Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gripping Beast Gothic Elite Cavalry  (Read 6358 times)

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
Gripping Beast Gothic Elite Cavalry
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:21:21 AM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has bought Gripping Beast's Gothic Elite Cavalry box?

What are the size and sculpting quality like? What do you think of it overall?

Thanks for any information.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:24:20 AM by gregmita »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Gripping Beast Gothic Elite Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
Ditto the above.

I'd be very interested in hearing about what folk think too- I'm thinking of converting them into the critters of the First Age of Middle Earth! Don't ask! :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
Don't own them, but for various kitbashes it sure is nice to have some of these armoured horsies in plastic.

Beyond that, however, I can't help but consider them a major disappointment.

After the nice and highly variable Arab cavalry sets (one light, one heavy) which contained some interesting torsos, heads in different styles and a mix of weapons, I wasn't too impressed with the Dark Age cavalry kit, which had only 3 bodies in dynamic, but because of that very recognizable poses. With bits from their other plastics, however, doors were opened, variation achieved and I liked the overall results (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105912.0).
Since then, they have released one set of Late Roman light cav (don't have it yet, but looks good), and 3 increasingly lacklustre sets of Dark Age "reskins". First (I think) the Late Roman heavy cavalry, which has the same horses, shields and weapons as the Dark Age kit. The vexilium appears the same as the one included in the infantry kit, but most importantly the bodies are exactly those from the Dark Age set but with armour. Same legs, same poses, just a coat of mail over the torsos. Then the Goth Nobles were released: same sprue as the Romans, but with new heads and the draco standard (from the Dark Age kit) in exchange for the oval shields. Otherwise identical from what I can see. And now the Goth Elites. Exactly the same as the Goth Nobles. Same draco standard, same shields, same heads, same vexilium, same weapons, but with the new armoured horses. The good news is that for kitbashing, there now exists no reason to invest in the Goth Nobles, as their bits are covered by this set. And they say I'm not an optimist...  ::)

With all that said, one thing is certain: if you want to know if they are any good, you can find any reviews of especially the Roman heavies or Goth Noble cavalry, and that should tell you all you need to know, as they are basically identical.  ;)

I'd be very interested in hearing about what folk think too- I'm thinking of converting them into the critters of the First Age of Middle Earth! Don't ask! :)
May I.. perhaps.. inquire what exactly they would be for anyway? (Sorry! Couldn't restrain myself. I really did try...)
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »

May I.. perhaps.. inquire what exactly they would be for anyway? (Sorry! Couldn't restrain myself. I really did try...)

Théoden (men) type 'heroes', stuff along those lines. Main characters from the First Age.

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed description. I'm mainly interested in the conversion potential, since AFAIK this is the first set of plastic cavalry with scale or lamellar horse armour. It sounds like the riders are not ideal, but I'm curious about the quality of the horses, which I don't think has been done before.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »
I dont own them myself, but according to all reviews (and I've read a lot of them lately) all the Dark Age cavalry sets are rather minimal. You get the parts you need for 12 horsemen and maybe a couple of extra arms, but no more.

That said I can see a lot of conversion potential in them myself. They've appeared in a few Game of Thrones treads in the fantasy section, usually heavily kitbashed with Frostgrave and Fireforge bits.

For my 2 cents its a crummy set in itself, but the conversion potential is good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:11:15 AM by Munindk »

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
I've used the Dark age cavalry in my Game of Thrones project for example. Not hugely impressed with the sculpts on those horses though. Haven't seen any good pics of the armoured ones so I can't really comment but I do think GBs plastic quality is not up to scratch with the rest of the market. Their newer releases seem to be getting worse too.

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »
I have a box of these, I will respond to this when I get home from work with some comparisons to perry's.

They are pretty decent sculpts for the horses, they get away with it because the armour covers the sometimes janky style of the Gripping Beast horse sculpts, but they are pretty large. Comparable to victrix horses or perhaps closer to fireforge, armour obviously adds a layer.

12 in a box for $45 aud is pretty decent value though
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:41:59 PM by ColonelMutumbu »
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 04:57:13 AM »
as promised some hopefully useful comparisons, in the multi shot from left to right its, warlord samurai, gb gothic elite cav, perry wars of the roses cav, gw morgul knight
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:39:36 AM by ColonelMutumbu »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
The information shared in this thread is brilliant, really helps in making purchase decisions.

And that warrior of Khand kitbash..... wow! Incredible!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 06:25:29 AM »
You're welcome Rick. Also I'm so glad that you picked what he was right away. I just took the GW aesthetic because I liked and took it to it's logical conclusion

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
It is an absolutely brilliant design. Inspiring to be honest, when I get around to Khand that is.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
Very nice kitbash, and thanks for the size comparisons. I'm looking for models for the exactly same purpose, to go as Easterling kataphrakts along my Khandish horsemen, so I think I have found my go to option.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »
Agreed. Brilliant conversion. Like that GB-armored horse a lot.
Leadhead

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »
That conversion is very nice - I took him for an Avar at first because of the horse armour and face mask, but then, no stirrups, which is the big thing we have to thank the Avars for