:48:51 AM »
  Thank you everyone for the compliments

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 03:10:05 AM »
That is a really impressive piece of work. And I speak as a man who has modelled some castles.

http://harness-and-array.blogspot.com/2009/03/fortified-watchtower.html

Your model here is right or at least close to accurate in terms of architectural credibility, and anyway it's fantasy, so you don't need to conform 100% to historical practices! What I am really impressed with is firstly the imagination that's gone into it, with every tower and building being quite different to all the rest. And secondly you've used good techniques and carried them through the whole project in a neat and consistent way. This gives a lovely visual impression.

I was trying to work out what you'd used for the basic stonework texture. Would I be right in thinking it's some sort of cast sheets of resin or plaster, backed with foamcard or whatever, the tiles and slates being done the same way?

Hundreds of hours of work must have gone into this. It was time well spent, as you've made something really attractive and unique Is there anywhere we can see more of your work?

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 11:30:38 PM »
 The stonework/ tiling were made by sculpting a master, then taking a mold.

I used 2 methods.  A silicone mold was made. In that mold I trowel in a mix of ceramic tile adhesive reinforced with drywall mesh tape. When dry cut and glue.

I also made a thin latex mold. I mixed durabond 90 and weldbond wood glue. Trowel the mix on the plywood  model .when smooth dust it with fine sand.
 Dust the thin latex mold sheet with durabond 90 powder and press the pattern into the wall.

The roof tiles are made using the first method.

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 01:53:39 AM »
Okay, CTMM, we don't have most of those products here in the UK, but I get the picture.

Once again, great model, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.