Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27575 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2020, 06:41:30 PM »
Extract from SHODDY brochure:

"The formidable STRAWS-armed SHODDY has proven to be one of the most popular members of the much loved SHODDY family and with good reason. Featuring a host of upgrades over the already lavishly equipped SHODDY Mark 1 it now equips a large number of Imperial Guard divisions as well as several of the more discerning Space Marine chapters.

Fitted with a devastatingly powerful multi-barrelled missile launcher the vehicle is affectionately referred to as the "Camel" by grateful crews across the Imperium. The origin of this nickname is not known for sure, but it is speculated by us in the SHODDY Marketing Department that this is likely to be a reference to the larger fuel tank fitted to this varient allowing an increased range over desert landscapes. Or perhaps it is due to the enhanced air filtration system that is fitted to these vehicles making them better able to withstand sand storms. We can confirm that it is definitely not related in any way to unsubstantiated reports of the extreme heat generated by the simultaneous firing of a full compliment of missiles coupled with the weight of the STRAWS targeting system causing the hull to crack and the vehicle's back to break..."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:28:07 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline OctaviusAce

• Lurker
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2020, 12:18:07 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I am glad you like my addition to the SHODDY range. A lot of the hatches, headlights exhaust and other attachments were cut from the original turret. The Strategic Targeted Rocket, Anti -tank Weapon Systems, as the name suggests, were made from drinking straws.
Now what to do with the other 7 tanks?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
cracking job great imagination :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2020, 01:16:31 AM »
What a good idea to use parts of the original turret - I will be trying that!

Now what to do with the other 7 tanks?

The possibilities are endless, but given your clear skill with the humble drinking straw my first thoughts were (assuming you had any straws left):

A recoilless rifle armed SHODDY, perhaps multiple barrels like the Ontos.

A massive rack of rocket tubes mounted above the turret in the style of the Sherman Calliope.

A SHODDY AVRE variant for use by the Adeptus Mechanicus including a fascine for crossing trenches.

Whatever you decide I look forward to seeing it!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »
Nice ideas.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
The work to the SHODDY captured by Necrons is now complete.

And supporting my son's Necron infantry:

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »
Good on you for getting out of the GW price fix. you are doing a great job on the conversions.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
Love the idea of Necrons taking over hardware like that. Great job!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
That last conversion came out wonderfully!

Great thread!  :-*

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 10:45:43 PM »
That is cool.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »
You do know Bear’ that your builds are no longer shoddy ;) Great stuff!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2020, 10:37:30 PM »
Synitcythedog: Thank you very much, glad you like them!

Onebigriver: Thanks! It is interesting to imagine what a technologically advanced species might do with any fairly basic human equipment that falls into their hands. I suspect that it might get pressed into service if it could be easily adapted/upgraded, or if there are shortages of more advanced kit. It may not be cutting edge, but it might be good enough for third line garrison duty (or for a suicidal first wave!)

Ray Rivers: Cheers Ray, I will keep going...

Ultravanillasmurf: Thanks!

Blackwolf: Don't let the sleek Necron paint job fool you, Blackwolf, it is still a SHODDY under the bonnet!

And talking of the paint job...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2020, 10:40:14 PM »
"Perkins, Patel, what's going on here? Who gave you permission to brew up?"

The two Necron Warriors scrambled to their feet from where they had been crouched around a makeshift tesla kettle, and snapped to attention with a metallic clank.

"We've finished the paintwork, Sir. Just, er... topping up our reservoirs before we make a start on the weapons checks, Sir."

"Painting all done, eh?" queried the Cryptek, turning to regard the vehicle they were standing next to with his single glowing green eye. The wet paint made the tank glisten in the sunshine. "Ah yes, I see." He analysed the surface of the armour plate.  "Good work on the edge highlights, Perkins! You have come a long way since you were assigned to my workshop on Medusa VII. I recall your first paint job on the Command Barge was so inept I had to tell the Overlord it was an experimental offensive colour pattern designed to give migraines to Aeldari! Yes, this is much better! You would never guess this vehicle started life as a crude human contraption!"

"Thank you, Sir."

"But... what's that? Why have you stuck poor old Corporal Turner's head on the front?"

"Well, Sir, we figured he wasn't going to miss it now, Sir. Not after that accident when he was cleaning the Doomsday Cannon. And we thought giving the tank a "face", so to speak, would make it look more terrifying to the humans, Sir. Make it look like it was an actual robotic creature, Sir."

"I see, Private. Targeting Mankind's gullible and fevered imagination! I like it!"

"Also, the enemy are bound to aim at it, Sir, and the Corporal's forehead is thicker than the glacis plate on this tank, Sir."

"Good thinking, Private. Come to think of it, do you want any other bits? They did not recover much, but I heard they found his left knee joint over by B Squadron."

"Er, no thank you, Sir. I think the head is enough to give the effect we was after."

"Very good, Perkins. In which case I will leave you to carry on."

"Er, there was one thing, Sir."

"Yes, Private, spit it out."

"Well, Sir, we've got a bit of gold paint left over, and Private Patel here and me was thinking about giving the new tank a name. You know, painting it on the side of the hull, Sir.  Patel likes "Susan" after that Nihilakh service unit he met out in the Charadon Sector, but I was thinking we need something a bit more fierce. Not that Susan didn't have a feisty side" Perkins added, winking at Patel, who glared back, "but I thought maybe "Boudicca" was more warlike. Or perhaps even "Maureen" after my old Maternobot back on the Tomb World. She didn't half have a tongue on her, I can tell you!  I once saw her reduce a Flayed One to tears when he..."

"Steady on, men!" The Cryptek exclaimed as his eye flared briefly yellow. "I must remind you that such markings would be against Dynastic regulations! We are not some slovenly human outfit who don't polish their feet and who write graffiti on their vehicles! No! We are Necrons, and we have standards!"

"Sorry, Sir. It was just a thought, Sir."

"Besides" continued the Cryptek, gesturing at the tank with his Eldritch Lance, "it's just a lump of metal. Giving machines names, well, if you ask me..."  The immortal killer robot seemed to shudder "...that's just a bit weird."

"Yes, Sir. Very good Sir."

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »

Perkins and Patel admire their handiwork.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2020, 01:28:00 AM »
That scorpion tank is ridiculous.  And perfect.