Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yet Another WSS Question  (Read 557 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Yet Another WSS Question
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:14:56 PM »
So back in... 2004 'Somebody' in the UK ran a 'Blenheim Anniversary Game'
In 28mm.

The photos were very impressive.

As part of their research for this (I think it was 'them') they eventually posted a lot of uniform info. online.

One of the units listed was the Bavarian 'Leibgarde Grenadiers' in RED tunics with white facings.

Haven't started them yet, but thought that they'd look nice mixed in with the other Sky Blue infantry.

However, today I'm scrolling through a more 'current' web site, and the Leibgarde Grenadiers illustration has them in the traditional Sky Blue Tunic.
Again with white facings.  AND... there is another illustration of something referred to as the 'Red' Grenadiers.  In red tunic with red cuffs.

All this comes as a great surprise to me.  Was the original (2004) info. an accidental merging of the two (different) units ?

Thanks,
MW

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
Re: Yet Another WSS Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
The Bavarians had 2 grenadier units. One was part of the Leib Garde regiment along with 2 'ordinary' battalions. Ths unit was in the normal Bavarian blue. As has been previously discussed I would not call this 'sky blue' but certainly it is a shade of blue.

The second unit was intended to also be part of a 2 or 3 battalion regiment but only the grenadiers were ever raised. This is known as the Boismorel, De La Colonie or 'Red' grenadiers and was in red. This unit is very well known because one of the best accounts of the war was written by De La Colonie'

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:30:23 AM by WFGamers »

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Yet Another WSS Question
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »
Further to the previous answer, the Leib Garde had (as was said) three battalions, two of fusiliers and one of grenadiers.  However, most sources have the grenadier battalion with blue cuffs (as per the coat) rather than the white facings of the fusiliers; I have a suspicion that this may have been because it was formed from the grenadiers of the rest of the Bavarian infantry, bar the Kurprinz regiment, which is also listed as having its own grenadiers, but - again this is just my suspicion - these were included within each company (rather like pikemen had been) and were drawn out and assembled in a distinct company per battalion ie more conventional.  The Kurprinz grenadiers also had blue cuffs, of the same hue as their uniforms.

The Boismorel/De La Colonie grenadier battalion, was, as noted, part of a larger unit that was never completed; it was supposed to be formed from French refugees/survivors who had joined up with Bavarian forces.  Almost all of the infantry was engaged at the disaster at the Schellenburg, prior to Blenheim, and together the twin defeats led to a major downsizing and reconstruction of the Bavarian army.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.