Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 501
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A European Storehouse - a 'how-to' article in Miniature Wargames 442  (Read 1776 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Miniature Wargames issue 442 has a new how-to article written by me showing how I built a small European Storehouse from easily sources material.

The article details how I used cardboard, card, egg box carton card and some DAS modelling clay to build this model.

This is the first of what I would hope will become a series of articles/tutorials showing how to build simple and practical wargame terrain or structures using the most ordinary of household materials and scrap or waste.

I have throughout the builds used these simple rules;

1 - the model should be constructed from everyday materials easily sourced and in most cases free of charge or at least cheap.

2 - The model should be generic and of use for more than just one genre or game system.

3 - The model should be robust enough for wargame club use.

4 - The model should be built to a good gaming standard and a good representation of what it reports to be.

5 - The model should fit in an imaginary 6 inch x 6 inch x 6 inch box. For more information see the Blog.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2020/01/miniature-wargames-magazine-issue-442.html

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
Re: A European Storehouse - a 'how-to' article in Miniature Wargames 442
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:55:00 PM »
I have had great success making buildings your way, except for one detail. How do you keep the newspaper from buckling at the edges after you have affixed it and glued it down.  I have tried three different methods to keep the bubbles from appearing but nothing seems to work.  I could use some help.

Offline the_inquisition!

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
I've read it - good article!  :-*

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
This looks like a nice little build. The design principles you're written out are really useful, too.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:51:38 PM »
"How do you keep the newspaper from buckling at the edges after you have affixed it and glued it down.  I have tried three different methods to keep the bubbles from appearing but nothing seems to work.  I could use some help."

Starting with plain cardboard, I paint on some un-diluted PVA glue (just enough to give a light coating).

I then add torn strips over the glue. (these range from 25mm x 25mm to large A5 sized sheets depending on what I am covering.

Then another layer of PVA glue applied with a brush.

And repeat - I think at least two layers but up to five.

When going around the corners of the buildings, I glue one flat edge first - then fold the torn newspaper around the edge pulling it tight with a large paint brush (with PVA glue on it).

I find that the torn newspaper can lift in some cases, but this can be glued back down with more PVA glue.

I hope that this helps.

Tony

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »
Tony
Thank you for your explanation.  Your response sounds just like what I am already doing.  However, I have mostly used cut newspaper strips, I wonder if that is the problem.  Maybe the feathered edge holds down better than the cut?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
"However, I have mostly used cut newspaper strips, I wonder if that is the problem.  Maybe the feathered edge holds down better than the cut?"

I use torn as the edges don't show up as much when painted over - or at least they look more natural rather than uniform.

Tony

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »

I have updated the original Blog post with some more details and the simple philosophy behind these simple, practical and robust pieces of terrain. For more information see the blog;

https://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2020/01/practical-and-simple-wargame-terrain.html

Tony

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
That is an excellent set of basic rules for gaming terrain, and a nice usable little building.

You're a continuing inspiration to many of us!

Any chance of e-book or PDF editions of your growing library of terrain books? It would let those of us out in the distant colonies enjoy them without onerous S&H, and let you keep the older books "in print", as it were.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:24 PM »
"Any chance of e-book or PDF editions of your growing library of terrain books? It would let those of us out in the distant colonies enjoy them without onerous S&H, and let you keep the older books "in print", as it were."

You read it here first.....

I am looking at both a re-print and an electronic edition of the earlier books. This is not a quick fix, but something that MAY happen in 2020. I will post details on the Blog should there be any developments.

Tony

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »
You read it here first.....

I am looking at both a re-print and an electronic edition of the earlier books. This is not a quick fix, but something that MAY happen in 2020. I will post details on the Blog should there be any developments.

Tony

Excellent news, please keep us posted. I've been buying more books in e-book or PDF format, it's great for reference material and the instant access + lack of S&H is a nice bonus.