Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:02:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686543
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord becoming the next GW?  (Read 18787 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord becoming the next GW?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »
If I have a complaint against Warlord is that they buy ranges, repack them and that is it! No new models, no support, no nothing. That is frustrating.

But no, I don't think they are anything alike Games Workshop.

GW is a company run as a profitable business, that exploits a particular niche and it is focused in their own products/franchise. They have created a brand, an universe, pay for professional writers to write novels set in those universes, market products related to them and only them, and don't give a damm about what their competition is doing. If GW would have go Warlords' way, they would have bought Infinity, for example, and either leave it to die a slow death or make it the third big game in their franchises.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »
I liked them in the past. Service was impeccable but I will not buy from them anymore. The change of the new site means that you have to buy in your local currency, where they have inflated the exchange rates. Its a scam  >:(

Most buisnesses do this, stop being salty you cant have things dirt cheap.

As for Antares mentioned earlier afaik the big issue with it was they took too damn long to get the plastics out. By the time they did 40k 8th was here and gazumped them. Now they've got a slow-ish franchise with lots of expensive plastics and a reluctance to dump them. Imo the rules need a revamp, the models are fine, the setting is somewhat distinct but the "Bolt Action in space with more complicated rules" is a no go

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »
My personal experiences purchasing direct from Warlord Games have always been fairly positive. The orders get posted relatively quickly and their customer service has been acceptable. These days I tend not to buy much from Warlord Games, however. I think their sculpts are really hit or miss, though I have not looked at their newest plastic releases. In general I tend to prefer other ranges for my projects, each of which comes with its own positives and negatives. A lot of people both in this thread and in the gaming community in general bemoan Warlord Games' practice of buying ranges and sitting on them while not distributing them. I think this is a fair criticism, and it is certainly something that I dislike as well. On the other hand they have many widely distributed ranges of miniatures and games that make is accessible for people to participate in this hobby. In general I am pretty much indifferent to Warlord Games.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »

Well, I am not asking for dirt cheap. I just do not understand why I should pay 15% more just because they force me to pay in another currency...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
Well, I am not asking for dirt cheap. I just do not understand why I should pay 15% more just because they force me to pay in another currency...

Is it more than the MSRP at your local store?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »
There is no local store...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:42 PM »
There is no local store...

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if there was one it would have the same prices as the online store

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:22 PM »

I'm not claiming to know exactly here but I think there are possibly good reasons. Just a quick look about means that they have to complete export forms for each order shipping outside of the UK if the order is packed and sent from the UK. May not sound like a lot, but the chances are it requires more time than just using a standard delivery service which a lot of big companies use where they print a label, stick it in a standardised box and then in a sack and the mail collect it and get it on it's way.

If it's anything like sending at the post office you have to give info on the contents - what they are, their value etc.

On top of that there will be the cost of exchanging currency, even digitally. If the money is coming from outside the UK, I'm not sure if you pay in £'s whether there may be an issue in terms of money passing borders electronically etc. Someone better knowledgeable than me may know.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2020, 03:26:10 AM »
Damn it, you’ve put me off Warlord :( I was planning on ordering the Judge Dredd lawmaster set. 15 pounds Is about $26 Canadian at current exchange. The new web site is asking for $33. That’s a big jump

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2020, 05:19:44 AM »
My shipment arrived today via UPS.  It was shipped directly from the UK to the US. All logistics handled by UPS with no customs forms attached. Basically the additional cost I paid over the UK price, paid for the "free" shipping from the UK.  They should just add an additional cost for international shipping via UPS rather than this mystery surcharge.   

Shipped the 20th and arrived the 22.  Definitely faster than the normal British/US international mail services I have seen lately.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:50 AM »
I'm not claiming to know exactly here but I think there are possibly good reasons. Just a quick look about means that they have to complete export forms for each order shipping outside of the UK if the order is packed and sent from the UK. May not sound like a lot, but the chances are it requires more time than just using a standard delivery service which a lot of big companies use where they print a label, stick it in a standardised box and then in a sack and the mail collect it and get it on it's way.

If it's anything like sending at the post office you have to give info on the contents - what they are, their value etc.

On top of that there will be the cost of exchanging currency, even digitally. If the money is coming from outside the UK, I'm not sure if you pay in £'s whether there may be an issue in terms of money passing borders electronically etc. Someone better knowledgeable than me may know.

There are no export forms within the EU and I pay in GBP. It is still a scam in my book...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2020, 10:06:46 PM »
I'm not sure I can make sense of what you've said then?

You live in the EU, pay in £ but get charged 15% more?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 01:27:35 AM »
I'm not sure I can make sense of what you've said then?

You live in the EU, pay in £ but get charged 15% more?

Correct, they charge me in SEK because I live in Sweden at an exchange rate 15% higher than the market rate

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2020, 02:40:58 AM »

I have never seen any other sites that automatically adjust the currency to your ip and you have no option to change to another.

When the site was Pounds or USD the USD prices were WAY higher than the Pounds.

A plastic sprue is a plastic sprue.  Whether it is from Tamiya, Bandai, Monogram, GW, Warlord or any other maker. 

Desired profit margin is the determining factor.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 02:45:46 AM »
Desired profit margin is the determining factor.

Or they may be matching local MSRP. Since no-one knows for sure it seems odd to assume some sort of cynical commercial motive