Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689760
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lovecraft film  (Read 7427 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Lovecraft film
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
Young kids are a lot brighter than adults.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
Really? My youngest (9) loves Indianna Jones, Lord of the Rings, James Bond (the bits I let him watch, and not the 15’s). Never says, “where is Gandalf/Indi/Bonds mobile? That’s so stupid. They (the 11 year old too) loved “Where Eagles Dare”.  Are my children unique? I don’t buy it!

Do your children have mobile phones? I was really thinking of teenagers and people in their twenties. I was also being slightly facetious. (Sorry, I don't do emojis).

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:01 AM »
Do your children have mobile phones? I was really thinking of teenagers and people in their twenties. I was also being slightly facetious. (Sorry, I don't do emojis).

Why did I say, “That’s so stupid”? Not sure, but I didn’t mean that to come across as aggressive. Apologies. Perhaps you touched a raw nerve with me. I hate mobiles. I have one I have to use for work, but I don’t use it otherwise.

Yes, the 11 year old had one for his birthday. I wasn’t really in favour, I must admit, but quite literally, all the children seem to have them around 11.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
I wasn't (too much) offended by the stupidity remark.  It's a risk you take when you post anything without giving the matter very deep thought, and in my case, at least, even that does not guarantee saying anything sensible. I humbly request the LAF court take 500 + other offences into consideration.

I also dislike mobile phones, for a number of reasons. I've owned a few, very reluctantly - though no longer, at least in a usable state - and, after the initial novelty had worn off, hated being in thrall to them. They are tools of oppression and control, undoubtedly the creation of beings of bottomless evil.

P.S. I'm typing this in the Apple store.

Offline GarrisonMiniatures

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 06:56:30 PM »
Personally I always feel that any story taken out of it's original time period loses something. Stories are written with a lot of (often unseen) background - the science of the time (right or wrong!), social attitudes, underlying religious beliefs, etc - and they are all part of the story. Try and update the story to modern times without changing these doesn't seem right unless you change the story to compensate - and then it's either a completely different story that just happens to have a similar plot or title, or it's just very, very wrong.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
dunno - we (or my other half I should say really) sometimes go on netflix and amazon courtesy of an old friend's account - seems to be tons of period / historical stuff, with pretty darn good set-dressing as far as I'm any judge.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »
 Personally, I quite enjoyed 'Colour...', but I get the objections to aspects of it voiced here, a period approach could be nice, but it clearly doesn't always work (as demonstrated by the recent BBC adaptation of War of the Worlds).
 I'm looking forward to what they do with The Dunwich Horror (one of my favorite of HPL's stories), but am not too worried about the period the adaptation is set in - the twenties would allow for a Dunwich which portrays a greater sense of isolation than is likely to exist in the age of the cell phone internet, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it were set now. (incidentally, The Void, The Endless and Apostle are all films with an excellent Lovecraftian vibe without being overtly Mythos themed.)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 03:00:09 AM »
I enjoyed the film overall, but I agree with the comments that it would have been better in the 1930s.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:52 AM »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
Black Mountain, on Prime; archaeological dig in northern Canada finds something that shouldn't be there, then it all gets a bit unpleasant.

A claustrophobic slow burn but worth a watch

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
I think the full title is Black Mountain Side.
Anyway, I liked it (slow pace is not a problem for me), but the creature was more comical than scary.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 04:23:31 PM »
That didn't bother me, all part of the creeping madness and all that - what did bother me was the way the characters kept speaking about the awful, dangerous, damn cold, but kept leaving the door open  >:(
The boys from The Thing would never have stood for it

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
I think the full title is Black Mountain Side.
Anyway, I liked it (slow pace is not a problem for me), but the creature was more comical than scary.

hmm, black mountain side- abstruse LedZep reference (or I should say Bert Jansch)?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:39:27 PM by Bloggard »

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
The Borderlands - cynical Vatican miracle approvers check out events in an ancient church, but they should really be looking underneath it...
Not full on mythos but enough to strike chords; the set up reminded me of a few CoC scenarios - mysterious goings on, surly locals etc
Worth a watch