Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Plancenoit 1815. 28mm Shako II.  (Read 895 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
Plancenoit 1815. 28mm Shako II.
« on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
My first game of 2020 was a Saturday game at New Buckenham, the fight for Plancenoit in June 1815. The game was played with 28mm figures using the Shako II ruleset.

I was given command of half of the 15th and 13th brigades on the Prussian right flank. The 15th led with the 13th in support.

Altogether we had eighteen battalions of infantry and one regiment of cavalry. Opposing us we had one weakish french infantry division and two cavalry divisions. Our objective was to capture the crossroads to our front and if possible stop French reinforcements from being able to concentrate on Plancenoit itself.

The other two Prussian commanders on the left were tasked with assaulting Plancenoit and the nearer of two fortified farmhouses.

On our flank we decided to advance as fast as possible in column to take the crossroads and hope our one regiment of cavalry could secure our flank against the greater number of french horsemen.
My lead units suffered heavily from the french artillery defending the crossroads and a couple were lost before I was able to assault and overrun the guns. Our battalions on the right flank were more concerned with the growing cavalry threat.

Meanwhile over on the left the fighting around Plancenoit and the forward farm was bloody.
The centre of Plancenoit changed hands a few times while the forward farm remained steadfastly in french hands.

Remarkably our infantry on the right managed to hold off the french cavalry despite taking heavy casualties and losing some battalions.

The battle however was to be decided on the left with the arrival of elements of the French Young Guard and Imperial Guard chasseurs and grenadiers who stormed into Plancenoit and ejected the stout Prussian defenders for the final time.

At this point we decided to call the game with Plancenoit still in French hands and no obvious way for the Prussians to make any more gains.

More on this game at my Blog Jabba's Wargaming

Tony.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:02:08 PM by Jabba »

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
Re: Plancenoit 1815. 28mm Shako II.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
Lovely table and figures. Bravo, sir.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:34:28 AM »
Lovely table and figures. Bravo, sir.

Many thanks.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »
Very nice - Shako is a very good set of rules (although I prefer v1 to v2; more brutal in v1 and they ditched the SYW mods and the very nice 'large battle' set in v2)

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
Looks like a very nice game! What triggered the arrival of the French guard? Was it a turn number of a trip wire line for the Prussians?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
Very nice - Shako is a very good set of rules (although I prefer v1 to v2; more brutal in v1 and they ditched the SYW mods and the very nice 'large battle' set in v2)

Thanks.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
Looks like a very nice game! What triggered the arrival of the French guard? Was it a turn number of a trip wire line for the Prussians?

Thanks you, if i remember correctly it was a dice roll after a set number of turns.