Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question about terrain in Central Italy/Samnium (Samnite Wars)  (Read 904 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Question about terrain in Central Italy/Samnium (Samnite Wars)
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »
Ok, so I'm painting up early Republican Romans and will be doing Samnites to oppose them (for Clash of Spears) and I was wondering what colours you all think would be best for the bases assuming we're fighting in campaign season in central Italy - normally I use sand painted over with Foundry Peaty Brown Shade and dry brushed with GW Screaming skull, with various grassy tufts added but that's quite a dark 'Western Europe' kind of effect, which I'm not sure is right. What would you use?

I'm also considering buying a 6 x 4 gaming mat for it. The typical grassy ones look too 'green' and the arid ones look too 'desert' - maybe I need more of a 'steppe' effect (slightly more arid grass) which might be more appropriate? For example:
https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/steppe/26343-4ft-x-6ft-steppe-theme-cloth-games-mat?search_query=steppe&results=119

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline markw

• Librarian
Re: Question about terrain in Central Italy/Samnium (Samnite Wars)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
Sounds like you have it covered with what you are currently using.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 02:37:34 PM »
Thanks, guys...especially for the pics link - dunno why I didn't do that myself! . 
It is greener than I imagined... Logical I suppose, as much of it must be decent farming land to make it worth fighting over!! Dunno why I thought it would be more arid...
I still think I might go for a slightly lighter base colour as Peaty Brown Shade is pretty dark... Perhaps something like the GW Steel Legion Drab dry brushed with the Screaming skull...

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:26:37 PM »
Central Italy is quite green, the arid areas tend to be in Sicily and Calabria (and depends on the season and year, and altitude).  Probably in ancient times the area was even greener because it was more intensely cultivated than now. Worth to remember that Tuscany is central Italy, as Latium and people from the other side of the channel go there for holidays...  o_o

One thing you can see around are craggy hills (often site of pre-roman settlements) that looked a little more arid.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
One thing you can see around are craggy hills (often site of pre-roman settlements) that looked a little more arid.

Yeah I have quite a lot of rocky outcrops in my collection so they'll come in handy...