Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fremitus' "how to" guide to (the digital end of) DIY (round) shield transfers  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
So, figured I'd tack on one thing I was just experimenting with today, when I should've been, like, painting or something  lol

But, following this tutorial on the YouTubes (), I was able to take an ancient coin (in this case, Demetrios I of Baktria) and turn it into a cartoony image to use on shields or standards. I'll attach the "before and after" images below, but basically, the reason I share this here, is that unlike most processes with this stuff where you have to piece together 8 different tutorials to have any hope of a passable result for our wargaming purposes (I mean, see the original post!!!), I was able to do this with really just this one tutorial. Mind you this was my first go at it, so ideally the next one will be better, but I mean... considering I'm going to shrink the image down to 10-15 millimetres and look at it from 3+ feet away most of the time... I think it'll work  :D

"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Can't wait to see the finished shield.
Same process would surely work with original shield/vase designs.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Can't wait to see the finished shield.
Same process would surely work with original shield/vase designs.

It may, or it may not :D I think the process in the last post works best for taking photographs of people (the coin was a bit of a stretch!), as there are actually fewer "necessary" lines than in say, a vase painting. I'm actually currently toying with taking a scene from my favorite vase painting (Herakles stealing the Delphic tripod and running off like a dog from the dinner table lol) and making it into a transfer, but there are just so many more tiny lines and such that it's way more tedious, and I keep going (there's gotta be a better way!). But hey, the more you practice, the better you get, so who knows.