Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An Apocalypse, but like really tiny.  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
An Apocalypse, but like really tiny.
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
We played our first game of Warhammer 40K: Apocalypse last night.  It was 150pts of Dark Angels vs. 250 pts of Orks as it turned out.

The game went pretty quickly after we figured out what we were doing.  The space marine stuff was all pretty much the same with different weapons.  We kept the weapons the same for the different units for the most part to keep it simple.  So razorbacks had twin lascannons, all tac squads had missile launchers but one dev squad had lascannons and the other had heavy bolters.

It was a pretty fun game with lots of guys on the table.  I'm going to give it a try incorporating titans the next time I play it.  We'll see how that goes.  The biggest thing we had on the table this time was an Ork stompa and it was pretty much impossible to kill.

I've had these armies sitting in boxes doing nothing for about 10 years now.  I'm glad I finally found a ruleset that I like to play with them. 

Overall I'm not too keen on how GW has done the apocalypse stuff in terms of selling it.  The big boxed set was 100 bucks and it came with a bunch of cards, the dice, counters and a small rulebook.  It didn't have any of the stuff for the armies in it, and the example they gave of a data card was a drop pod which basically doesn't have much in the way of stats.  So the initial presentation was less than stellar. 

You get a lot of order counters, more than I could really see myself ever using.  There are also lots of all the other stuff.  The cards you get are special tactical advantages that get played during the course of a game.  They are specific to armies so might have been better left out and included with the stat cards for the armies for a concomitant reduction in the price of the base game. 

I doubt I'll ever use the Necron, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Genestealer Cult or Tau cards and I have GSC and Tau armies.  Just ones that are not that big. 

All of the cards are available free on line or you can buy a whole race worth of cards for $25 which is what I did for the Orks and marines.  Not including figures I'm in on this game $150 so far. 

Still if it lets me use my little guys and add some big stompy robots in here and there it will be worth it in the long run I think.

There are more pictures at this link below:

https://imgur.com/a/gBuwhYD

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: An Apocalypse, but like really tiny.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
Sounds interesting. I’ve considered something like that for years. In the fantasy department warmaster models are very well suited to fight large Warhammer battles.

How did you solve templates? (Or aren’t there any?)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »
Great stuff!

Really hope GW bring Epic back, personally I can't stomach 28mm for anything other than skirmish level stuff consisting of a few squads.

Nice to see some old Epic stuff still in use though.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
Excellent. I bought the Apocalypse box with the sole intention of using it with Epic models (and equivalent) just need to finish painting the models!

Your game looks suitably Epic!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:11:47 PM »
Really hope GW bring Epic back, personally I can't stomach 28mm for anything other than skirmish level stuff consisting of a few squads.

While I would like to see a new Epic game, the way that they currently market and sell their games would make me hesitate. GW leans heavily into the accessory market for their games now which increases the price rather dramatically.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:51:41 AM »
"GW leans heavily into the accessory market for their games now which increases the price rather dramatically."

I don't know that that is a fair characterization.  It is true for some games, like Adeptus Titanicus, but it is certainly not true for others.  Necromunda  you don't really need anything but the books to play.  There are tactics cards but you don't need them.  Warcry has cards but if you have the main book you can do without them.  The cards that you do need for that come with the figures, or if you are using AoS figs, can be purchased for less than $10.

Neither AoS nor 40K currently relies on accessories to play. 

"How did you solve templates? (Or aren’t there any?)"

There aren't any templates, so it wasn't a problem. 

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
Neither AoS nor 40K currently relies on accessories to play. 

It isn't universal but you can see in the rollout of all their new games, and some rereleases, that they are breaking the game into chunks and you need to buy those for the full game. Bloodbowl has game cards that are part of Team card packs. Team rules come in the magazines or the Annuals. Adeptus Titanicus has multiple buy-ins required to expand the game. Armageddon is similarly broken into parts that require a secondary purchase.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
I'd probably end up just buying the models and using another or older ruleset with them. I found on a brief read through Titanicus that it felt too micro management which didn't appeal. However I still like the models and have enough to build a basic force.

Similarly I have some of their aeronautica stuff, and I'm hoping the next natural step is Epic.

Right now it seems like they're just dancing around the corners, teasing us with the possibility.  :(

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »
I'd probably end up just buying the models and using another or older ruleset with them. I found on a brief read through Titanicus that it felt too micro management which didn't appeal. However I still like the models and have enough to build a basic force.

Similarly I have some of their aeronautica stuff, and I'm hoping the next natural step is Epic.

Right now it seems like they're just dancing around the corners, teasing us with the possibility.  :(

Maybe they are slowly building up their model options.  I really like the Epic: Armageddon rules so I would hope they just rerelease those

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
"Armageddon is similarly broken into parts that require a secondary purchase."

Not really.  I bought the cards because I can't be bothered to look at them on my phone but you can download all of that stuff for free, so no second purchase necessary.  I wish they had included at least a few basic units for two armies in the game itself.

I like Titanicus although it does have a lot of extra stuff to buy, like the weapons cards and the terminals, although they have made the terminals a download now. 

Right now Titanicus is my favourite GW game.  It really seems to capture the essence of what I imagine enginewar would look like.  It has just enough detail to reflect that without so much that it becomes overwhelming. 

We don't use the maniple special rules and so far have not used any of the special rules for the different Legios but we will work the latter in at some point.  My friend now has a Legion Astorum force and it is ready to play for the most part.  I'm building up Tiger Eyes to fight against it but only have 4 Titans done for them so far.  As soon as both forces are finished we will probably stop using my Legio Mortis and War Griffons for games and just use the Star Runners and Tiger Eyes and do a campaign of some sort.

I run games at one of the local stores and I think we are doing a Titanicus campaign after we finish our current Necromunda campaign.