Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:08:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What figures for the Second Crusade?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
What figures for the Second Crusade?
« on: January 19, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Hi Chaps,
I have been trying out various frames from ebay to help me decide how to build a Lion Rampant army for the second crusade or Barons war... so far I have had mixed results. The Fireforge frame had "foot knights" with 2 handed swords which seemed odd so I had to convert most of them. The Conquest mounted knights were OK and will work but I am yet to find some foot soldiers that are not over armoured... I did buy the French Agincourt infantry box but alas they are too late.
Does anyone produce 12th 13th century plastics? Other than what I have come across it seems I am doomed to return to metals to complete my little armies.
On the plus side the Perry French seem a little larger than the Wars of the Roses range (?). I have a unit of crossbowmen painted and based and it could be the accidental start of an army-does anyone else think that these figures are a little bulkier?
Anyway any advice on assembling a Christian army using plastic would be very helpful... if anyone has built a muslim army the manufacturers used would be really helpful as well.
Thanks guys.

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
Re: What figures for the Second Crusade?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »
The Islamic armies are easy enough. Gripping beast plastics do about 3 sets that cover the majority of figures you might need.
On the Christian side it is more difficult. I think you might have to resort to some kit bashing, with bodies and heads from different era.
Best,
LS :)
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
At the moment no one of any note produces miniatures for the Third Crusade exept one, which I'm going to save you a load of hassle and heartache by not mentioning! I think anyone reading this, in the know, will understand who I'm referring to.

If you do a mid 13th Century army then Crusader Miniatures have a great range but they are metals:

Later Crusades Range:
https://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=5&sub=56&page=1

If you decide to go Baltic Crusade then you could supplement the Crusader packs above with their Teutonic Range:
https://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=5&sub=60&page=1

Gripping Beast are another great choice for the Early Crusades:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Early_Crusade_Outremer--category--168.html

And Late Crusades:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Later_Crusades--category--138.html

I'm not really a fan of Fireforge as their plastic ranges seem quite wooden and cartoonish. Ming, having said that, their are some real wizards on this forum that can make them come alive with conversions and paint- see Captain Blood's posts in this section but take a few breaths before you do! ;) :)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice and the links which will be really useful. It seems this is a bit of a gap in the plastic market but I am sure it will be covered in time. Captain Bloods thread is what took me down this rabbit hole in the first place! Now and again this forum produces a thread which is very inspiring and I cannot resist having a go myself.

I will have a look at the ranges available... in the meantime my plkastic mountain is growing.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice and the links which will be really useful. It seems this is a bit of a gap in the plastic market but I am sure it will be covered in time. Captain Bloods thread is what took me down this rabbit hole in the first place! Now and again this forum produces a thread which is very inspiring and I cannot resist having a go myself.

I will have a look at the ranges available... in the meantime my plkastic mountain is growing.

The problem is that there is only a minor difference between the armours of the First, Second and Third Crusades. Although for the nobility the differentials could sometimes be quite distinct.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Black Tree Design does 2nd Crusade miniatures.
I have never had a problem ordering from them, but many others have had issues.

Curtey's/First Corps have some nice Crusaders.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
Also if you mix the odd norman figure with perhaps other type of shield you are ok.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »
Yes your right, its a great period for mixing figures... I have started to make a list of manufacturers-I had forgotten how expensive metals can be! I have been spoilt with all the plastic stuff over the last few years.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:42 AM »
Also if you mix the odd norman figure with perhaps other type of shield you are ok.

There's a bit more to it then that but you're essentially right in terms of cosmetics . There were strides forward in increasing the effectiveness of mail. One thing I would add that would be be visually striking are the changed and improvement in helmet design. Also hauberk/gambeson were more common so your lower status warrior might well have access to them.

Just a few ideas :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
Metal is a better option as Perry Miniatures First Crusaders are fine for the Second Crusade. Their knights will require some tweaking for the Third Crusade, however, such as mail chausses and mittens, removal of shield bosses, a smattering of flat topped helms and face guards etc

Andy Hobday‘s new Barons’ War range is your best bet for early 13th century and have a few knights that would be suitable for the Third Crusade.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:01:01 AM by janner »

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
footsore will sell a pretty cool metal range soon once the kickstarter is all set. Paul Hicks was commisioned to sculpt the miniatures.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
footsore will sell a pretty cool metal range soon once the kickstarter is all set. Paul Hicks was commisioned to sculpt the miniatures.

Too late for the Second Crusade though- but well worth buying if you're into medieval wargaming anyway :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »

These are the Andy Hobday range I referred to above  :)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 12:28:16 AM »
These are the Andy Hobday range I referred to above  :)
Oh right! Sorry

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:54 PM »
Yes your right, its a great period for mixing figures... I have started to make a list of manufacturers-I had forgotten how expensive metals can be! I have been spoilt with all the plastic stuff over the last few years.

This is terrific!

I've been building up to a Siege of Tortosa game for a while now. Would you mind tossing me your list of manufacturers?

Thanks,
L