Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Steel Fist / Perry cavalry conversions  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Steel Fist / Perry cavalry conversions
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
Steel Fist Miniatures recently released some late medieval cavalry for the 1450-1500 period. They are really nice, with an interesting mix of armour and helmets leaning towards Italian and Spanish styles. They have separate heads and swords for maximum converting potential. They use the same unbarded horses as their recent 16th century light cavalry.

They scale perfectly well with Perry WOTR. The horses are perhaps a millimetre shorter than the plastic Perry ones, and potentially a bit stockier, with thicker necks. They will mix in just fine.

They are posed to hold their lances upright or at a slight angle. Now I prefer my cavalry to have their lances at closer to a 45 degree angle.... so these are going to be used as standard bearers, which is perfectly fine. My one small critique is the hands - if you are planning to give them the metal lances they are supplied with, I don't see how you can do so without cutting off their thumbs. I've given my wire spears as flag poles though, so that wasn't an issue for me.

I'm very excited to mix them in with my Perry cavalry units to get a wider variety of armour styles. Of course, I wasn't just going to use them without a bit of converting.

I've assembled three, and decided to put them on the plastic Perry horses. To do so you need to slice off the front and back parts of the saddle from the horses (do this before you glue the two halves together), which is easy. The riders fit on the horses perfectly, but come with the saddles sculpted on. So then you've just got to use a bit of green stuff to fill the gap and smooth everything over, which my limited sculpting skills just about let me do.

The one on the left has a Steel Fist head, the one in the middle has a plastic Perry head, and the one on the right has a head from a metal Perry man-at-arms.

You'll also notice I sculpted some reins on the righthand one. Some of the Steel Fist hands actually are holding reins over the top of the saddle, a feature the Perrys do not have. So on this particular one I felt they needed to be joined up to the plastic horse reins.

And then I put some metal Perry riders on the Steel Fist horses. The metal riders have the rear part of the saddle sculpted on, but not the front part - you can see I've started making a new one for one of them, but haven't got round to the other two.
(If you wanted to put plastic Perry riders on them you'd have to sculpt both the front and back part of the saddle)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Steel Fist / Perry cavalry conversions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
Goodly work sir!

Have you got any shots of the Perry and Steel Fist men at arms on the 'mixed' horses?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
Nice work!
I ran into the same issue with getting the knights to hold their lances! Had to resort to pliers and hoping I didn't snap the thumbs off! The reins are definitely a nice feature in the sculpts though! Thanks for posting the analysis

Offline Sculptorton

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:52 PM »
Nice work! It’s good to see them used with perry stuff!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
great stuff Charlie. How comes you don't post this in your ongoing log anymore. I like looking back at your work now and then too and see where you come from and the great stuff you have already done.

Your recent conversions are very cool additions to all of it.

You have a bunch of unique looking figures again, curious to see them all painted up!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »
great stuff Charlie. How comes you don't post this in your ongoing log anymore. I like looking back at your work now and then too and see where you come from and the great stuff you have already done.

I can't answer for Charlie but I feel that there's been a general trend in social media, which I'm sure you've noticed, which has moved much more towards a kind of soundbite style of posting. This is really unfortunate as this has created a move away from 'conversation' (and even debate in some instances). I'm going to keep my blogs going all the same. Just having a record of what you've achieved and some appreciation of that is valuable.

Perhaps exemplified when I asked  a serious question military on a certain social media site. There was no feedback except for several hundred 'likes'  o_o

Sorry for going OT, but it's a subject very close to my heart.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:15:27 PM by Atheling »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:46:39 PM »
I can't answer for Charlie but I feel that there's been a general trend in social media, which I'm sure you've noticed, which has moved much more towards a kind of soundbite style of posting. This is really unfortunate as this has created a move away from 'conversation' (and even debate in some instances). I'm going to keep my blogs going all the same. Just having a record of what you've achieved and some appreciation of that is valuable.

Perhaps exemplified when I asked  a serious question military on a certain social media site. There was no feedback except for several hundred 'likes'  o_o

Sorry for going OT, but it's a subject very close to my heart.

Have faith, I have not abandoned traditional forums and blogs!

I've got a long-running 'log' on this forum. I generally just post finished units there - this and my previous thread with my pikeman conversions are more just quick ideas for conversions I wanted to share. They will appear on the proper thread when they are painted ;)
There will be new post on the thread soon, look out for it if you like massed pikes.

Forums (this one in particular) are ALWAYS going to be the first port of call for  me, because as you say they let us have proper conversations, and the threads can be found and re-read years later.

I am a big fan of wargames blogs - my favourites are Stuart's (Army Royal), Simon's (Je Lay Emprins) and Oli's (Camisado). Watching such brilliant projects in my favourite wargaming eras/genres coming together post by post is what inspired me to return to this hobby a few years ago. I haven't made one myself, I'm happy with my thread on this forum for now. However I do plan to start a blog / website sometime soon - it will be more of a permanent gallery of my entire project, complete with articles and stuff (battle reports, historical research, my own ruleset).... And I suppose the updates will be posted here and duplicated on the blog section of the website.

As for facebook.... I only recently joined it for wargaming purposes. I'm glad I did, as I see lots of great stuff I wouldn't otherwise. Mostly on the Saxon Dog page. However it definitely has its flaws. Things disappear too quickly. It's too cluttered. When I post stuff there, I instantly get lots of reactions.... but as you say it's mostly just 'likes'. Everyone appreciates a good comment don't they? I do check it every day though, and most days there is something interesting to see. But I would hate it to be the only format for online wargaming discussions.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
Have faith, I have not abandoned traditional forums and blogs

Forums (this one in particular) are ALWAYS going to be the first port of call for  me, because as you say they let us have proper conversations, and the threads can be found and re-read years later.!

Good man! Since the demise of the Steve Dean Forum, the ye olde WAB forum I think that as far as historical (at least for me) wargaming LAF is one, if not the only last bastion left. Kudos to all who run and maintain the forum!

I am a big fan of wargames blogs - my favourites are Stuart's (Army Royal), Simon's (Je Lay Emprins) and Oli's (Camisado).

Three of my many favourites too :)

As for facebook.... I only recently joined it for wargaming purposes. I'm glad I did, as I see lots of great stuff I wouldn't otherwise. Mostly on the Saxon Dog page. However it definitely has its flaws. Things disappear too quickly. It's too cluttered. When I post stuff there, I instantly get lots of reactions.... but as you say it's mostly just 'likes'. Everyone appreciates a good comment don't they? I do check it every day though, and most days there is something interesting to see. But I would hate it to be the only format for online wargaming discussions.

I use it, more then I should. It does drive me nuts though. I once got accused of being a racist for posting up a picture of Fred Burnaby (the free Perry mini with their NWF Brits box sets) on a Colonial Wargaming FB page  lol.  For a wee while I was in fear of getting doxed!!

Offline Ronin1978

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »
Non vedo l'ora di vedere il tuo blog Charlie, mi piace molto il tuo stile di pittura molto realistico e le tue soluzioni di imbasettamento e conversione delle miniature .

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
Non vedo l'ora di vedere il tuo blog Charlie, mi piace molto il tuo stile di pittura molto realistico e le tue soluzioni di imbasettamento e conversione delle miniature .

I hope you don't mind? Courtesy of Google Translate:

I can't wait to see your blog Charlie, I really like your very realistic painting style and your basing and miniature conversion solutions.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:17 PM »
Have faith, I have not abandoned traditional forums and blogs!

I've got a long-running 'log' on this forum. I generally just post finished units there - this and my previous thread with my pikeman conversions are more just quick ideas for conversions I wanted to share. They will appear on the proper thread when they are painted ;)
There will be new post on the thread soon, look out for it if you like massed pikes.

Forums (this one in particular) are ALWAYS going to be the first port of call for  me, because as you say they let us have proper conversations, and the threads can be found and re-read years later.

I am a big fan of wargames blogs - my favourites are Stuart's (Army Royal), Simon's (Je Lay Emprins) and Oli's (Camisado). Watching such brilliant projects in my favourite wargaming eras/genres coming together post by post is what inspired me to return to this hobby a few years ago. I haven't made one myself, I'm happy with my thread on this forum for now. However I do plan to start a blog / website sometime soon - it will be more of a permanent gallery of my entire project, complete with articles and stuff (battle reports, historical research, my own ruleset).... And I suppose the updates will be posted here and duplicated on the blog section of the website.

I have found you on the facebooks Charlie... I think i randomly gave you a friend invite thinking you'd be able to figure out it was me since i post my pictures there too.
I did not know the Camisado blog yet... The other two I follow, there are probably a few really good ones out there I don't know about yet...do send some my way if you have a moment. Blogs are cool, I have one myself and even though I dont update it nearly as neatly or as frequent as some of the ones you mentioned it is a nice place to keep track of the work I do.
Like I said, cant wait to see the painted versions and now also not for you to start a blog!