Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Halfling Pike  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Halfling Pike
« on: January 26, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
Got me a box of the new Wargames Atlantic halflings before Xmas. Turns out there's only 8 out of 40 who have shouldered pikes. I wanted a whole regiment armed in that pose. So ... weeks of fiddling later, one of the longest kit-bashing projects I have ever done, they are finally modeled. I had to source pike heads and shafts, hands to chop and drill through, shaving plastic off certain shoulders and arms and even fingers, twisting this, bending that, and even using some upside down arms (!). And that is just the right arms, the left ones needing work too as only a couple on each sprue worked 'out of the box'! I have now modeled 36, and I have to say I really like them, although whether they were worth all the effort I cannot say  ...

The only three without pikes are the command group - a standard bearer (another kit bash), halberd-armed sergeant and a musician ...

The R&F all have shouldered pikes, so good for campaign pictures (I never model anything nowadays with only the tabletop in mind).

Now I just have to paint and base them all! (Oh, and get a poorly player to tell me their next move so I can move the campaign on!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:55:14 PM by Padrissimus »
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Halfling Pike
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »
That's a great looking unit so far! Adorable lil kettle helms

Do you have any plans for a colour scheme yet?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
They will be yellow and light blue like my other 'Verezzan' halflings ...

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »
They look amazing. All of your hard work paid off.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
What work you have put in and I would say well worth the effort, looking forward to seeing them painted up. :)

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
Nice.
And i'm sure you'll agree that when looking at this fine unit all that hard work was worth it. ANd they're not even painted yet.
But, considering how popular this kit seems to be: for your next unit I would consider asking around on the internet for spare pikearms.
I wouldn't be surprised if even perry miniatures pike arms would fit.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
Good work, always like seeing a good conversion job.

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
I'm beginning to get the idea that you like Pikes...  lol

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
And yet he chooses to himself wield a musket!

Really like your halfling pike unit there, Padrissimus. Very much worth the effort. Will you be tempted by more halflings armed with other weaponry eventually?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »
Those long poles must put an awful strain on the little fellows' arms. I'd imagine a halfling would prefer a half pike.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
I’m not 100% sold on the minis (what you’ve done looks great) so I can’t wait to see them painted. I’m enjoying your Tilean thread very much.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
@ Mr J: The other helmets weren't really to my taste, in terms of the campaign, but I liked the idea of 'older-fashioned' kettle pots for the halflings, perhaps passed down through the centuries. But then, it's a fantasy world so maybe I am over thinking it?

Those long poles must put an awful strain on the little fellows' arms. I'd imagine a halfling would prefer a half pike.

Ah, but they do indeed already have half pikes ...

@ Gibby: Yes, I am an humble musketeer myself, not at all a gentleman of the pike. As for more halflings, I think it is possible that every halfling of fighting age in Verezzo has already been enlisted!

@ Maddoc: It is Tilea that likes them, not I. I like Tilea and so am at one remove from the pike-liking.

Thanks everyone else, too.

BTW, I forgot to mention, the box comes with 8 shouldered halberds too, which I turned into pikes by hacking off the halberd shaft above the hand, then adding the top part of the other pike from the sprue, which comes withe hands attached ready for a thrusting pose! So, before you need to start scrounging elsewhere for shafts and heads, you can wangle up 16 shouldered pike from one box. Still a way off 36. I am wondering whether there might be some sort of unit filler I might be able to make, perhaps 2 by 2 bases in size, in case I ever want to field them as a 40. Maybe some sort of beer barrel cart or some such?

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
Picnic hampers :D

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »
Cool conversions

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 06:29:08 PM »
Given how much halflings love food, it's hardly surprising that so many of them go for pikes, as they have an obvious secondary - or perhaps primary - use to store and transport poultry, hams and cheeses.

When not in play, the miniatures would serve as cocktail sticks.