Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Landsknecht army  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Landsknecht army
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »
I have decided to devote the first half of 2020 to painting my renaissance miniatures. A few years back I bought quite a lot of Landsknechts, and even though many were painting, most were not.

I have started out with a unit of landsknechts from Pro Glory plastic. I lot of people don't like them and I must admit that the box could definitely have been a lot better. That being said they are still a cheap way to get started and I had the box lying around anyway.

I decided to try out GW´s new contrast paints. Except for the metal bits. Everything is done using these. I must admit that I am quite pleased with the result. To hole thing took me a little over a week to finish including assembling whichs is very fast for my standards. I wont be using them exclusively but definitely on select units. 

Cheers
Erik

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:26:20 AM by Erik »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Landsknechtarmy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
They look great, the contrast paints have been used expertly, I've seen mixed results but these exemplify how to use them well

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Landsknecht army
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
Quite a good result for the contrast paints.

Have you got any close ups of the unit?

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Quite a good result for the contrast paints.

Have you got any close ups of the unit?

How much closer do you want to get than the pictures already posted!?

I think they look great. There is no doubt that one can achieve very good and fast results with these contrast paints.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »
How much closer do you want to get than the pictures already posted!?

I think they look great. There is no doubt that one can achieve very good and fast results with these contrast paints.

Point taken.

I wasn't being critical. I'm just interested in techniques. always have been since I started painting :)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Seen some very mixed results with contrast paints, these are some of the best I have seen with the colours. Browns and faces spot on, greens not so.

Should get a good looking army in quick time, nicely done.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
These turned out very well, I think. Silly question : did you add extra shading on the figures or was everything achieved with just one layer of contrast paint ?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Fantastic unit.  With this for a start for 2020, am really looking forward to seeing the rest of your army develop.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
Great start, looking forward to seeing more painted up.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 09:08:52 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Arthur: everything is done with one layer of contrast over white undercoat. (except the metal).

Another great thing about contrast paints is that they are really easy to use, as they are so thinned down. I dont usually thin my paints, as I find many have to little picment as it is, but the contrast paints dont have that problem. A am hoping that at some point I will be able to use both contrast paints and regular paint on the same model, but for now I am concentrating on getting to know the contrast paints.

I am working on some handgunners and crossbowmen, also from Pro Glory plastic and again just using contrast paint. 

cheers
Erik

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
great looking set of figures.

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
wow, love the look of these, started using contrast paints myself and it is the way to go for painting
an army in quick time

Brian

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Work on my landsknechts army continuous. I have spent the last two weeks painting arquebusiers and crossbowmen. The core consists again of Pro Glory, but this time argumented with some Perrys and a few miniatures from a landsknecht kickstarter I joined a few years back. Once again I have only used contrast paints.

I must admit that painting so many landsknecht in such a short time really challenges your creativity in terms of finding out new patterns for their clothing. I plan to do some artillery pieces over the next couple of weeks to take a break from the flachy gits. 

I apologize for the pictures. It was dark when I finished but it won’t be any better when I get home from work tomorrow, so it was this or wait until next weekend. 

Cheers
Erik

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
I really like the effect you have achieved with the contrast paints.  I might try my hand with them.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 09:15:45 PM »
Fantastic job, Erik!

Which contrast paints did you use?  I might give it a try with my Anno 1666 minis.

Yours,

--Erik (also!)