Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord becoming the next GW?  (Read 18795 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord becoming the next GW?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
Imho Warlord is asking people to pick up their items during clearance sales. Why invest in a game/miniatures we know it'll be forgotten/shelved/discontinued in about 18 months' time?

None of their clearance stuff has gone oop afaik.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
I quite like Walord. I don't play many of their games but I do enjoy Bolt Action. And their half price sprue sales seems very decent as well. I've also never had poor service from them, has always seemed very professional.

I don't know enough about their business practices to comment on those.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 04:59:10 AM »
Both GW and Warlord charge more for their new products in the US than the UK.  Between 10-15% for Warlord and up to 30% for GW (higher cost than a straight conversion to dollars from the pound). 

The usual defense of this is that a conversion price is "fixed" which is a weak defense when the rate hasn't been that high in years. I certainly can understand monthly or even quarterly changes but years? I am perhaps being cynical but I bet if the currency spot price went the other way sharply the website conversion rates would be update within days.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 06:50:38 AM »
Both GW and Warlord charge more for their new products in the US than the UK.  Between 10-15% for Warlord and up to 30% for GW (higher cost than a straight conversion to dollars from the pound). 

The usual defense of this is that a conversion price is "fixed" which is a weak defense when the rate hasn't been that high in years. I certainly can understand monthly or even quarterly changes but years? I am perhaps being cynical but I bet if the currency spot price went the other way sharply the website conversion rates would be update within days.

Yep. I can well imagine. This is what happens to the wargames industry when more corporate thinking 'heads' get cement themselves into what was essentially a cottage industry.

I guess there are positives and negatives.... with some companies the negatives outweigh the positives.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 08:59:57 AM »
I'm pretty happy with Warlord. I've only bought bits and pieces (sold off my antares stuff though) but the Celt and ancient stuff they do is nice. I've bought a number of their dogs and some other germanic minis as they fit nice with Frostgrave.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
Even given that the top brass of their staff mostly come from GW?
As far as how the businesses operate, yes.
Imho Warlord is asking people to pick up their items during clearance sales. Why invest in a game/miniatures we know it'll be forgotten/shelved/discontinued in about 18 months' time?
Bolt Action is a very popular game and they regularly offer sales on different kits. Not sure about the Antares game though: my suspicion is it has a small but loyal following, possibly not enough to sustain it over the long term.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »

Pity the poor gamers in Australia and New Zealand. Those guys always seem to have to pay through the nose for stuff.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »

There are also import costs, since GW no longer has a US factory, and artificial demand and supply, due to small production runs - Necromunda terrain boards, for instance.

I expect this thread to be moved and/or locked, due to the potential for causing a disturbance. :-I

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 07:35:15 PM »
I expect this thread to be moved and/or locked, due to the potential for causing a disturbance. :-I

So far people have been behaving themselves overall, and I would kindly ask you to do the same and not instigate/provoke/jinx it (delete as applicable).

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 12:18:52 AM »
So far people have been behaving themselves overall, and I would kindly ask you to do the same and not instigate/provoke/jinx it (delete as applicable).
I'm not a soap opera character, like Alexis Colby, so why would you think there will be instigation/provocation/jinxing? Just being a realist...

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 03:09:59 AM »
I have noticed their large price increase over the last year, used to be 20 for a box now up to 26/28 which is a jump for little old me in NZ
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 04:06:08 AM »
There are also import costs, since GW no longer has a US factory, and artificial demand and supply, due to small production runs - Necromunda terrain boards, for instance.
I would buy this argument more for Warlord than GW.  They have a large number of stores in the US.  When you ship containers full of items, the cost is really not that high per unit no matter how limited the run.  Especially not 30% as some of the SOB are.  I love the models but I will wait until they appear on ebay for cheap instead of buying new.

I did recently complain to Warlord support about the conversion rate. Their response was that they charge slightly higher prices in the US - it is not a mistake in currency exchange.  Could be due to import costs as you suggest or because they think the market will bear it.  It was about 10% more for Dredd but I wanted the models so I chose to pay it.  Guess that is my threshold.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:01 AM »
I did recently complain to Warlord support about the conversion rate. Their response was that they charge slightly higher prices in the US - it is not a mistake in currency exchange.  Could be due to import costs as you suggest or because they think the market will bear it.  It was about 10% more for Dredd but I wanted the models so I chose to pay it.  Guess that is my threshold.

My understanding is that GW prices the way they do to deal with currency fluctuations. They may also be factoring in the different currency costs of shipping in other countries.

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:47 AM »
Even given that the top brass of their staff mostly come from GW?

I would repeat my comment about which GW...

You can come from a different era of Games Workshop, and still have the fact that you worked for them thrown in your face - usually for no other reason than you have adjusted prices to be able to continue operating as a profitable business.
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »
I liked them in the past. Service was impeccable but I will not buy from them anymore. The change of the new site means that you have to buy in your local currency, where they have inflated the exchange rates. Its a scam  >:(