Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686494
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy skirmish recommendations?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Striga86

• Student
Fantasy skirmish recommendations?
« on: January 25, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
Hi everyone!

I you guys to share with me some of your collective wisdom:) I'm looking for a skirmish wargame with rpg elements that preferably works with dungeon crawls. I have a ton of random monster minis and it sucks to see them gathering dust. I know of Rangers of the Shadow Deep and other similar games (Frostrgrave etc.), but it doesn't allow me to use half of my collection so it's a no-go. I'm also not good with designing custom profiles. Maybe there's a less known game that I've missed? Or maybe there's a way to use some pen&paper rpgs as wargames? I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts:)

Online Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Fantasy skirmish recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:28:11 PM »
Take a look at the sticky thread above for a discussion on a range of skirmish rules. It may be of help.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116288.0

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »
I know of Rangers of the Shadow Deep and other similar games (Frostrgrave etc.), but it doesn't allow me to use half of my collection so it's a no-go.

Why are they not allowed? I'm playing RoSD w a Norse theme, and using the minis I want, and plugging them into the profiles from the game. If I want really specific things out of them, I'll jigger the stats, but otherwise gnolls = trolls, spiders- wolves, whatever...

Those are FG and RoSD are two very fun games, and I'd hate to have you miss them because they "require" certain minis. What are you looking to use, minis-wise?

Otherworld Skirmish is fun, as is 7th Voyage.

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »
I know of Rangers of the Shadow Deep and other similar games (Frostrgrave etc.), but it doesn't allow me to use half of my collection so it's a no-go. I'm also not good with designing custom profiles. Maybe there's a less known game that I've missed?

What exactly in the rules of Shadow Deep and other similar games Frostrgrave prevent you from using any miniatures you want?  Both games are not miniature specific.  Nothing stops you from using Orcs as your war band.  Also, you are talking about 6 in a warband and you can proxy any monsters you want. 

There is very little to designing a custom profile.  You can literally pick stats at random to start and upgrade as you go along.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Our most recent RPG campaign uses (mostly) Savage Worlds for the role-playing, but for the combat we are using almost straight-up Mordheim.  Still my favorite fantasy skirmish rules (we are using a different initiative system rather than Mordheims IGOUGO system).

-Michael

Offline Striga86

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
Why are they not allowed? I'm playing RoSD w a Norse theme, and using the minis I want, and plugging them into the profiles from the game. If I want really specific things out of them, I'll jigger the stats, but otherwise gnolls = trolls, spiders- wolves, whatever...

Those are FG and RoSD are two very fun games, and I'd hate to have you miss them because they "require" certain minis. What are you looking to use, minis-wise?

Otherworld Skirmish is fun, as is 7th Voyage.

Because for example if I put kobolds or goblins on the table I'd like some rules to make them unique and not just 'count as gnolls':) I haven't heard of 7th Voyage, I will check it out. I'm waiting to see what will 2nd edition of Frostgrave bring, maybe then I'll jump on board:)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »
... (we are using a different initiative system rather than Mordheims IGOUGO system).
As my group are huge Mordheim rules fans too, would you care to share your revised approach to initiative?

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
Song of Blades and Heroes and its various supplements will give you all you need.
Deceptively simple system for activation and plenty of pre-designed monsters (with the option of creating your own if you ever decide to give that a go).

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
It may not be dungeon oriented enough for your purposes, but The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is an awfully tight system, and it would be easy to stat up most monsters in your collection, I should think.

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Hi everyone!

I you guys to share with me some of your collective wisdom:) I'm looking for a skirmish wargame with rpg elements that preferably works with dungeon crawls. I have a ton of random monster minis and it sucks to see them gathering dust. I know of Rangers of the Shadow Deep and other similar games (Frostrgrave etc.), but it doesn't allow me to use half of my collection so it's a no-go. I'm also not good with designing custom profiles. Maybe there's a less known game that I've missed? Or maybe there's a way to use some pen&paper rpgs as wargames? I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts:)

Sounds familiar to me ;). I have the very same problem and are always looking for "that" game.

But I don't think it will ever exist in this form. My current solution is to split the games into skirmish and rpg. If I want to smash heads than I play some good old skirmish games like middle earth sbg, song of blades and heroes, frostgrave, otherworld fantasy skirmish etc.

And for my rpg desires I use dungeon crawl classics, white box fantastical medival adventure game, basic fantasy, the black hack etc.

Some games you can look into, where you can lvl up (only some lvls and thats it, but better than nothing) is Dungones and Dragons adventure boardgame series, widower's wood or undercity from privateer press or maybe the new lotr boardgame journeys in middle earth.
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Song of Blades and Heroes and its various supplements will give you all you need.
Deceptively simple system for activation and plenty of pre-designed monsters (with the option of creating your own if you ever decide to give that a go).

A good suggestion. I also like 2 Hour Dungeon Crawl from Two Hour Wargames.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 05:07:01 AM »
Surprised no one has mentioned the excellent Sellswords & Spellslingers. For co-op/solo play, it’s my fave system for skirmish battles.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »
How about the early warhammers?

Gabbi

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Song of Blades... could be what you're looking for.

Otherwise, Ares by Majestic XII is a nice generalist fantasy skirmish. It has a point system to build your own troops plus ready-made army lists for the most common fantasy races.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16768/ARES-Expanded-Rulebook?affiliate_id=125748
Demo vesrion available on Mj12 website: http://www.mj12games.com/ares/aresdemo.pdf

More specifically dungeon-themed, the first two that come to mind are:

Dungeon Scum by Nordic Weasel (got this one, yet to give it a read).
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/192168/Dungeon-Scum?affiliate_id=125748

2 Hour Dungeon Crawl by THW. Not a fan of their system, but I'm aware many others appreciate them.
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/148237/2-Hour-Dungeon-Crawl?affiliate_id=125748

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 02:17:46 PM »
+1 for (the unfortunately titled) Dungeon Scum.

only had a light peruse so far, but like the mechanics  - their lightness and potential ease of customisation etc.

** having read a little more deeply - I do indeed like some of the mechanics: but I think the lightness of the framework has to be stressed. Many will customise the rules (the combat seems too quick and simple to me - and the group morale element is an odd choice that needs more 'crunch' I think).

Going to continue to read through and  see how the extra published rules and items (there's an 'addditional' rules supplement and 2 'scummer' magazines) play with them.
I do like the tone and approach a lot - remains to be seen if the 'RPG' element  seems to work or not.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:46:43 PM by Bloggard »