Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 7TV or Galactic Heroes?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
7TV or Galactic Heroes?
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
So I made the mistake of reading through some old Flash Gordon strips and am now looking at picking up some miniatures to do some games. I suspect that I will be jumping onboard the Crooked Dice Pulp Sci-fi KS as a late pledge to pick up some minis. I may also use some of the figs from Hydra Miniatures. Not sure yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the 7TV and the Galatic Heroes rules to give a brief overview of how well these rules work to give a good 'Flash Gordon' feel to the games?

Also, how well do the various cards add to the game when playing 7TV? FFG and GW have made me a little skittish when it comes to games that have a lot of additional cards.

TIA

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: 7TV or Galactic Heroes?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
Galactic Heroes is exactly what I use for my Retro sci-fi games. I have a mix of Hydra Miniatures, Killer B and CP Models figures making up some very Flash Gordon style crews. FfoL Galactic Heroes makes it very easy to create themed crews for Pulp sci-fi and the gameplay is, in my opinion, exactly what you want for that type of game. It's fast paced, cinematic and fun. The cards are used for activation so a standard deck of playing cards will suffice, but the genre cards have the special rules written on them, which is good as a memory sid. And they're just nice to have. For what the rules cost, you can't really go wrong.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »
As the author I'm a bit biased, but GH all the way. As Elk said, you don't need special cards, just a plain old card deck if you want. There are plenty of reviews and game play around the web. And as far as cost, $7 for a pdf is cheaper than most lunches at a fast food place. If you like them, buy the printed copy and cards from the Wiley Games store or Oshiro modelterrain in the UK.
Also, we're about ready too release our Starfighter! game, which ties nicely into the game.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
So I made the mistake of reading through some old Flash Gordon strips and am now looking at picking up some miniatures to do some games. I suspect that I will be jumping onboard the Crooked Dice Pulp Sci-fi KS as a late pledge to pick up some minis. I may also use some of the figs from Hydra Miniatures. Not sure yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the 7TV and the Galatic Heroes rules to give a brief overview of how well these rules work to give a good 'Flash Gordon' feel to the games?

Also, how well do the various cards add to the game when playing 7TV? FFG and GW have made me a little skittish when it comes to games that have a lot of additional cards.

TIA

Have a look at Cold War miniatures. Another great retro Sci-Fi range. You could add Pulp Alley to that list too. A very enjoyable set of rules that will handle an Pulp material perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:34:22 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:56 PM »
Have a look at Cold War miniatures. Another great retro Sci-Fi range.

Very nice. Thanks for the tip

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
I would go 7TV.

There was a question about cards.

The character and equipment cards are just to make life easier.

The Event cards handle the turns.
You can have a look here:
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/7tv-2nd-edition-rules-cards/

The Star Wars PDF is here: http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/star-wars-programme-guide-pdf/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:39:33 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 09:15:07 PM »
I would go 7TV.

There was a question about cards.

The character and equipment cards are just to make life easier.

So they are informational and for scenario and turn info? Not like an FFG game where there are cards out for every model?

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 11:21:37 PM »
FFoL would be my choice.

Once you know the system you can use it for other periods with little modifications (or buy the period supplements).

It's a very flexible and adaptable system.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 12:11:08 AM »
As the author I'm a bit biased, but GH all the way. As Elk said, you don't need special cards, just a plain old card deck if you want. There are plenty of reviews and game play around the web. And as far as cost, $7 for a pdf is cheaper than most lunches at a fast food place. If you like them, buy the printed copy and cards from the Wiley Games store or Oshiro modelterrain in the UK.
Also, we're about ready too release our Starfighter! game, which ties nicely into the game.

Obviously the Baron is clearly mistaken. 7TV forever! Yours, The Other Author... I’ll get me coat.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
My choice would be FFol GH as well.

You seem to have a thing about cards! lol

The cards in this game are there for figure activation only and you can use a standard deck if you don't wish to purchase the themed deck.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:49:57 PM »
Obviously the Baron is clearly mistaken. 7TV forever! Yours, The Other Author... I’ll get me coat.

That would have been an opportune moment to draw attention to your recent Pulp sci-fi kickstarter:

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-category/psfks/page/2/

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
I think both sets are excellent, just with a slightly different flavour. The only glaring weakness I find with Galactic Heroes is that it really doesn't work for solo games (the key to the whole system is each player having a hand of cards from which to play). This might not be an issue for you, but is worth noting. On that score 7TV would probably work more smoothly. Even better would be Pulp Alley, which has quite an elegant system for solo play. Again, maybe not of any concern to you.

Good luck with your search!

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »
Galactic Heroes.. Some things I really appreciate about the rules; It can handle almost as many players as you can throw at it.. 2, 3, 4... 8? yep! You can easily 'shape' the type of game you want by limiting, adding, or restricting "traits". It's comprehensive yet compact.. I even use it as an RPG. Solid and easy framework for rules tinkering.

A couple of opportunities to be great.. 'stealth' needs some work, combat can be swingy, layout and organization could be better - but I'm not a fan of writing rules in a conversational style anyway.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
If it helps, there is a "Let's Play" video which has just become available, demonstrating 7TV Pulp. It should give you a reasonable idea of how it plays.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »
If it helps, there is a "Let's Play" video which has just become available, demonstrating 7TV Pulp. It should give you a reasonable idea of how it plays.

Well that was quite timely