Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 619
Total: 626

Recent

Author Topic: New Clockwork soldiers  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Cotton Eyed Joe

• Librarian
New Clockwork soldiers
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:29:48 PM »
Hi Folks,
Working on a new release, Victorian Clockwork soldiers fueled by coal. I love the smoke stacks but wonder what you folks might think..Too weird??
Thanks for looking..Joe

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Re: New Clockwork soldiers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:18:20 AM »
My thoughts...

Once you say ‘clockwork’ I assume it’s a windup soldier with a key on its back not steam driven.

I like most of the figure. Two parts don’t work for me; the wooden backpack is out of theme and re the head lose the gas mask as an automaton doesn’t need one and the smoke stack is lost being the same diameter as the head.

:)

Oh and Boilerplate is a classic!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:41:17 AM »
I'm a big fan of steampunk but prefer it to be mildly plausible.  I'm with Captain Darling on this one, and I'd stick to fully clockwork with no smoke stack head.

If steam is the way to go how would it work?  You'd need a supply of coal, a supply of water, a boiler etc not much space on a man sized figure for any of that.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Cotton Eyed Joe

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:18:34 AM »
My thoughts...

Once you say ‘clockwork’ I assume it’s a windup soldier with a key on its back not steam driven.

I like most of the figure. Two parts don’t work for me; the wooden backpack is out of theme and re the head lose the gas mask as an automaton doesn’t need one and the smoke stack is lost being the same diameter as the head.

:)

Oh and Boilerplate is a classic!

Very fair and thank you for the input. I was lazy after all the imagery cut and paste and should have called them Steam Powered Russian Grenadiers.

The face that looks like a gas mask is actually period stove parts. Their slot for eyes is actually a glass slot to see the flames in their stove heads. The wooden backpack is actually full of coal. Theory is they each have a small coal bunker with them. A metal version of the backpack with a rolled canvas top showing coal and perhaps a tiny trowel sticking out of it could be cool.

I had a concept in my head of Russian automatons with their great hats actually being smoke stacks would not go away. There is no slim reason they would work. Maybe they grind pixie bones to powder and take it like snuff..I went on a limb with the chain-mail great coat as well...

Joe     

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:54:26 AM »
Hello Joe,

This sounds better and keep the water bucket...

‘A metal version of the backpack with a rolled canvas top showing coal and perhaps a tiny trowel sticking out of it could be cool.’

Re the head to really ID it as Russian (now I know that) use a metal grill face with a Pavlov Rgt Mitre cap and a round smoke stack coming out of the back of the cap with one of the triangular caps on the top (that identifies it straight away)...

Cheers!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 10:19:21 PM »
Interesting concept.  But why the chainmail ?  Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for a manufacturer to have used sheetmetal ?  And chainmail doesn't look very VSF/Diesel Punk.

Offline Cotton Eyed Joe

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 04:38:22 AM »

The idea was to have the great coat have a fabric like flow to it.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »
can't see the images???

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »
can't see the images???

Me neither?