Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Egypt vs Abyssinia (Ethiopia), c.1875 - Battle of El Akerish  (Read 2533 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Egypt vs Ethiopia, c.1875 - Battle of El Akerish
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 02:01:14 AM »
Has a bit of a Lovecraftian feel to it, what?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Egypt vs Ethiopia, c.1875 - Battle of El Akerish
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 04:46:22 AM »
Sharp left turn, or is it a speed breaking swerving, fishtailing?

For my pulpish adventure I think there will be The Abyss of Sin.  See what happens?  Po-tay, Po-tot, toe.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:14:35 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
Re: Egypt vs Abyssinia (Ethiopia), c.1875 - Battle of El Akerish
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 12:06:50 AM »
Lovely looking game. I have had TMWWBK gathering dust for ages but haven't got round to reading it, never mind using it for a game. What make are the Abyssinian cavalry please?

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 01:35:35 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
great stuff
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »
Thanks again chaps  :-* :-*

What make are the Abyssinian cavalry please?

Perry Arab horse. Lovely figures, though I confess, slightly rough castings. Once cleaned up they come up very well.

Here’s a close up of the in an early project.

https://agrabbagofgames.wordpress.com/?s=Almoravid+

;)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 11:45:49 PM »
In every possible Italian book of the time (certainly the largest sources for the period)including military and missionary sources the word Abissini is used....I remember that .even the waiters , mainly from Eritrea, that worked in my house during my youth said “Bissini” ..so the translation and consequently the therm Abyssinians is the right one in their very context of 19c. wars..I can add, for what I understood, that calling Ethiopians or Abissinians the whole population of the Menelik or after Negus big Empire would have been very irritating for the rest of the dominated and very proud people (Azebu Galla, Somalis, Afars..)not belonging to the Amhara cast. but for wargame purposes Abissinians is correct as the other people were so unreliable that the various Ras except some  Galla mercenaries horsemen preferred to employ only their own people
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:13:26 AM by italwars »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
Thanks italwars  ;)

Like I said "Abyssinian is probably ‘more’ correct... I prefer Abyssinian also!"  :D ;)

PS Much like my much neglected Abyssinian War blog..I really must get back to that  at some point!

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/it-is-us-today-it-will-be-you-tomorrow/

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:52:23 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 12:35:06 AM »
Both blogs are very nice ...and the painting of minis excellent...I noticed that u used 1935 Abyssinians for 19c battles ..I must confess that they are better than the true 18c . Abissinians produced by some other few manufactures ...what I can do now , after having seen yours? Maybe just send to retirement, sell or melt my over 200 castings depicting Adua Abissinians from Strategia Nuova, Falcon, Bicorne, Irregular ecc and buy those ones of your picts? :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 12:49:11 AM »

PS Much like my much neglected Abyssinian War blog..I really must get back to that  at some point!

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/it-is-us-today-it-will-be-you-tomorrow/

Well you posted here and in your blog this iconic pict of the negus concluding his famous speech in Geneva with the caption” However, what if the League’s members had acted differently and along the way history turned on a few momentous decisions to change the course of the war?”
May I add that The League of the Nations was a notorious British influenced enclave but..what if after the secret meetings in Rome (more than just one) between Mussolini and Eden of which no public records files are still allowed to be seen and researched (personal experience)and no official picts had never been published the Royal Navy had nt been sent to simulate a token blockade of Suez Chanel with guns provided only with blank ammo and with sailors cheering the Italian naval convoy full of invading troops sent to Massawa? ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:05:59 AM by italwars »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
I love your battle reports.
This one is great.
My question to the Abyssinia general,
"What happened ?"
Would be interesting to play the battle across the table.
What would the result  be?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 04:32:49 AM »
"I love your battle reports."

;) :D

"My question to the Abyssinia general...What happened ?""

o_o

...yeah, I asked the same thing...

...oh well, next time!!...though to be fair...it was a glorious charge for a moment or two before he got blown away...and then I did!  lol