Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 740
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Northfield, Minn Bank Raid  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
The Northfield, Minn Bank Raid
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
Last weekend a friend and I ran a scenario based upon the Northfield Bank Robbery at our local con. It was an amazingly cinematic game with Cole Younger getting shot dead in the street as he tried to escape with a bag of loot. In the end the citizens were able to defend their town well and the bank robbers were lucky if they got away with their lives. The rules were 'The Rules With No Name'.

Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Northfield, Minn Bank Raid
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »
That looks like it was both an excellent game to look at as well as take part in.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »
It was one of the most amazingly entertaining game I've ever been a part of. We had 7 players who were fully engaged the entire time and the ending was a nail biter.

Marc

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:41:54 AM »
Coo-ool!  Like the water bucket on the watering trough, nice touch.  A wagon, some hitched horses by another water trough.  Alas, only one wagon, though (says the crazy dude with an even 100 wheeled conveyances in his Old West insanity).  And no unarmed civilians roaming - or rather hiding - about.  (We won't discuss how many little metal dudes and dudettes await brushwork hiding out in the nearby garage - it might be demoralizing.  But for who!  You or me?   lol)

Looks good - and fun.  Are The Rules With No Name still around?  Off to check.

Checked on the rules.  Nearly 400 freaking-ucking dollars?  No, Hell No, Up Whoever's Arse No, No Monday through Saturday and seven trillion no's on Sunday!  Just who are they kidding?  That surpasses obscene.  By orders of magnitude.  And, yeah, I know - don't buy them, then.  You think?!  Okay, that was the only thing I saw but that was enough to stop me dead in my tracks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:47:14 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:08:21 AM »
Looks like a great game!   :-*

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
Yeah. don't look on Ebay. That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It has been on sale for years. The book can be found, quite reasonably from Foundry.  https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/products/rules-with-no-name

We have played most of the rulesets available, and to be frank all are very very fun because it is just a fun genre to play. TRWNN was kinda settled on in our group as the ruleset of choice, but I could see this game working with most any set.

Coo-ool!  Like the water bucket on the watering trough, nice touch.  A wagon, some hitched horses by another water trough.  Alas, only one wagon, though (says the crazy dude with an even 100 wheeled conveyances in his Old West insanity).  And no unarmed civilians roaming - or rather hiding - about.  (We won't discuss how many little metal dudes and dudettes await brushwork hiding out in the nearby garage - it might be demoralizing.  But for who!  You or me?   lol)

Looks good - and fun.  Are The Rules With No Name still around?  Off to check.

Checked on the rules.  Nearly 400 freaking-ucking dollars?  No, Hell No, Up Whoever's Arse No, No Monday through Saturday and seven trillion no's on Sunday!  Just who are they kidding?  That surpasses obscene.  By orders of magnitude.  And, yeah, I know - don't buy them, then.  You think?!  Okay, that was the only thing I saw but that was enough to stop me dead in my tracks.

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
Also, the civilians were all the good guys. once they knew the bank robbery was happening they all went and found guns and did their best to kill bad guys and save their money.

Marc

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 02:53:17 AM »
Mo, thanks for the tip re: Foundry.  Clicked on over and now the rules are DOA, for me, for a different reason - card driven.  I play miniatures, not card games.  Oh, well.

Still a very cool game displayed here.  And, yeah, it is a cool period with extraordinary variety of possible scenarios.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
Liking this -

RMZ

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
Looks good.  8)

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 12:36:28 PM »
Mo, thanks for the tip re: Foundry.  Clicked on over and now the rules are DOA, for me, for a different reason - card driven.  I play miniatures, not card games.  Oh, well.

Still a very cool game displayed here.  And, yeah, it is a cool period with extraordinary variety of possible scenarios.

This, to me, is a very odd response. I have no ties to the rules other than enjoying them so no problem if you are not interested. However, dismissing them because they use a card initiative system seems strange. Are dice the only allowable option for generating probable events?

Mo

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 02:35:39 AM »
Mo,

Fair question.  I have no objection to cards as a minor mechanism in a miniatures game but I genuinely dislike games where the cards overtake the focus from the miniatures.  Perhaps this is because I am modeler first and a gamer later, even if I'm not a great modeler.  It is the visual that entertains me and I find cards too much of a distraction.  As a for instance of a 'minor' mechanism, the Sword and the Flame using plain playing cards to drive movement and other elements but the cards can be kept off to the side and out of the action.  When cards start to intrude into the action or - so much worse, for me, become the dominant element and the miniatures take a back seat - it just ruins the experience for me.  But, as you suggest, to each their own.  So, if you like card driven games, by all means, play away.

Hope that response is satisfactory to you.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
I'm guessing 'One Hour Skirmish meets The Wild Bunch' would be a bit of a none starter then!

;D