Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Command Stands  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
Re: ECW Command Stands
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
Re: Military Modelling articles - there are a number of errors in the illustrations, many of which have been subsequently replicated. Stamford's and Meldrum's are two that immediately come to mind. So, as with all things ECW/BCW/W3K, take with a pinch of salt.

If you can find a copy, volume 3 of the Partizan flags and standards series is better source material (bit pricey though).  It replicates the BL MS (Sloane) Add 5247 illustrations, (a contemporaneous 'catalogue' of cavalry cornets, which the British Library, sadly, haven't digitised yet)

Commanders with RoF, their bases could always fly the colonel's colour (sadly, somewhat boringly, usually a plain ensign).  Timmo is, of course, correct that cavalry cornets were used as personal standards rather than RoF ensigns.

The Royals fair better as they had banners - Rupert's banner, captured at Edgehill, was described as being 14 feet long. An illustration appears in the Forlorn Hope Edgehill pamphlet
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: ECW Command Stands
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
Would this have been on a red flag as well? I imagine we don't really know...

Yes, you are right I think, we don't really know. We used red with white lettering for the 'I Will Strive To Serve My Sovereign King' colour.